Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Santana/Coltrane's ILLUMINATIONS is very much a product of its time: the spiritual side of Santana. IMO, very reminiscent of Santana's wonderful collaboration with John McLaughlin [Love, Devotion and Surrender: available as a Stereo SACD from MoFi]. http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=7592

Give it a chance. It may grow on you. Must sound spectacular in surround!

I agree, if ever there was an album suited to surround it's Illuminations, especially in some of the busier and more frenetic sections. People often accuse Santana of repeating himself (see Frank Zappa's 'Variations on The Carlos Santana Secret Chord Progression') but on this album he definitely wasn't.

For me, the first track (not including Sri Chimnoy's thought of the day) 'Angel of Air / Angel of Water' is worth the price of admission alone. It sounds to me a lot like a more developed version of 'The Eternal Caravan of Reincarnation', the first track from the Caravanserai album. The two tracks kind of act like bookends on Santana's foray in to fusion - the Caravanserai track announcing the beginning and the track on Illuminations signalling the end. When Santana returned in early 1976 with Amgios most of the fusion trappings were gone and he was headed in a much more R&B direction.

Of the four D-V discs that make up the current release this is actually the one I'm looking forward to hearing most - I know with Mike Dutton's extensive background remastering classical music, Alice Coltrane's string arrangements are really going to shine on this one!

THRAK_-_Original_Album_Cover.jpeg

Quick decision...

King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black

Very first song "The Great Deceiver" starts off with a freaking BANG! Whoa, what a song....if that doesn't get your blood pumping, nothing will.

This will make you all laugh. When I was much younger, I thought King Crimson was a brit pop band. I had never heard their music - but for some reason, their name alone made me make assumptions that turned out to be SO WRONG!!! When I first purchased my first KC multi-channel disc, I was absolutely stunned. How wrong could I have been?? Wow!

This will make you all laugh. When I was much younger, I thought King Crimson was a brit pop band. I had never heard their music - but for some reason, their name alone made me make assumptions that turned out to be SO WRONG!!! When I first purchased my first KC multi-channel disc, I was absolutely stunned. How wrong could I have been?? Wow!

I remember seeing some Grateful Dead posters at K-Mart about 40 years ago when I was about 7 and thought they were a heavy metal band, what with all of the skeletons and such. :confused:

By the way, just noticed we're at the bottom of page 420! :smokin

I remember seeing some Grateful Dead posters at K-Mart about 40 years ago when I was about 7 and thought they were a heavy metal band, what with all of the skeletons and such. :confused:

By the way, just noticed we're at the bottom of page 420! :smokin

There, you just gave it away....so you are 47 huh? I'm 54! You would have thought, being the music fanatic I have always been that I would have known more about King Crimson. But, locally, in my group of friends...they were non-existent. Oddly, we all loved Yes. :) Go figure...

There, you just gave it away....so you are 47 huh? I'm 54! You would have thought, being the music fanatic I have always been that I would have known more about King Crimson. But, locally, in my group of friends...they were non-existent. Oddly, we all loved Yes. :) Go figure...

Will be in about a week.
fred.gif

When I was in my mid/late teens, all my friends and I were into Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Yes, and Rush. Took me a few years to discover great stuff like Crimson, Zappa, ELP, and Jeff Beck. :worthy

Will be in about a week.
fred.gif

When I was in my mid/late teens, all my friends and I were into Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Yes, and Rush. Took me a few years to discover great stuff like Crimson, Zappa, ELP, and Jeff Beck. :worthy

Actually, I was exactly the same. But, I always loved Sabbath and The Doors...all my friends hated them both. Funny, now they both are considered monumental bands. Hee!

lmao - there were about 40 guests until I went on about The Doors....then it went into a tailspin. haha - I love The Doors....even if no one else does. :banana:

lmao - there were about 40 guests until I went on about The Doors....then it went into a tailspin. haha - I love The Doors....even if no one else does. :banana:
Love The Doors! :banana: Listening to KC - S&BB Great choice! :upthumb I love pretty much all Crimson, but have a great fondness for the Wetton era.

Back