A TRIBUTE TO QUAD's UNSUNG HEROES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope! Just there's only one of me.. and about 4,678 old Quads to keep tabs on!
(Give or take 3,678.. :eek: )

Thanks Fredems,

I just know one day Sir Elton, will probably knight you one day soon, and who knows.......maybe present you with his quad mix of "Madman Across The Water".:D

A small update plus additions to the list of things we still need to find..

Andre Kostelanetz - Conducts Music From Spain (MQ 32865)(1974) - Quad Remix and Sound Supervisor: Raymond Moore

----
Still to find:

Popular:

Ray Conniff - The Happy Sound of Ray Conniff / The Great Hits of Yesterday (probably Bogert but would like to see a US back cover to verify)
Ray Conniff - Themes from S.W.A.T. and MASH & Others
Rick Derringer - Spring Fever
Percy Faith - In Concert [Japan]
Percy Faith - New Thing
Percy Faith - The Entertainer (probably Bogert like Chinatown but want to verify)
Andre Kostelanetz - Plays Michael Legrand's Greatest Hits (CQ-32580)
Johnny Mathis - Love Story [Japan]
Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Stars And Stripes Forever
Charlie Rich - The Best Of

Classical:

W.A. MOZART: Concerto No. 1 in B flat for Violin & Orchestra K.207; Concerto No. 3 in G for Violin & Orchestra, K.216 (Zukerman, Barenboim, English Chamber Orchestra) MQ-32301

GUSTAV MAHLER: Symphony No. 2 in c "Resurrection" (Armstrong, Baker, Bernstein, London Symphony, Edinburgh Festival Choir) M2Q-32681 [2 LP]

JEAN SIBELIUS: Symphony No. 4 in A, Op. 63; Swan of Tuonela (from Four Legends, Op. 22) (Bernstein/New York Philharmonic) MQ-32843

ARNOLD SCHOENBERG: Gurre-Lieder (Napier, Minton, Thomas, Nimsgern, Boulez/BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus) M2Q-33303 [2 LP]

JULES MASSENET: La Navarraise (Popp, Vanzo, Souzay, Almeida/London Symphony; Ambrosian Opera Chorus) MQ-33506

Thanks for the Kostelanetz/Spain SQ credit to Raymond Moore :upthumb

Is there definitely a U.S. SQ of Happy Sound Of Ray Conniff?
If so I'll try and track a copy down for the team/the project.

Also, as I mentioned yesterday, do Themes from SWAT and The Entertainer actually exist in those guises in Quad?
Similar track listings come under alternate titles of Send In The Clowns and Chinatown respectively in Quad..
but if someone has proof otherwise that would be great and I'll look out for SWAT and Entertainer SQ's.

Kostelanetz/Legrand I have a copy of the SQ on the way (I've had some bad luck with ppl sending the stereo in error,
or I'd have the info for you already, or at least a fighting chance at getting the info at any rate).

Charlie Rich Best Of SQ in the mail right now too, despatched today, will update here as and when.

Is Johnny Mathis Love Story Quad a Japan only job with no US/UK/Euro SQ/Q8 alternative?

Thanks Fredems,

I just know one day Sir Elton, will probably knight you one day soon, and who knows.......maybe present you with his quad mix of "Madman Across The Water".:D

Haha.. Only the real Queen can knight you! Her Majesty's a very nice girl and all that.. ;)

You know what pisses me off somewhat, there are probably people who have that so-called SQ-encoded Madman Across The Water bootleg and just sit jerking themselves off over it ("I've got the only copy in existence, I'm king of the fucking world").. the hoarding mentality with these hobbies is rather pathetic. Blah. Rant over, sorry :)

Haha.. Only the real Queen can knight you! Her Majesty's a very nice girl and all that.. ;)

You know what pisses me off somewhat, there are probably people who have that so-called SQ-encoded Madman Across The Water bootleg and just sit jerking themselves off over it ("I've got the only copy in existence, I'm king of the fucking world").. the hoarding mentality with these hobbies is rather pathetic. Blah. Rant over, sorry :)

I hear ya, good buddy!

Oh Sir Elton, if you can see this appeal, please respond, and thank you in advance.

In the meantime I just thought I'd post this ad, with such a promising statement-gotta be from Frank Zappa himself.

20160129_201059.jpg20160129_201137.jpg

Is there definitely a U.S. SQ of Happy Sound Of Ray Conniff?
If so I'll try and track a copy down for the team/the project.

I haven't seen one but it has a US catalog # in the surround discography (CQ-33139 (SQ), CAQ-33139 (Q8)) so I think it's safe to assume so, although it probably didn't sell in big numbers. CBS's #1 quad market was the US, I don't think they'd go to the trouble of mixing something by a US artist only to release it in Europe and Israel.

