HiRez Poll Beatles, The - THE BEATLES (The White Album) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Beatles - THE BEATLES (The White Album)

• Total voters
How would you compare this to the Love and Anthology mixes? I am not able to listen until this weekend or next week.

Not as discrete as the Anthology mixes, closer to "Love", better than "Sgt Pepper".

However, Rev9 pulls out every stop and actually IS Columbia Q8-like.

I'm a 10 on this one; as mentioned before, I find myself enjoying the "little" songs more than the ones that were played to death. Just thrilled to have it before my poor four little doggie feet are permanently shooting to the sky! And then there's this from Sir Paul:

Last edited:
Many if not most of us have had the experience of listening to a pair of speakers that really pop in initial hearing, but become fatiguing with a long session or with different material (JBL L-100) vs a speaker than almost makes you yawn as a first impression, but then draws you in as you continue to listen, until you aren't really noticing the speaker at all, just the music (EPI 100). This mix is the EPI 100, not flashy or gimmicky in any way, but just drawing you in, making you appreciate the music in a great way and at times in ways you never have before. "Mother Nature's Son" was just magnificent, and it's always been kind of a middle of the road track for me. I was so glad they used the slap back echo on the snare on "Helter Skelter" like on the mono instead of the dry treatment like on the stereo. If I were to pick one nit, I would say that Paul's bass seems to have lost a shade of it's wonderful upper midrange growl. The pick on Rick sound was one of the most iconic rock sounds in my mind and it is slightly softened here. As much as I was disappointed in the Pepper 5.1 is as much as I am elated with the 5.1 White Album. Giles and his team really hit a home run here.
You could be hearing him use a Fender Jazz vs the Ric on the WA.

Well...you have to read the description on these used sets...I'm a big fan of the warehouse specials...BUT...I wouldn't be buying the one's at $104...I'm not surprised to see this damage on the WA...mine came from amazon and they didn't go a great job...like they usually do...I'd look for sets in better condition...IMO they will surface if you wait it out...

Well...you have to read the description on these used sets...I'm a big fan of the warehouse specials...BUT...I wouldn't be buying the one's at $104...I'm not surprised to see this damage on the WA...mine came from amazon and they didn't go a great job...like they usually do...I'd look for sets in better condition...IMO they will surface if you wait it out...
you are correct, buyer beware. I bought U.D.O Live In Sofia with the same caveat and in that case it was just vigorously shrink wrapped by Amazon. The only damage was from their sticker which patience minimized during removal. I would expect with an item this size it will be more noticeable.

you are correct, buyer beware. I bought U.D.O Live In Sofia with the same caveat and in that case it was just vigorously shrink wrapped by Amazon. The only damage was from their sticker which patience minimized during removal. I would expect with an item this size it will be more noticeable.

In this case they give specific damage...marks on disc isn't one I would buy...the first one has a "large mark on disk"...some are just cosmetic damage..

The only damage was from their sticker which patience minimized during removal.

I HIGHLY recommend a product called "un-du". My brother, who is a book collector, recommended it to me. You put it on and it releases the adhesive. It also makes a big oily looking stain that will completely freak you out and have you thinking that you've ruined everything. But if you leave it alone and walk away for ten minutes, it dries without a trace. It's really amazing stuff. I use the original, I've heard the low VOC doesn't work as well.

I voted 10. I started with listening to all 6 CD’s with the home rig, not car. I read the book, held and played with all the parts of package.
Yesterday I sat, no media, just sat and listened to the 5.1 and I just can’t tell you how happy it made me. I have been listening to surround music since 2014 and this has been the year, buy them all.
The White Album made me feel so relaxed, I wished for nothing, no thoughts of why that speaker, need this turned up or down, 100% great from start to finish. I loved it and very happy.

