ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening to Marty Robbins : El Paso. One of my favorites. That was some damn fine 5.1 Crimson tonight!

Now it's onto Blue Bayou with Linda Ronstadt.

Last edited:
This is not any 'easy' listen! You are surrounded by lots of overdubbed Cello (an instrument I love - deeply expressive tones), it is very much a conceptual classical piece in a number of movements. I think I've only listened to it once since I bought it, so this time I found it 'interesting' but 'disturbing', the music put me on 'edge' - but you are immersed in the fantastic sound of cellos! If you fancy being 'challenged' get it. One of the additional videos features a choir - and credited is Sonja Kristina (Curved Air).

Has anyone heard marvin ayres - harmogram suite (5.1)? I Listened to clips on youtube, but I'm curious how it sounds in 5.1? Can be found on Burning Shed.

my brother texted me earlier about the current state of technology.. specifically with regard to companies he loves (Apple, B&O, Sony)

my reply (rant)...

"Yes! B&O were an amazing company.. but it's not just them that have gone downhill.. Sony are next to useless now (it's all PlayStation for them, that's all they make money out of now), Apple are more into phones and iPads than they are computers (what they were known for that made them great was their Mac OS interface.. still miles better than Windows but now nobody buys Macs and Apple themselves seem disinterested in their own desktop computers!!)

..isn't it ironic that as technology has progressed and there's so much they could do now with the advancements in technology, that things have gone backwards in some ways.. and most low to mid end consumer grade electronic gear is dumbed down and less stylish and less well engineered than ever.

The 70s and early-to-mid 80's are now sometimes referred to as "the golden age of Hi-Fi" ..and with good reason!
..by the early 90's it was all over, CDs in shitty little
cases with postage stamp album covers and machinery with plastic crap replacing beautiful chrome and wood.. Digital had taken over and though it brought many good things it was not the saviour of the world some industry types and journo's made it out to be.

Things then took a massive nosedive for me with mp3.. and then Apple drove the final nail in the coffin with their downloads. They have helped to kill off hi fi. "Nobody" buys music in decent sound quality anymore (if more people knew what MP3 and iTunes plus/AAC does, literally throwing away the music to digitally compress it into a small file, they wouldn't buy all those iTunes downloads..!) "nobody" buys albums anymore (just individual tracks) so the album as we know it is a dying thing.. "nobody" listens to music on proper speakers it's all Sonos and soundbars.. stop the world I wanna get off!"

yes, especially when you have legends like Bill Nelson (Be-Bop Deluxe) calling me an "audiophile" cause I mentioned his stuff decodes great on my Home Stereo system (I guess that's what it takes to BE an "Audiophile" these days...)...
It made me very proud too! ;)

:smokin

yes, especially when you have legends like Bill Nelson (Be-Bop Deluxe) calling me an "audiophile" cause I mentioned his stuff decodes great on my Home Stereo system (I guess that's what it takes to BE an "Audiophile" these days...)...
It made me very proud too! ;)

:smokin

Willie Nelson, you say? Oh, that Stardust SACD is so much more audiophilic than any other version.. and it decodes so much nicer, it must be the higher resolution :eek:

For the musicians here, we all know how frustrating it can be to sit down with your instrument, cue up a CD and attempt to figure out how to play a difficult piece of music. It's also frustrating if you purchase some sheet music only to find that what you purchased is a pale representation of the artist's original recording. Well, I finally found a transcript of a difficult piece of music that had been frustrating me for years and figured I would share it with you all:

cowbell_zpsa0rap1md.jpg

:ugham:

There's only one thing wrong with that shite music..

It needs...

MORE COWBELL...!!!!

:banana:

I actually believe that every album should be released with an alternate mix which includes cowbell on every track just for when you find yourself in the mood for cowbell.

Right now, close your eyes and imagine Britney Spears' Toxic with cowbell in it. Wow! Man I need me some more of that!

Careless Whispers by Wham! Bam! Cowbell Fest right there on the dance floor.

The only reason I'm not getting the new Tales From Topographic Oceans set is because Wilson did not include an alternate mix with cowbell. That would have been amazing.

Oh well. I can dream. ;)

I actually believe that every album should be released with an alternate mix which includes cowbell on every track just for when you find yourself in the mood for cowbell.

Right now, close your eyes and imagine Britney Spears' Toxic with cowbell in it. Wow! Man I need me some more of that!

Careless Whispers by Wham! Bam! Cowbell Fest right there on the dance floor.

The only reason I'm not getting the new Tales From Topographic Oceans set is because Wilson did not include an alternate mix with cowbell. That would have been amazing.

Oh well. I can dream. ;)

Yes, Simon, what would Monteverdi's VESPERS be without COWBELLS?

