New AVR ordered...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding sully's remark that amplifiers have NO TONE IS absurd. Ever have a tube amp? A much different tone than a solid state one....although problematic [and expensive] when it comes time to change the tubes.

Even different tubes have different tones.

But keeping in the solid state realm, it seems all but impossible to me that someone couldn't hear the difference between an Onkyo receiver and a Marantz (as just one example).

Another weak moment.....just now I placed an order for Klipsch Atmos speakers that will be placed on top of my Klipsch front towers. Woo Hoo! They will arrive Saturday...

View attachment 32278

I just can't stop - Got to live it up!

Well done GOS! I have Kick and Kraftwerk 3D in anticipation of an atmos set up, but not got round to it yet. Let us know how they sound!:music

Well done GOS! I have Kick and Kraftwerk 3D in anticipation of an atmos set up, but not got round to it yet. Let us know how they sound!:music

I sold my Kraftwerk earlier this year....cause I didn't like the genre...now I wish I still had it....

but the suggestion that GOS should invest in a beefier amp for the fronts [and even the rears] and use his receiver as a pre/pro ain't such a bad idea as receivers do have limitations as pertains to output wattage, especially when running running 7.1. THAT IS TRUE!

I've always been a firm believer in separate components and only use a receiver in my bedroom. Larger rooms require a much larger sound and when you start raising the volume on receivers, their limitations are quite obvious. Suggestion: I'd invest in a separate 5.1 AMP and use the Denon amps to drive the Atmos speakers....IF that's feasible.

For most of us I would tend to agree, but GOS listens to Kilpsch floor standers I think. They probably have sensitivity characteristics approaching, if not surpassing 100dB for a 1 watt input. Even the smaller Kilpsch speakers are pretty sensitive as well. Its a hallmark of the brand due to the ported design and the horn loaded drivers. Sealed loudspeakers typically provide something in the area of 87dB /w/m. As a rule of thumb it takes 2x the power to increase volume by 3dB. So that extra 13 dB of sensitivity means he can get away with about 4x less wattage than the rest of us might need. What many of us would require 200 wpc to do, he can do with a mere 50 wpc or so.

So rock on GOS... :banana::banana::banana:

For most of us I would tend to agree, but GOS listens to Kilpsch floor standers I think. They probably have sensitivity characteristics approaching, if not surpassing 100dB for a 1 watt input. Even the smaller Kilpsch speakers are pretty sensitive as well. Its a hallmark of the brand due to the ported design and the horn loaded drivers. Sealed loudspeakers typically provide something in the area of 87dB /w/m. As a rule of thumb it takes 2x the power to increase volume by 3dB. So that extra 13 dB of sensitivity means he can get away with about 4x less wattage than the rest of us might need. What many of us would require 200 wpc to do, he can do with a mere 50 wpc or so.

So rock on GOS... :banana::banana::banana:

Egg - zactly! Does't take much for them to blow the doors off.

Me too! plus Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - Prometheus: The Dolby Atmos Experience + Cinematic and Live

I attempted to drive to Cardiff this afternoon, a mere 50 miles, to go and purchase my new atmos kit, I nearly got there but the motorway was down to 1 lane with an inch or 2 of snow from last night, there where plows out but they didn't seem to be doing much and the nearer I got the worse it got, my car is useless in snow, I didn't want to get stuck, so only about 15 miles out I gave up and drove back home. I may try again tomorrow or maybe Monday.

Some more good Atmos:

Metallica - Through the Never (Get the German release)
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
Hans Zimmer - Live in Prague
Roger Waters - The Wall
Litchmond - The journey
RPWL - A New Dawn

The free Matt Darey download is nice too.

But I think the Kraftwerk release is the best of them - maybe the best surround mix/fidelty there is? :smokin

Me too! plus Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - Prometheus: The Dolby Atmos Experience + Cinematic and Live

I attempted to drive to Cardiff this afternoon, a mere 50 miles, to go and purchase my new atmos kit, I nearly got there but the motorway was down to 1 lane with an inch or 2 of snow from last night, there where plows out but they didn't seem to be doing much and the nearer I got the worse it got, my car is useless in snow, I didn't want to get stuck, so only about 15 miles out I gave up and drove back home. I may try again tomorrow or maybe Monday.

Snow in the UK? Ah yes, straight from the time of Charles Dickens. Wonder how he'd describe Dolby Atmos if he was still around. Bummer that you couldn't get your Atmos kit today.

Some more good Atmos:

Metallica - Through the Never (Get the German release)
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
Hans Zimmer - Live in Prague
Roger Waters - The Wall
Litchmond - The journey
RPWL - A New Dawn

The free Matt Darey download is nice too.

But I think the Kraftwerk release is the best of them - maybe the best surround mix/fidelty there is? :smokin

Funny thing is, I own The Wall...only never even opened it. And, I didn't know it was Atmos...so that will be one of the first things I try. lol

1b6272fda1299fb272ee38b3a219c657.jpg

Guess Lamar approves...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back