My local Barnes & Noble has both The White Album and Sgt. Pepper marked as 40% off in-store only (Black Friday). White Album is $107 and Sgt. Pepper is $89. There's also a 25% off coupon you could use on either. Had multiple coupons and got both for around $140.
I took advantage of your tip. I just got back from my local B&N with TWA in tow. It cost me $88.08 including tax. The receipt says I could have save an additional $10.80 if I were a "member." Great deal. Thanks

So this is pretty great! The mix is quite discrete and well-balanced. Great use of the rears for backing vocals and brass/orchestra parts. As Jon says it's certainly not a "Columbia Q8" mix, but neither are all those great SW and ES mixes we all love. I'm really pleasantly surprised at some of the aggressive mixing choices, such as the piano hard right rear on "Rocky Raccoon" (y)(y)(y)

My favorite mixes are "Piggies" (pig snorts and strings totally discrete in the rears), "Savoy Truffle" (brass blasting from behind), and "Revolution 1" (the "shooby-doo" backing vocals really effective in the rears).

"Revolution 9" is indeed suitably crazy, but it's just not a track I'm gonna revisit often. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that there aren't actually real multis for that one, as it was originally done as a live mix of all those different sound effects tracks. So how was the surround mix done then? It sounds to me like they pulled a trick similar to Roxy Music's "India" on Avalon, where the stereo mix is sort of panned around to make it seem surround-y. Whatever they did is certainly quite effective.

I gave it a 9. Docked one point for the very disappointing mix on my favorite track, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

"Piggies":

"Savoy Truffle":

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps":

Last edited:
Awesome. I had not planned on buying this, but the reviews were so much better than Sgt Peppers, which i didn't get, that i just had to hear this for myself. Wow, you guys were right on, i really like this surround mix. Really glad to have it.The music is an all time favorite that i really haven't listened to as much as i would like to have since i got it on CD, it was rather harsh sounding, and made me not want to listen to it very often. But now,wow, i have had it 4 days and listened to it 5 times already, nice and warm sounding . Soo glad i got a copy, woo hoo. Only complaints are the price, i would have been much happier with just the bluray alone, and a minor complaint on the mix of While my guitar gently weeps, why no surround love on that track. Overall i am extatic. I voted a 10.

Hi Boyz, hope all had a great thanksgiving! I worked a 12 at the hospital doing CatScan.

I think that comparing the WA to a faux mix is relevant in that if a hobbyist can take some faux multi tracks and come up with a very lively surround mix just think what that same hobbyist could do with the real multi-tracks and so could have been done here! To me other then Rev. 9, and the other songs mentioned above, out of 2 lp's worth of songs, this is a conservative mix and I will never be a fan of just reverb in the rears on 80 percent of the music, I don't care who the band is!

I was hoping for a surround experience akin to Paul's DTS surround mixes of Band.... and Venus.... Lofty expectations I know! Ya I know they were Q-8.

As far as turning off my scope, come on? Can any one here tell me that they don't use their scope especially when they have a first spin of a new release. Please! My scope is on all the time and is indispensable for balancing front to back and right and left so scope that out!

Last edited:
Hi Boyz, hope all had a great thanksgiving! I worked a 12 at the hospital doing CatScan.

I think that comparing the WA to a faux mix is relevant in that if a hobbyist can take some faux multi tracks and come up with a very lively surround mix just think what that same hobbyist could do with the real multi-tracks and so could have been done here! To me other then Rev. 9, and the other songs mentioned above, out of 2 lp's worth of songs, this is a conservative mix and I will never be a fan of just reverb in the rears on 80 percent of the music, I don't care who the band is!

I was hoping for a surround experience akin to Paul's DTS surround mixes of Band.... and Venus.... Lofty expectations I know! Ya I know they were Q-8.

As far as turning off my scope, come on? Can any one here tell me that they don't use their scope especially when they have a first spin of a new release. Please! My scope is on all the time and is indispensable for balancing front to back and right and left so scope that out!

OK, you know me, always trying to push and further my education of music. If someone, uneducated, like me, wanted to buy and use a scope as you mention above, what would it take? Links are helpful.

Back