Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Archie Smith Big news. The Meddle 5.1 mix is on the 1971 Bluray. It can't be accessed via the normal Bluray menu unless it's an easter egg but the files can be ripped. This 'mistake' certainly makes up for the faulty bonus book Bluray. It's not on the DVD, just the Bluray.

Uh-oh...what's the "faulty bonus book Bluray"?

Sincerely, I'm ecstatic for the folks who bought this set and got the great surprise but posting about people regretting not buying this set is insipid.
I could order it right now but I'm not paying $400 or whatever the price is for ANY recording in hi-res 5.1 or otherwise.

I'll sleep just fine whether or not any of the individuals are released in the future.

No way to fight the petty egos or anything else no matter how much money is lying on the table for a hi-res Pink Floyd set.
They are fools.

Personally, I'm most jacked for One-Eyed-Jacks being released on Blu-ray.
Sorry. :couch

Any chance The Early Years set will be pulled due to the hidden Meddle 5.1?

They could do a secret remaster, pull Meddle 5.1 out of existing stock from retail after the first ones sell. But it would be expensive, I think too expensive.

But then again they have that other BluRay issue to fix as well. So a recall and re-fix could fix two issues at once.

What they really need to do is get the Meddle deluxe edition going soon, and ready before the 5.1 market has been saturated by Chinese 5.1 discs that will appear soon.

Sincerely, I'm ecstatic for the folks who bought this set and got the great surprise but posting about people regretting not buying this set is insipid.
I could order it right now but I'm not paying $400 or whatever the price is for ANY recording in hi-res 5.1 or otherwise.

I'll sleep just fine whether or not any of the individuals are released in the future.

No way to fight the petty egos or anything else no matter how much money is lying on the table for a hi-res Pink Floyd set.
They are fools.

You sound a little envious? Are you broke and bitter about not having the set? I don't have the set yet either, but I have no problem with others jumping up and down about to wet their paints over this. I didn't see any problems. Perhaps you want that 5.1 mix, you really do!!!

They are fools.

Let them all have their 15 minutes of fame because for that same $400 I just bought a shitload of hi res multichannel SACDs, Criterion blu ray restorations with money left over for a gourmet meal at a local restaurant and if I want to wallow in 'the early years' I'll just revisit my wad of baby pictures and assorted memorabilia and revel in that old adage: You've Come a LONG way, Baby!

Jesting, of course but I really do want those stand alone QUAD/5.1 PF restorations if they become available*....and never say never! I'm just not that radid a PF fan. Thou shalt have NO false gods before thee!:yikes

*Push your peddle to the 'meddle' and wish upon a star!:banana:

... but I really do want those stand alone QUAD/5.1 PF restorations if they become available....and never say never! I'm just not that radid a PF fan..

As much as I'd love to have these new surround mixes in this set, after doing the numbers based on Amazon UK, I can't justify the $500 after currency conversion (I'd only listen to the surround).

I'll have to wait with hope of standalone releases.

I know this is a tall order to ask, but can those of you who have the box set confirm that "Meddle" is the only additional surround content? (besides the Quad mixes of "Atom Heart Mother", "Echoes", and the new 5.1 mix of Pompeii)

Thanks! :)

I know this is a tall order to ask, but can those of you who have the box set confirm that "Meddle" is the only additional surround content? (besides the Quad mixes of "Atom Heart Mother", "Echoes", and the new 5.1 mix of Pompeii)

Thanks! :)

Additionally - I don't think I've heard 1 person comment on what Atom Heart Mother Quad sounds like....I'd sure like to know. :)

Additionally - I don't think I've heard 1 person comment on what Atom Heart Mother Quad sounds like....I'd sure like to know. :)

I've only played it once so far, sounded superb to me....Now I need to do a compare with the Grey Area SQ and Q8 DVD-A conversions..

Just listened to it last night. It's the same mix as the Q8 we are all familiar with sans 8-track tape hiss and generation loss. It sounds clean and crisp just like the bluray DSOTM & WYWH masters. Same standards. No noise reduction party or other atrocities as has happened with some of the other material.

Really nice to finally hear free of additional hiss and with the full fidelity of the MFSL vinyl stereo mix. :)

I spent more than a few hours cleaning up that Q8 a few years ago. I'm just going to say it was a worthy price of admission to finally get this copy. Retiring that now.

Another striking fidelity improvement was the imaging on the wild quad panning in AHM Suite.

For nitpicks, I heard a tape dropout in the very opening of AHM. If there are others, I missed them on first listen. (Was a bit tired at the end of the night too.) Nothing that even approaches the crudeness of that 8-track production copy though.

Summer '68 is still louder than the rest of the album. I said "woah" and turned the volume down. That one really cut through the generation loss well before. Can't exactly complain though and this is a pretty old critique of the album that's always been there.

Upon further review, maybe there's a hint of exaggerated brightness here?
It's not not bright...
There's no question that this is a big improvement over the 8-track tape though.

Last edited:
They could do a secret remaster, pull Meddle 5.1 out of existing stock from retail after the first ones sell. But it would be expensive, I think too expensive.

But then again they have that other BluRay issue to fix as well. So a recall and re-fix could fix two issues at once.

What they really need to do is get the Meddle deluxe edition going soon, and ready before the 5.1 market has been saturated by Chinese 5.1 discs that will appear soon.

Personally, I think it's too late for a recall.

What's done is done. It's an "Easter Egg", intentional or not.......and it's now OUT THERE .

And for us FLOYDIAN/Quad/5.1 fans, Worldwide, that's a wonderful surprise . Not to forget sales will now improve substantially for all involved in the Floyd Corp.:sun

No noise reduction party or other atrocities as has happened with some of the other material.

Yeah, I'm hearing that "rotating knives" effect on the BBC "Interstellar Overdrive" right now. To be fair, it's pretty subtle and I probably only notice because I'm using headphones at the moment.

Does anyone get a gap and a repeat at the beginning of "Pow R. Toc H." on the Stockholm show? For me the track starts, goes silent and re-starts. I thought it might be a bad rip (which would be unusual) but I've just verified it's really that way on my CD.

One thing people have got to remember about using noise reduction. When you go too far and get the wind chime artifacts, you've just ADDED noise to the recording that wasn't there before. Further, said noise has tones to it. That means you've made the recording noisier while also removing fidelity which is referred to as failing completely.

Personally, I think it's too late for a recall.

What's done is done. It's an "Easter Egg", intentional or not.......and it's now OUT THERE .

Too late for a recall, but not too late to correct future pressings (including the stand alone issues) and thereby make the original run more valuable for resale.

Of course there will be nothing they can do to recall or remove the mix from circulation, as that genie is now out of the bottle. In that regard it would actually be a little stupid to remove it from future versions. Then the extra money would go only to re-sellers. The intelligent approach would be to include it outright on the stand alone issue and realize the profit for the material as a legitimate release. Because you can be sure that one way or another those who want it will now get it.

I just hope OBC is obscured in there somewhere.

Folks - it's one thing to openly discuss extraction in this thread, (bad idea IMHO) there should not be any requests for sharing. I will remove any that I see. Thanks for your cooperation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to add a retraction and apologize at this point in time. As much as my sources for the information were extremely credible it appears that Guthrie never even heard the 5.1 mixes of Meddle and OBC so there is no way he could have been involved with pulling such things. Seems it was all Roger's doing and it appears that it was due more to a lack of communication than disapproval. Once again I'm sorry for posting and perpetuating the false information I was given. This is a forum where information is shared and what I posted I had every reason to believe to be true. This is the last I'll be writing about this matter.

Back