Steven Wilson: "To The Bone" (new album)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I've only just listened to this one, after seeing a ridiculous amount of bitching on some SW groups throughout the day, which is most amusing, but even SW I think is allowed to have one throwaway pop song in his repertoire. I've only listened to these new songs once or twice, I'd rather wait and listen to the album as a whole and in 5.1 of course! As per usual I bought the box-set without hearing a single note, but with this more commercial direction and a new major label are we witnessing SW maybe selling out a little? I hope I'm wrong because that would mean stadium gigs, which I hate and SW said he'd never do... ;)

I hear you. I personally can't imagine him selling out. Look how damn long he's been doing this. Since early PT days and now solo stuff, etc. He himself says he loves pop music. I'm sure all is cool.

It's all too common for rock, metal and prog artists/bands to head in a pop direction, eventually. Some don't, but many do. Rush, Yes, Megadeth, Metallica and many, many others.
Some of these adventures produce interesting material (completely subjective), but in the end I think most fans consider the pop years of their favorite bands to be a diminishing from the golden years.
Bands get their break for a reason. I'd like to think it's their unique qualities. When those bands begin to sound more and more like everything else on the radio, it's just less interesting to me.
Red Hot Chili Peppers are a good example of this, IMO. They are super-interesting up to Blood Sugar Sex Magic and are steadily less interesting after that, as they become more commercial.

I hear you. I personally can't imagine him selling out. Look how damn long he's been doing this. Since early PT days and now solo stuff, etc. He himself says he loves pop music. I'm sure all is cool.

I'm sure it is, I've been listening to SW since around 92/93 when I picked up Voyage 34 at my local independent record store (when we had them!) and saw him with about 5 other people and a dog at the local dive/venue. I have heard most of SW's output since, big fan of PT, No-Man and the solo stuff, Blackfield I prefer I & II (Remix them in 5.1 SW!) and I quite like some of the Bass Communion stuff, but each project has tracks I don't get on with. For what it's worth I quite like it, I look forward to it 5.1!

It's all too common for rock, metal and prog artists/bands to head in a pop direction, eventually. Some don't, but many do. Rush, Yes, Megadeth, Metallica and many, many others.
Some of these adventures produce interesting material (completely subjective), but in the end I think most fans consider the pop years of their favorite bands to be a diminishing from the golden years.
Bands get their break for a reason. I'd like to think it's their unique qualities. When those bands begin to sound more and more like everything else on the radio, it's just less interesting to me.
Red Hot Chili Peppers are a good example of this, IMO. They are super-interesting up to Blood Sugar Sex Magic and are steadily less interesting after that, as they become more commercial.

Yep, I agree with your Chili Peppers example, I think Mother Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magic are certainly their peak for me too, I did get a few albums after BSSM but they get little play. I love the sound of Blood Sugar Sex Magic and would love to hear it in 5.1, has that ever been mentioned anywhere at all?

I agree. I'd far rather musicians try out different ideas, musical directions, styles etc. than just churning out basically the same album over and over again, think David Bowie, I don't like all his albums, I don't even like all the tracks he's done on the albums I love, but Bowie has produced some amazing stuff, constantly changing, and I'm thinking particularly of Black Star which is incredible.

The following notice appears on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca:
"Playback Region B/2 :This will not play on most Blu-ray players sold in North America, Central America, South America, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia."

So according to that the blu-ray will not play on my Oppo 105 which is Region A (I checked with Oppo support).

Yeah... I can honestly say that, outside of some of SW's ambient projects, this is probably the first SW track that does absolutely nothing for me. I'm not even feeling the optimistic "maybe it's a grower!" vibe. Kind of how I'm feeling for most of what's been released (I did like Pariah). It's cool though. After SOOOO many years, and SOOOOO much amazing music, there's gotta be something that doesn't jive with me at some point.

I will say, the amount of butthurt indignation in the comments section on his facebook is absolutely pathetic. The internet... :rolleyes:

I didn't like the other few tracks he posted, won't be getting this on BluRay.

The following notice appears on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca:
"Playback Region B/2 :This will not play on most Blu-ray players sold in North America, Central America, South America, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia."

So according to that the blu-ray will not play on my Oppo 105 which is Region A (I checked with Oppo support).

That's pretty standard for amazon to put that on their Blu-Ray pages if the Blu-Ray is being manufactured and distributed from Europe, but I would be very surprised if this Blu-Ray is not NTSC; Region 0 like every other Blu-Ray Audio disc out there today.

It's a great song! Most eclectic and eclectic is good. :banana:

It could be my new favorite of his out of the songs that have been released from the new record thus far!
Once that first chorus hit, there was a huge smile on my face cause I could definitely hear the influence of ABBA and ELO on the track, and let's face it, they were two of the best groups of the 70s, so I'm glad that Steven channeled his love for groups like them into this song.
There's nothing cheesy about this track.
It's incredibly well-written and arranged, like almost all of his work over the last 15+ years.

Out of all of the tracks that have been released so far, I think I like this one and "The Same Asylum As Before" the most.
I'm also really glad that Steven is moving further away from traditional prog, cause I think he was running out of fresh ideas in those areas.
There's still areas on some of his records where I cringe at listening to some of those flute solos.
(Not that Theo Travis is a bad player but because at times some of those moments feel forced.)

