"Fleetwood Mac" (1975 S/T Album) Deluxe Edition with 5.1 surround DVD!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh nooo. A big discussion about the topic
that had been discussed a 1000 times.

Yes, DD isn‘t the best solution, but this mix
is good for a Dolby mix and this box set
isn‘t a rip off.

Don‘t think that they only produce box sets for
people who want surround mixes.
They also do them for the vinyl lovers.

Yes, and the big companies try to get the maximum
cash they can get.

I‘m in the glad situation, that I don‘t need hi-rez
generally. I need good music in 5.1.

DTS is enough for me and DD isn‘t a show stopper in my flat.

The first box release I will not buy is the Roxy set.
I don‘t get it, why it is so expensive. :)

The reality is that some just won't accept the fact that the surround community is a tiny segment of potential customers...that's why stereo hi rez editions dwarf the sales of surround titles....it's always been that way...and if you look at the box set objectively(which seems impossible with some on here)...they included every facet of the music...an LP for those that have a turntable...and for the biggest segment of buyers they include 24/96 stereo versions...and for us...they gave us a surround version...and for the price of 5 discs at $55 delivered....certainly a reasonable price....and when compared to the Roxy set...a STEAL...I mean trying to take the position that DTS on a DVD somehow elevates this Roxy set to acceptable standards is a monumental stretch..and when it comes to content...that Roxy set is a hard sell...and when you compare it to the Fleetwood Mac content...which was a #1 album..no comparison in the popularity sense..and that translates to sales....so you have a massive selling album in box set form that offers more actual discs selling for $55 and a debut album that didn't sell very well selling for twice or 3 times that price(depending on where you purchase it)...if this was a boxing match they would stop the fight...it's a total mismatch...if you like the Roxy album...that's fine...but it's not in the same league as the FM album...it just isn't....and for those that complain about the LP and not having a turntable...that's what the cable and satellite companies call "bundles"...I don't need 60% of the channels I presently have on Directv..but they aren't offered as "stand alone" channels...that's just the way things are...and all the fist pounding and complaining isn't going to change things..

I like Ralphie...but he's the "entitlement" king...if he doesn't get what he wants...then the record company is greedy...and yes those companies did make a lot of money "back in the day"....and to be candid I'm OK with companies making lots of money...my only problem with the "old days" is that many artists were taken advantage of....locked into horrible contracts...that part was unfair and "greedy"...but that's not the case today...these companies aren't making huge profits in the music industry..and to some degree the pendulum has shifted...the artists can now make a lot of money by touring...packing big venues and commanding top dollar for their music...so everytime someone says they "deserve" this or that for their money for these releases...I just laugh...because that view is so far from reality...how are you going to leverage the record companies when you represent such a TINY segment of their business....that's just false bravado....the harsher reality is this...record companies did offer these MONDO box sets with everything you want on your wish list..all the hi rez items that some of you "demand" these days...so why aren't they doing it anymore...because they weren't making money...because not enough people purchased them....that is reality...don't be fooled by the handful of people on forums that say they are going to buy these sets...because they didn't buy them...for whatever reason...that is a fact...

I hope after the majority of crying and moaning on this thread stops...those of us that appreciate this release for what it is(another chance to hear this music once again in an improved fashion over previous editions)and not what it isn't....can discuss this "time capsule" of the 70's with fond memories and personal accounts...I'll return to this thread when it's safe...I'm just too tired of hearing this negative crap..I just don't have the strength anymore for this type of activity...it's supposed to be a hobby that we all enjoy..

Personal thanks to IMachine for adding some reason to the mix:)

Last edited:
There WILL be a poll for “Fleetwood Mac” in the DTS/Dolby section, hopefully later tonight.
This way, people who have the DVD can vote and share their opinions on it without all this other clutter.
Once that thread is open, only post in that thread if you actually have the disc!

Also, any off-topic posts in this thread that does not pertain to the general subject matter of this forum (like football posts, etc.) will be removed in due course.

As long as we all remain civil, let the discussion (and debate) continue!

:)

Thanks Ryan. :upthumb. :D

Hopefully a poll thread will be posted soon for the Fleetwood Mac S/T 5.1 mix. I'd really like to see poll numbers and discussion about the quality of the 5.1 mix good or bad. Trying to weed through the BS bickering back and forth in this thread to find actual reviews of the 5.1 mix is really annoying :rolleyes:!

Bill

Will there be a poll thread posted for the Fleetwood Mac S/T 5.1 mix? I'd really like to see discussion about the quality of the 5.1 mix good or bad. Trying to weed through the BS bickering back and forth in this thread to find actual reviews of the 5.1 mix is really annoying :rolleyes:!

Bill

Yes, look in the DTS/Dolby DVD poll section. You’ll find it already there.