Also, as I mentioned yesterday, do Themes from SWAT and The Entertainer actually exist in those guises in Quad?
Similar track listings come under alternate titles of Send In The Clowns and Chinatown respectively in Quad..
but if someone has proof otherwise that would be great and I'll look out for SWAT and Entertainer SQ's.

I haven't seen SWAT but The Entertainer definitely exists, I've seen the Q8 in a post on this very site. Also the catalog numbers are different. Chinatown is a reissue of The Entertainer (of sorts) - they removed a couple of tracks and added a couple of others, for some reason, only a few months after The Entertainer came out so it's probably pretty scarce. Send In The Clowns and SWAT look to be entirely different albums except for they share the 'Theme From SWAT' track in common - 'Clowns' looks to be popular songs of the time, and 'SWAT' looks to be movie and TV themes.

Is Johnny Mathis Love Story Quad a Japan only job with no US/UK/Euro SQ/Q8 alternative?

Love Story is apparently a Japan-only release, and it does seem to exist - there was a listing for it on eBay in January from a Japanese seller but frustratingly without a picture in the listing.

From a post by QQ member 'Q8' just verifying a couple of these titles exist in US form - presumably if the Q8 exists the SQ LP does too:

View attachment 18631
View attachment 18636

I haven't seen one but it has a US catalog # in the surround discography (CQ-33139 (SQ), CAQ-33139 (Q8)) so I think it's safe to assume so, although it probably didn't sell in big numbers. CBS's #1 quad market was the US, I don't think they'd go to the trouble of mixing something by a US artist only to release it in Europe and Israel.

I haven't seen SWAT but The Entertainer definitely exists, I've seen the Q8 in a post on this very site. Also the catalog numbers are different. Chinatown is a reissue of The Entertainer (of sorts) - they removed a couple of tracks and added a couple of others, for some reason, only a few months after The Entertainer came out so it's probably pretty scarce. Send In The Clowns and SWAT look to be entirely different albums except for they share the 'Theme From SWAT' track in common - 'Clowns' looks to be popular songs of the time, and 'SWAT' looks to be movie and TV themes.

Love Story is apparently a Japan-only release, and it does seem to exist - there was a listing for it on eBay in January from a Japanese seller but frustratingly without a picture in the listing.

From a post by QQ member 'Q8' just verifying a couple of these titles exist in US form - presumably if the Q8 exists the SQ LP does too:

View attachment 18631
View attachment 18636

Ok... the search continues...! :D

Update;
Just bought a copy of the SQ Entertainer so will post back with findings on that as & when.. and I have found the US SQ release of Conniff's Happy Sounds, I just need to work out a deal with a seller in Europe :) Oh and there's a couple of people selling the Mathis JP SQ but prices they're asking are way too high for me at this point, I'm working on it tho'.. :eek:

One more to add to the list of titles that probably have back cover credits:

Barry Manilow - This One's For You (AQ-4090) (1976)

I think this was the last of the 10 or so quad titles that Arista released, and the only one that was released as a CD-4 record but not on Q8. Copies of Manilow's other two quad releases seem pretty plentiful (relatively speaking) on eBay but this one seems much harder to locate. His other two CD-4's had a quad production/remix credit on the back of the sleeve so I imagine this one will too.

One more to add to the list of titles that probably have back cover credits:

Barry Manilow - This One's For You (AQ-4090) (1976)

I think this was the last of the 10 or so quad titles that Arista released, and the only one that was released as a CD-4 record but not on Q8. Copies of Manilow's other two quad releases seem pretty plentiful (relatively speaking) on eBay but this one seems much harder to locate. His other two CD-4's had a quad production/remix credit on the back of the sleeve so I imagine this one will too.

Well I doubt I'll be able to ever help out with that one, unless I take the plunge and go CD-4 and that seems pretty unlikely..
Poor Barry's had to be rushed for surgery btw, trouble with his jaw apparently.. it would be terrible if he were unable to sing again.

This is from the back cover of the stereo version of the Ray Conniff 'SWAT/MASH Themes' album, seems to confirm all the other albums were available in quad including Send In The Clowns and Happy Sound Of, etc.

s-l1600.jpg

One more that I think will have a back cover credit (and that FredBlue WILL NOT BUY because it's a CD-4 record) but just leaving it here in case someone else has a copy:

Godspell - Official Soundtrack (Arista AQ-4001) (1976)

It's easy enough to find an image of the front cover online but the back is proving more elusive.

R-1922995-1328041181.jpeg.jpg

Thanks Bill..! Fab! :upthumb

So, am I to take it that for those that don't have a distinct remix engineer credit I should use the recording engineer credit?