Nothing feels forced about most of these new tracks, and "Permanating" is certainly a great, joyous track he has conjured up for us!

:)

It could be my new favorite of his out of the songs that have been released from the new record thus far!
Once that first chorus hit, there was a huge smile on my face cause I could definitely hear the influence of ABBA and ELO on the track, and let's face it, they were two of the best groups of the 70s, so I'm glad that Steven channeled his love for groups like them into this song.
It's incredibly well-written and arranged, like almost all of his work over the last 15+ years.

Out of all of the tracks that have been released so far, I think I like this one and "The Same Asylum As Before" the most.
I'm also really glad that Steven is moving further away from traditional prog, cause I think he was running out of fresh ideas in those areas.
There's still areas on some of his records where I cringe at listening to some of those flute solos.
(Not that Theo Travis is a bad player but because at times some of those moments feel forced.)

Nothing feels forced about most of these new tracks, and "Permanating" is certainly a great, joyous track he has conjured up for us!

Yeah, after 3 or 4 plays I'm really getting the infectious vibe of the song. It really is quite well constructed and executed, and I am guessing it'll be even better in 5.1. As one the openly criticized the overt prog stuff of Grace and Raven, I like that he's giving us a record that shows a broad variety of his writing styes. Again, this one may put some off, but I think in the flow of an album it'll make some people appreciate it for what it is. He can smile and have a lighter side with his music sometimes.

I really, really, really like Permanating. Not sure if anyone remembers the New Radicals (Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too), but this song sounds like it could have been co-written with Gregg Alexander. I've only heard the brief song samples but I feel this is going to be his best solo record yet because it's geared closer to some infectious pop, which I just eat up for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Okay! In between snacks too. ?

I don't miss Porcupine Tree, at all. Alright! Just a little. ?

Last edited:

You know how much of a Steven Wilson fan I am, but I did find this track a slight bit "cheesy" on first listen. I don't know, the chorus, the repetition, the drum sound... He sometimes has these kind of cringy moments for me (The Incident...). Well, these things are highly subjective.
What I'm sure of is that the track makes much more sense in the context of the album. All his work is thoughtfully structured and well-sequenced so i'm sure it is a nice breather and a good counterpart from the darker and proggier tracks.

No missed grace for drowning the only deluxe version I've missed so far, but sprung for this day one.

They grow in value not that it's about that I don't have any thing left sealed for long.

No missed grace for drowning the only deluxe version I've missed so far, but sprung for this day one.
I missed Insurgentes, which bugs me, but at least he released WAVs of the extra tracks on his SoundCloud. I ended up preordering the CD/DVD-A mediabook thinking it was the most deluxe version available. Given that Wilson described The Incident's deluxe package as Insurgentes "on steroids," imagine my surprise when the huge box set arrived. It was only after this that I found out about the previous deluxe package, and I've been wondering how I missed out on that preorder ever since...

Wasn't about to make the same mistake twice. As soon as the U.S. fulfillment came online, I ordered To The Bone. Can't wait to get my stinkin' paws all over it.

I missed Insurgentes, which bugs me, but at least he released WAVs of the extra tracks on his SoundCloud. I ended up preordering the CD/DVD-A mediabook thinking it was the most deluxe version available. Given that Wilson described The Incident's deluxe package as Insurgentes "on steroids," imagine my surprise when the huge box set arrived. It was only after this that I found out about the previous deluxe package, and I've been wondering how I missed out on that preorder ever since...

Wasn't about to make the same mistake twice. As soon as the U.S. fulfillment came online, I ordered To The Bone. Can't wait to get my stinkin' paws all over it.

I also do not have the big deluxe edition of "Insurgentes", but I do have the CD/DVDA-V mediabook and the bonus CD in hard copy form.
Don't quote me on this, but I have a good feeling that Steven Wilson might reissue "Insurgentes" at some point in the future with more bonus tracks and with the 5.1 mix and visual material on Blu-Ray.
After all, there's certainly a LOT more material that could fit into a bigger deluxe edition than the one released in 2008.

I also do not have the big deluxe edition of "Insurgentes", but I do have the CD/DVDA-V mediabook and the bonus CD in hard copy form.
Don't quote me on this, but I have a good feeling that Steven Wilson might reissue "Insurgentes" at some point in the future with more bonus tracks and with the 5.1 mix and visual material on Blu-Ray.
After all, there's certainly a LOT more material that could fit into a bigger deluxe edition than the one released in 2008.

It is a possibility, with Insurgentes hitting its 10th Anniversary next year. The remastered CD from last year was very good too, I must add so if there's a Deluxe Book option, I'll definitely be picking it up as I too, missed the original Deluxe Set. Heck, he may as well include the movie as well, seeing as it's currently available only on DVD so why not have that on Bluray too?!

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

It is a possibility, with Insurgentes hitting its 10th Anniversary next year. The remastered CD from last year was very good too, I must add so if there's a Deluxe Book option, I'll definitely be picking it up as I too, missed the original Deluxe Set. Heck, he may as well include the movie as well, seeing as it's currently available only on DVD so why not have that on Bluray too?!

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

The movie is part of what I meant when I said visual material, so yes, that would definitely make the set more complete.

Back