I was too tired when I got home at 2:30am-ish from my business trip to listen to it then! So after reading all the posts I have given it a first of listen. Firstly content is king, its a fantastic album. I think it is a really good surround mix, its a musical mix i.e. it suits the content. (It is great it has been allowed to escape the confines of a tape box/HDD, its not fair to keep such things caged up!) Ken Caillat did a great job IMHO. It shows the multi-layering of the original album really well, instruments are placed all around, immersive and discrete. There are lots of guitar parts spread around. Some tracks drums are more to the front, lead guitar position depends on the track. You can hear the production/musical arrangements much better than the stereo. There a couple of things which have been added, liked Stevie Nick's speaking at the beginning of Rhiannon. It is a 1975 recording so it has its limitations, one or two of the drums give it away. Does the fact it is 5.1 Dolby ruin it, actually no, yes you can hear some 'issues', but I listened to the stereo LPCM for comparison and surprisingly I think the 5.1 DD doesn't sound as 'harsh' as the stereo. I'm glad I bought it, and compared to say the Roxy Music it is a lot cheaper.

Folks, it is what it is. I suspect sales for this box it will be sufficient for the label. It would make sense to me to market this version now and come back in 2019 with high-resolution versions. My thought is that this box it would not sell as well after a standalone high-resolution release. And if they don’t? The world keeps spinning.

Music is personal and I am much more emotionally involved with the Roxy music release then this one. I’ve never owned FM 1975 because everybody around me played it all the time. Have a great Saturday whatever the hell you doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a look at "Monday Morning". The top wav is from the Acura DVD-A, the lower is from the new release DVD-V.

It might be hard to tell as the forum software squishes the image a bit, but the DD version is a tad louder. Not brickwalled, but louder.

MOnday Morning.jpg

For the record, I do not like DD and would prefer DTS or HiRez, of course, but I am THANKFUL to get this album in surround. I wouldn't care if it was Q8, I would still buy it. I have spend over $400 on eBay for a Q4 in the past, so $55 is not going to stop me, even though I will never touch the LP. Ever.

I mean I appreciate the passion of this group and value everyone's opinions, it's just that I wish we would all state that opinion, no matter what it is, then continue on with other things. Dragging shit out is what I dislike as all it does is fester bad feelings.

Well, I hate to say it, but it appears that whoever mastered this thing jacked up the fronts and they are clipping all over the place on Rhiannon here. Playing a direct DVD Audio Extracted rip in SF and my clipping red LED is pegging all through the song.

The mix is nice, although the background voices are in the fronts, not the backs, but there are discrete guitars and stuff all around. This to me is worse than the DD, having the fronts cranked to the max - WTF and What's the Point? :mad:

Give me a Q8! :)

Rhiannan.jpg

What a shame. Here's "Landslide". A really pretty surround mix, but here, the rears are maxed out and clip at these high levels. Why do they do this? It's so disappointing, really. For the very few people who will actually listen to the 5.1, why hit it with loudness and tweaking? Just leave it alone for crying out loud. (n):mad:(n):mad:(n)

Landslide.jpg

Well, I hate to say it, but it appears that whoever mastered this thing jacked up the fronts and they are clipping all over the place on Rhiannon here. Playing a direct DVD Audio Extracted rip in SF and my clipping red LED is pegging all through the song.

I guess it was mastered by the same people who did Tusk :(

Wonder why they smashed those two and left Rumours and Mirage alone.

Does it sound really out of balance? On "Landslide" it looks like the rears will way overpower the fronts and vice versa on "Rhiannon". Can any user-end tweaking fix it?

I really want to enjoy this release when it arrives, but this thread just keeps bringing the bad news...

When I get a chance I will futz around with my out-of-date iZotope stuff and see if I can unclip a track of two but anytime you do stuff like that to an audio file you generally lose something.

I have to honestly say that I am totally bummed about this. Mind you, this is all based on PC playback, so your results will vary. I am looking forward to what others say, don't go by me alone. Get past the DD and listen to the playback. Does it sound loud and compressed to you? Let us know.

I expect to hear a lot more listener opinions from you by next "Monday Morning"! ;)

When I get a chance I will futz around with my out-of-date iZotope stuff and see if I can unclip a track of two but anytime you do stuff like that to an audio file you generally lose something.

I have to honestly say that I am totally bummed about this. Mind you, this is all based on PC playback, so your results will vary. I am looking forward to what others say, don't go by me alone. Get past the DD and listen to the playback. Does it sound loud and compressed to you? Let us know.

I expect to hear a lot more listener opinions from you by next "Monday Morning"! ;)

Hey Jon what does I'm So Afraid look like? If ya get the chance :mad:@:

I have seen much worse looking graphs. Hopefully it sounds good, even in dulby.

Back