I guess so there is no other info on the LP, I will add more of CD-4 LP`s later on....there is no info on the Elvis via Satellite that I could see on the LP.
Bill...

Thanks Bill..! Fab! :upthumb

So, am I to take it that for those that don't have a distinct remix engineer credit I should use the recording engineer credit?

Not to play spoiler, but all the RCA quad back covers are identical to their stereo counterparts - to me that's not definitive enough proof that these guys did the quad mixes.

Just personal opinion here, but in the interest of accuracy I think you need to adopt the methodology of erring on the side of caution and only crediting for quad remixes where they're explicitly stated as such. Sure, it's possible that all the RCA quads were mixed by the same guys that did the stereo mixes, but it's just as possible that RCA had some kind of quad remix room staffed by a bunch of uncredited junior engineers - the truth is we just don't know. The same goes with all the Ovation titles, and the uncredited WEA and Columbia quads - you have a 50% chance of being right if you guess, but for every wrong guess you add you're devaluing all of the legitimate accurate research we've done here.

N.B. This is by no means definitive and is an addendum for now to the main list, as not all details can be verified at this time
(plus I got bored and was mucking around a bit, clearly Voldemort didn't mix any Quads.. though you wanna hear some of his 5.1's, it's amazing what that bloke could do with no ears.. and they say Quad's for people with 4 ears.. :D )

Question: Which of the people credited on the Jefferson Airplane Volunteers is/are likely to be the one(s) doing the Quad remixing?
Is it Pat Ieraci Mauriceman? Or is that a pun/anagram?

Brian Christian (2 x QUAD mixes):
Number 10 - The Guess Who,
Road Food - The Guess Who

Jim Crotty (1 x QUAD mix):
Dimension III - Jimmy Castor Bunch

Bill Voldemort (2 x Harry Potter spells):
Take Time To Love Her, I Used All The Rohypnol On My Wife - Nat Stuckey
If Its Alright With You I'm Killing My Husband - Rosemary West

Richie Schmitt, Pete Abbott, Artie Torgersen, Mike Moran (1 x QUAD mix):
Sandman - Harry Nilsson

Grover Helsley (1 x QUAD mix):
Rockin' Soul - The Hues Corporation

Chuck Seitz & Bill Vandenort (1 x QUAD mix):
Super Pickers - Chet Atkins

Bernard Keville (2 x QUAD mixes):
The Entertainer - Virgil Fox at The Mighty Wichita Wurlitzer
Greatest Hits Of The 70s - Arthur Fiedler Boston Pops

Jim McKell (1 x QUAD mix):
If The Shoe Fits - Pure Prairie League

Mike Moran (1 x QUAD mix):
Hair

Mickey Crofford (2 x QUAD mixes):
Country Gentleman - Henry Mancini
Return Of The Pink Panther - Henry Mancini

Tom Pick (1 x QUAD mix):
Travelin' - Danny Davis & The Nashville Brass

Tom Pick, Leslie Ladd and Lord Brian Voldemort engineer of doom (1 x Quad):
Super Cunty Tits - Floyd Cramer

Jim Croily, Pete Abbott, Hank Magill (1 x QUAD miix):
It's Been A Long Time - The New Birth

Anthony Salvatore (1 x QUAD mix):
Stokowski Conducts Brahms

Paul Goodman (6 x QUAD mixes):
Charles Ives Symphony No.2 - Ormandy & Phil Orch.,
Debussy/Ravel - La Mer - Ormandy & Phil Orch.,
Heavy Organ At Carnegie Hall - Virgil Fox,
Sheer Sonic Sorcery! The Fantastic Philadelphians - Ormandy & Phil Orch.,
Tchaikovsky 5th Symphony - Ormandy & Phil Orch.,
William Tell/Spectacular Overtures - Ormandy & Phil Orch.

Rick Ruggieri (1 x QUAD mix):
Calabasas - B W Stevenson

Last edited:
Hi. steelydave
I was hoping you would steep in because you have more knowledge of CD-4 LP`s than I do....

Not to play spoiler, but all the RCA quad back covers are identical to their stereo counterparts - to me that's not definitive enough proof that these guys did the quad mixes.

Just personal opinion here, but in the interest of accuracy I think you need to adopt the methodology of erring on the side of caution and only crediting for quad remixes where they're explicitly stated as such. Sure, it's possible that all the RCA quads were mixed by the same guys that did the stereo mixes, but it's just as possible that RCA had some kind of quad remix room staffed by a bunch of uncredited junior engineers - the truth is we just don't know. The same goes with all the Ovation titles, and the uncredited WEA and Columbia quads - you have a 50% chance of being right if you guess, but for every wrong guess you add you're devaluing all of the legitimate accurate research we've done here.

Back