Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than D~V, our only other hope of SONY/RCA QUAD/5.1 releases is from SONY Japan and all they seem interested in is re~issuing QUAD titles OOP from the 00 era. The only NEW QUAD title actually released was Santana's LOTUS.

Bitches Brew came out after Lotus.

Also I'm not aware of any quad titles from the 2000s, you must be thinking of 5.1.

Who's naive, the labels or us? I would put money on the former. As more and more people become computer savvy, the potential profit from releasing hi-resolution quad and 5.1 titles currently languishing in the vault is endless.

I think they are waiting to jump to downloads which is the real cash cow....no pressing plant costs...no logistic problems with distribution...it's like printing money....their problems are technology related...but they have some obstacles...the Baby Boomer generation is reducing in number...so they can't sit on these classic albums much longer... and the current generation of artists don't need record companies anymore....they can get their music out without the backing of studios...the old business model of going into these elaborate studios isn't necessary anymore...I'm just glad that I have enough music to last me for a LONG time...so when they stop selling physical media...it won't affect me that much....of course I'd like some new surround versions of albums that were never done....but I'll get over it...

I think they are waiting to jump to downloads which is the real cash cow....no pressing plant costs...no logistic problems with distribution...it's like printing money....their problems are technology related...but they have some obstacles...the Baby Boomer generation is reducing in number...so they can't sit on these classic albums much longer... and the current generation of artists don't need record companies anymore....they can get their music out without the backing of studios...the old business model of going into these elaborate studios isn't necessary anymore...I'm just glad that I have enough music to last me for a LONG time...so when they stop selling physical media...it won't affect me that much....of course I'd like some new surround versions of albums that were never done....but I'll get over it...

Clinty, maybe you should just get back into watching old~fashioned movies ...... they're plentiful, they're cheap and at least you can waste two hours watching one instead of rummaging through your music collection.

Have we mentioned the two Japanese Hot Butter albums?? They'd make an AWESOME two-fer. In the US they were "Popcorn" followed by "More Hot Butter" but in Japan were "Popcorn" and "Kappa Maki". Still, great surround even on the CD-4's of these so to have the discrete in hi-res would be amazing. And they're sort of right in D-V's wheelhouse of instrumental/easy listening.

Have we mentioned the two Japanese Hot Butter albums?? They'd make an AWESOME two-fer. In the US they were "Popcorn" followed by "More Hot Butter" but in Japan were "Popcorn" and "Kappa Maki". Still, great surround even on the CD-4's of these so to have the discrete in hi-res would be amazing. And they're sort of right in D-V's wheelhouse of instrumental/easy listening.
I have to agree with you on that. Those would be fun...

I don,t know if it has been mentioned yet but
How about looking at the PYE Quad releases?

I'm still hopeful for two-fers of:

War
Stylistics

Both have hit filled albums, both owned and controlled by indies (I think). Both with stunning sound quality.

I'd love to hear how The World Is A Ghetto sounds from the master tape. I have the white shell cart, which is recorded too hot and sounds dull. It's a shame as the quad mix is pretty good, though it has the vocals at equal power in all four channels which I don't really like.

Apparently the Canadian run of UA Q8s were duplicated by RCA and sound much better. But not as good as an SACD, I'm sure...

I wonder if Master Lists of AVAILABLE QUAD/5.1 Titles are available from the majors [and even the indies] of what IS available to license for Surround reissue. With all the red tape involved and the reluctance on some artists' part to NOT release certain titles, or citing poor condition of the master tapes, I'm certain a lot of our favorites are just not available ..... at any price.

And one would think the indies would be more amenable to Surround reissues [turn over a quick buck] if the masters are in usable shape.

I wonder if Master Lists of AVAILABLE QUAD/5.1 Titles are available from the majors [and even the indies] of what IS available to license for Surround reissue. With all the red tape involved and the reluctance on some artists' part to NOT release certain titles, or citing poor condition of the master tapes, I'm certain a lot of our favorites are just not available ..... at any price.

And one would think the indies would be more amenable to Surround reissues [turn over a quick buck] if the masters are in usable shape.

I seem to remember seeing a list like that for Sony somewhere on this forum about a year ago:unsure: And it was very thin!

I would guess that there are A-List titles in quad and in perfect condition that no one has ever asked to license.

Both War and Stylistics could be available - yet nobody has ever asked.

I seem to remember seeing a list like that for Sony somewhere on this forum about a year ago:unsure: And it was very thin!
Could not have been than thin on titles if EZ Listening, Country, Jazz and if RCA were included to say nothing of Classical (see D/V catalog for a hint).

It might have been that thin regards to Rock. And Rock albums that went gold in particular. But Sony is packed to the gills with quad masters - and so many seem to be in great condition when they are found.

The Collection AF sampler also gives us a hint that so many more things are there that could have been released.

Let's all hope that this year tops them all, and that it's not the year of the 4.0 decline.

Last edited:
You may have seen the list of unavailable quad titles. That list would be much easier to compile.

I'm just wondering if SONY has tightened their grip on the list of 'potential' A List artists they are willing to license to Dutton Vocalion for one reason or another.

I doubt that.
Sony's policy has been to license albums for release on SACD disc since the start of the format.

When it comes to "A-List artists", or any artists for that matter, even if you get a label OK and agreement for reissuing an album, that doesn't mean you can get the artist approval/licensing.
In some cases, even one member of a band saying no - or putting a block on an album or the entire catalog of the band - means it is a no-go.

Lovely list, and nice to see the ones we've already gotten. And to think RCA/BMG is an open door just waiting for us to feast on it.

Everyone knows we want Santana, Winter, BOC, and some RCA things. I have a feeling Sony/Japan has Santana in mind for their next 7" series.
Aerosmith has not declined afaik. Their contract is still in the hole by tens of millions. BOC might not be D/V's style. But I can't believe nobody has jumped on EW or JW even if they are still in print in Europe. I think BGO might have the two-fers still out on shelves there.

Back