AVR Audio/EQ settings (Audyssey)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What good is a crossover frequency without a subwoofer?

For Audyssey using the App? If so, my setting is 500 Hz. I initially tried 300 Hz and changed it to 500 Hz. I didn't think that I heard much of a difference if at all between the two, so I just left it at the 500 Hz setting. I do not have a subwoofer.

I've seen some videos recommending no higher than 700 Hz.

What good is a crossover frequency without a subwoofer?
For Audyssey using the App? If so, my setting is 500 Hz. I initially tried 300 Hz and changed it to 500 Hz. I didn't think that I heard much of a difference if at all between the two, so I just left it at the 500 Hz setting. I do not have a subwoofer.

I think you are not referring to the same thing.

Crossover frequency (about 80Hz) is used to redirect low frequencies (from SMALL speakers) to the SUB channel. If there is no SUB, I assume they would be directed to some LARGE speakers defined in the AVR. Not having a SUB, and having several 'LARGE' speakers can make more even the whole low frequencies in the room, as if you had several SUBs. Of course to the limits of the full band that the 'LARGE' speakers are capable.

What @ar surround mentions is the "Frequency range" (maximum limit) to which the room correction EQ filters are applied. They use to mention about (500Hz to max 1000Hz) to correct low frequencies that are worse for the room modal zones. While modal correction of high frequencies is less important and can cause some audible type of distortion.

That seems to be outdated advice. Since Audyssey calibrate levels at 1KHz, it should be better to use corrections at least until 1KHz, if not more. Gene's from Audioholics is now using it until 4KHz.

oh yeah.. 🤦‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ i just remembered, last time i ran Audyssey it jacked up all the Treble on both my Surrounds and Rear Surrounds by +5dB apiece (!!) -- you can imagine with all 4 Surround speakers around me, already boosted overall by around +3dB by Dyn EQ, with movies it sounded like everything was going on in a cave and for Quad stuff the front of the Surround soundstage was totally obliterated.. just horrendous.. i don't know how anybody gets good results out of it but i know they do and trust their judgement. i still need to try the App, that seems to get good recommendations here and elsewhere. maybe i've been doing it wrong all these years 🤔

i still need to try the App, that seems to get good recommendations here and elsewhere. maybe i've been doing it wrong all these years 🤔

You are wasting your time if you don't use the App. Audyssey without using the app gave me horrendous results.

That seems to be outdated advice. Since Audyssey calibrate levels at 1KHz, it should be better to use corrections at least until 1KHz, if not more. Gene's from Audioholics is now using it until 4KHz.

Perhaps. There is certainly nothing stopping people from trying it at various top-out frequencies as long as they use the App. One can go nuts with this stuff.

Last edited:
You are wasting your time if you don't use the App. Audyssey without using the app gave me horrendous results.

Perhaps. There is certainly nothing stopping people from trying it a various top-out frequencies as long as they use the App. One can go nuts with this stuff.
thank you! 🙏💫🤩 i shall get a-downloadin' pronto 👌👏

i wonder what it is that the App does that the AVR's Vn. of Audyssey doesn't!? 🤔

thank you! 🙏💫🤩 i shall get a-downloadin' pronto 👌👏

i wonder what it is that the App does that the AVR's Vn. of Audyssey doesn't!? 🤔
While there is all sorts of stuff one can look at, the most important feature is the ability to select the cut off frequency. Other members probably have more to add i.e. target curve shaping.

"app-arently" 🤣 the Audyssey Editor app allows you to adjust for Audyssey's midrange compensation 🤩

does the App also allow you to keep Dynamic EQ going while stopping the Rear channel levels getting boosted relative to the Fronts? 👀

Perhaps. There is certainly nothing stopping people from trying it at various top-out frequencies as long as they use the App. One can go nuts with this stuff.
Of course, it’s important to experiment with different target curves, curtains, etc.
The app is a must, but I would dare to say that for high end receivers, it’s probably worth buying MultiEQ X and the calibrated mic as well.

I’m curious to try Dirac (when I get a new AV), but so far happy with Audyssey. For me, Dynamic EQ is off, I don’t like it on, even with a reduced reference level.

