Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now for the pièce de résistance:

Larks_tongues_in_aspic_album_cover.jpg

Santana/Coltrane's ILLUMINATIONS is very much a product of its time: the spiritual side of Santana. IMO, very reminiscent of Santana's wonderful collaboration with John McLaughlin [Love, Devotion and Surrender: available as a Stereo SACD from MoFi]. http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=7592

Give it a chance. It may grow on you. Must sound spectacular in surround!

The quadraphonic mix makes full use of everything. I think you will be really pleased with it.

I agree, if ever there was an album suited to surround it's Illuminations, especially in some of the busier and more frenetic sections. People often accuse Santana of repeating himself (see Frank Zappa's 'Variations on The Carlos Santana Secret Chord Progression') but on this album he definitely wasn't.

For me, the first track (not including Sri Chimnoy's thought of the day) 'Angel of Air / Angel of Water' is worth the price of admission alone. It sounds to me a lot like a more developed version of 'The Eternal Caravan of Reincarnation', the first track from the Caravanserai album. The two tracks kind of act like bookends on Santana's foray in to fusion - the Caravanserai track announcing the beginning and the track on Illuminations signalling the end. When Santana returned in early 1976 with Amgios most of the fusion trappings were gone and he was headed in a much more R&B direction.

Of the four D-V discs that make up the current release this is actually the one I'm looking forward to hearing most - I know with Mike Dutton's extensive background remastering classical music, Alice Coltrane's string arrangements are really going to shine on this one!

Just a thought, but I wonder why they couldn't "twofer" the Santana ?? There sure are plenty of 'em .:rolleyes:

lmao - there were about 40 guests until I went on about The Doors....then it went into a tailspin. haha - I love The Doors....even if no one else does. :banana:

Did you manage to get ahold of Doors Perspectives yet ? The Box DVDA set, that is. Its a must for any Doors fan. (y)

Been digging this best of Soul quads/5.1 from a fine fellow QQ'R

Love that Bill Withers tune btw. "Aint No Sunshine.......anymore" Great voice Blues/Soul tune.:smokin

Wasn't aware he had any quad let alone 5.1 ??

20170807_103845.jpg

Hawkwind-Warrior On The Edge Of Time[this would've been a great album to have been mixed quadraphonically........to bad it wasn't]

Latest posts

Back