Because November wasn't going to be expensive enough for music fans, there's a 36 disc set of live Bob Dylan recordings from 1966 coming out. Apparently it's every known recording from that year. It has the following concerts:

CD 1 -Sydney, April 13, 1966 (Soundboard recorded by TCN 9 TV Australia)
CD 2 -Sydney, April 13, 1966 (Soundboard recorded by TCN 9 TV Australia)
CD 3 -Melbourne, April 20, 1966 (Soundboard / unknown broadcast)
CD 4 -Copenhagen, May 1, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 5 -Dublin, May 5, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 6 -Dublin, May 5, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 7 -Belfast, May 6, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 8 -Belfast, May 6, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 9 -Bristol, May 10, 1966 (Soundboard / audience)
CD 10 -Bristol, May 10, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 11 -Cardiff, May 11, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 12 -Birmingham, May 12, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 13 -Birmingham, May 12, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 14 -Liverpool, May 14, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 15 -Leicester, May 15, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 16 -Leicester, May 15, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 17 -Sheffield, May 16, 1966 (CBS Records recording)
CD 18 -Sheffield, May 16, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 19 -Manchester, May 17, 1966 (CBS Records recording)
CD 20 -Manchester, May 17, 1966 (CBS Records recording except Soundcheck/ Soundboard)
CD 21 -Glasgow, May 19, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 22 -Edinburgh, May 20, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 23 -Edinburgh, May 20, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 24 -Newcastle, May 21, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 25 -Newcastle, May 21, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 26 -Paris, May 24, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 27 -Paris, May 24, 1966 (Soundboard)
CD 28 -London, May 26, 1966 (CBS Records recording)
CD 29 -London, May 26, 1966 (CBS Records recording)
CD 30 -London, May 27, 1966 (CBS Records recording)
CD 31 -London, May 27, 1966 (CBS Records recordings)
CD 32 -White Plains, NY, February 5, 1966 (Audience tape)
CD 33 -Pittsburgh, PA, February 6, 1966 (Audience tape)
CD 34 -Hempstead, NY, February 26, 1966 (Audience tape)
CD 35 -Melbourne, April 19, 1966 (Audience tape)
CD 36 -Stockholm, April 29, 1966 (Audience tape)

Have you guys seen this TFF Everybody Wants To Rule The World played in Ted Yoders back yard with Curt Smith and Jamie Wollam, I really enjoyed this.
If you go to Ted Yoders facebook you can hear him play the same song a week ago with just himself playing song on his hammered dulcimer and 77 Million views which caused this impromto visit, very cool.

http://www.wthr.com/article/hoosier...ars-cover-gets-visit-from-members-of-the-band

I had fun watching a few videos of Ted Yoders, him playing Eagles Hotel California was good as well.

Anyways Happy Friday :)

My friends, here is what you've been eagerly waiting for. After Dread Zeppelin, here's:

Mac Sabbath - Tasty Black Sabbath/McDonalds hybrid (antacid tablets not included)

Bon appétit! :D

[video=youtube;L-_xfAAtZHA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-_xfAAtZHA[/video]

Oh, you want more do you? :D

[video=youtube;gDYTgQymbgw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDYTgQymbgw[/video]

I am tuning my ears with this weeks new music, RBCD's, ripped to FLAC and then optical out to the external DAC.
Absolutely great music, Bob Weir Blue Mountain , Eric Clapton Live In San Diego, then a little Faces, SHM CD from the 2016 box set, 4 Free discs, all SHM SACD. This evening three new Hybrid SACD from MOFI, Miles Davis, Miles In The Sky, Sketches In Spain, In ASilent Way, and AF's Yes, Going For The One. Will do critical surround listen with Temple.
Really digging Clapton's new CD.

I am tuning my ears with this weeks new music, RBCD's, ripped to FLAC and then optical out to the external DAC.
Absolutely great music, Bob Weir Blue Mountain , Eric Clapton Live In San Diego, then a little Faces, SHM CD from the 2016 box set, 4 Free discs, all SHM SACD. This evening three new Hybrid SACD from MOFI, Miles Davis, Miles In The Sky, Sketches In Spain, In ASilent Way, and AF's Yes, Going For The One. Will do critical surround listen with Temple.
Really digging Clapton's new CD.

One caveat, Mark. Can you run your digital source COAXIAL cable out to your external DAC? You will certainly get better sound, IMO, than using the inferior optical cable.

An example: https://www.musicdirect.com/cables/Shunyata-Cobra-Zitron-SPDIF-Digital-Cable-(RCA--10m)-DEMO

One caveat, Mark. Can you run your digital source COAXIAL cable out to your external DAC? You will certainly get better sound, IMO, than using the inferior optical cable.

An example: https://www.musicdirect.com/cables/Shunyata-Cobra-Zitron-SPDIF-Digital-Cable-(RCA--10m)-DEMO
You are a 100 % correct Ralph, but my regular CD's that I rip goes into the machine call Bluesound Vault and that is optical out only. My discs played via my disc player, now they all go coaxial out to the DAC, unless they are HDMI out like Blu Rays etc, SOMEDAY, I'm going to have a separate machine to play every format, now wouldn't that be awesome.

You are a 100 % correct Ralph, but my regular CD's that I rip goes into the machine call Bluesound Vault and that is optical out only. My discs played via my disc player, now they all go coaxial out to the DAC, unless they are HDMI out like Blu Rays etc, SOMEDAY, I'm going to have a separate machine to play every format, now wouldn't that be awesome.

Cool, Mark. So my next question...when are you going to build a separate MANCAVE for yourself to house the thousands of new acquisitions you've acquired over the last year. Maybe I'm just projecting my own needs because I've run out of space eons ago. I had ALL these custom bookshelves constructed and they're already overflowing their banks. Just when you thought you've solved the storage problem.......more and MORE 'can't resist' goodies are released from the 'floodgates' of the recording industry.

Read your GREAT review of Coldplay and finally got my copy today. Can't wait to [treat] and HEAR IT! REALLY hope they remix their back catalogue into 5.1 [like PARACHUTES].

Regards to Valentine Girl!

Back