One important thing I haven't seen mentioned with regard to the use of Denon Dynamic EQ is the offset reference. Dynamic EQ is absolutely not a simple on/off feature. In general, for regular listening I don't use Dynamic EQ but if I do I certainly don't start with the default offset reference of 0 dB

One important thing I haven't seen mentioned with regard to the use of Denon Dynamic EQ is the offset reference. Dynamic EQ is absolutely not a simple on/off feature. In general, for regular listening I don't use Dynamic EQ but if I do I certainly don't start with the default offset reference of 0 dB
I'm perfectly happy with Dynamic EQ disabled, but if I had to keep it on, it would probably be at 10 or 15dB offset, not to 0dB (reference level). The like/dislike for this option will probably depend on the target curve used for EQ'ing.

I'm using it full-range, FWIW, and not hearing distortion in the treble.
I'm not using it full range because it adds quite a few dB between 10KHz and 20KHz. The natural slope of my speakers sounds more natural to me, so I decided to use a curtain that stops at 4KHz. This week I'm getting a Umik mic, so that I can get a better understanding of what Audyssey actually does...

I'm not using it full range because it adds quite a few dB between 10KHz and 20KHz. The natural slope of my speakers sounds more natural to me, so I decided to use a curtain that stops at 4KHz. This week I'm getting a Umik mic, so that I can get a better understanding of what Audyssey actually does...
That's a limitation of the Audyssey. It shows the original measured room response, but only the "expected" corrected curve after the filters are applied. It does not measure the final result.

Measuring after with REW (with the Umik mic), adjusting the target curve with Ratbuddyssey (using also the App) and running again Audyssey is the workflow to follow. Specially to smooth the curve slope around the transition of the crossover between the "small" speakers and the SUB.

But this is more complicated and heavy than other automated solutions, like DIRAC, as I have read. (I dont have DIRAC).

That's a limitation of the Audyssey. It shows the original measured room response, but only the "expected" corrected curve after the filters are applied. It does not measure the final result.

Measuring after with REW (with the Umik mic), adjusting the target curve with Ratbuddyssey (using also the App) and running again Audyssey is the workflow to follow. Specially to smooth the curve slope around the transition of the crossover between the "small" speakers and the SUB.

But this is more complicated and heavy than other automated solutions, like DIRAC, as I have read. (I dont have DIRAC).
I plan to follow this workflow. I just need to get a Umik mic so that I can measure the results. I am about to get a new AV processor, so I will only purchase MultiEQ X and Dirac later in the month; now it doesn't make sense financially. I don't have subs, so adjustments are overall easier for me.

I have made a sincere effort to get through Audyssey setup for this Denon AVR-X4300h and not been successful yet.
1. Incomplete (ran out of time)
2. Complete but whacky results (not careful with mic placements)
3. Incomplete - using measuring tape and mic stand, I got 1-2-3-4 done and suddenly on 5 it started telling me that Right Rear "ambient noise too high or level too low". Tried 5 times with no change. Stone silence in the room and no way to adjust level? I gave up.

In Google search I saw a recommendation to do a factory reset. I don't really want to do that now that I've got everything the way I want it.
What's the verdict? Thanks in advance.

I have made a sincere effort to get through Audyssey setup for this Denon AVR-X4300h and not been successful yet.
1. Incomplete (ran out of time)
2. Complete but whacky results (not careful with mic placements)
3. Incomplete - using measuring tape and mic stand, I got 1-2-3-4 done and suddenly on 5 it started telling me that Right Rear "ambient noise too high or level too low". Tried 5 times with no change. Stone silence in the room and no way to adjust level? I gave up.

In Google search I saw a recommendation to do a factory reset. I don't really want to do that now that I've got everything the way I want it.
What's the verdict? Thanks in advance.
Please try with the Audyssey app for tablet (I use an iPad). You will have better control over the results and will be able to adjust the target curve to preference. You will also be able to remove mid-range compensation (mostly unnecessary with well-designed speakers) and add curtains (for example, to limit correction to 300/500Hz).

I used this app in the past and then upgraded to the paid version of Audyssey, MultEQ-X. But the app is very very good. If you want more control over target curves please use Ratbuddysey. It’s a graphic interface to import/export target curves.

if you don’t use Dynamic EQ, it’s probably good to follow a Harman target, something like a +5dB low-shelf below 150Hz. I would avoid correcting frequencies above the transition frequency because what you care about are room modes primarily. If you correct above 300/500Hz, you might impact the direct sound of the speakers. Perhaps, check the measured data by Audyssey and make sure there is a gentle slope down (tilt) from 1KHz to 20KHz. Any issues in that range should be fixed with parametric EQ (or tone controls) rather than room correction software.

Getting into room correction stuff can be time consuming and overwhelmin, but the results are worth the effort. Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Back