Jethro Tull - "Heavy Horses" (New Shoes Edition) to be released in February 2018!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses album review
by Sid Smith

http://teamrock.com/review/2018-02-26/jethro-tull-heavy-horses-album-review

40 years of ploughing their own furrow

Like some lordly pied piper, Ian Anderson has led Jethro Tull’s legions of followers through many changes in style across 50 years. Having marched them from relatively simple rock songs through to extended suites and concept albums, the release of Heavy Horses followed Songs From The Wood, journeying into a folkloric landscape filled with bucolic tales and a hearty song. Appropriating the kinetic energy of jigs and reels and harnessing it into Tull’s music seems natural now, but it wasn’t to some folk’s tastes back in the day. 40 years on, as this five-disc demonstrates, Anderson was right to follow his own instincts.

“It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see,” wrote Henry David Thoreau in Walden, his 1854 treatise on living in harmony with the land. One of the few writers in progressive music tackling the complexities and contradictions of the British class system, Anderson’s vision of a field tilled through an honest day’s work might suggest a romanticised portrait of the dignity of labour, but he’s canny enough to avoid unwelcome lapses into forelock-tugging nostalgia in his appreciation of times gone by.

Martin Barre’s biting tone and his impressive versatility imbue the material with such presence and vitality. That he carries off this animating role with such authority, regardless of whichever direction Tull embarked upon, speaks to the guitarist’s quiet, unflashy brilliance. Annotating the songs in much the same way that Anderson’s flute inscribes each track, Barre’s work possesses a reassuring depth, providing in a way a continuity of sorts that lets you know whatever the mode or muse, this is unmistakably, and authentically, Tull.

Barre is just one of the beneficiaries of Steven Wilson’s attention. Like his previous Tull remixes, Wilson manages the delicate business of simultaneously respecting the original parameters while broadening the available aural space. Delivering an impressive clarity, the elegant gallop of Rover, …And The Mouse Police Never Sleeps, and No Lullaby’s simmering percussion is especially exciting in their new, expansive settings.

The live show from Berne included in this edition packs such a terrific punch that it’s easy to understand why Anderson has been so effusive in his praise of King Crimson’s Jakko Jakszyk’s remixing efforts. While parts of 1978’s Bursting Out hailed from this performance, as good as that double album is, if you want to experience the full force of Tull in concert in the comfort of your own home, either in stereo or surround, this newly expanded version is definitely the one you should be reaching for.

1bfbed67-a81a-4880-8b62-ec2d8928f8fb

It's getting close now...bullmoose has packaged my set...pending charges on my credit card:banana:

Same here Clint man.....I'm glad I went ahead and ordered this. I've enjoyed all the Tull sets....and they are such a bargain...and for the most part...the same size packaging. Which is nice....just ask my shelf.

I got a shipping notice from Deep Discount for the pre-order I did ages ago with one of their coupons - really looking forward to this set, almost as much as I was for SftW.

I ordered mine last night from importcds (US$32.71 + shipping), and I just received notice that it had shipped.
Amazon.ca is selling it for CDN$63.31 plus tax (with free shipping) = US$56 ... so I saved about US$16.

Well, the big river decided to flow a bit early today...WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!
Thoroughly enjoying this. Once again, this is the best deal going in surround to me. Wilson does such a great job. The Bursting Out is also very welcome. (I always liked that live album anyway).
IMG_0638.jpg:):):):):banana::banana::banana::smokin:smokin:smokin

Well, the big river decided to flow a bit early today...WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!
Thoroughly enjoying this. Once again, this is the best deal going in surround to me. Wilson does such a great job. The Bursting Out is also very welcome. (I always liked that live album anyway).
View attachment 32277:):):):):banana::banana::banana::smokin:smokin:smokin

I love the big river reference...reminds me of posting on AVS "back in the day"...you weren't allowed to talk about amazon...just forum sponsors...I think Gos and I were scarred for life:yikes..you must live close to an amazon warehouse

Although Bullmoose hasn't notified me yet that it has been shipped...it has...they have a computer issue that still says my item is packaged but not shipped...it happened once before...only now I have a post office account that can detect a package in the mailstream headed to me..

Back