Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh you mean that because most all of the title are OOP on (real pressed) physical media, no High-Res ever done, no Multi-channel ever, means that there is no need to bother now?

I see it completely different, "Simba" never getting a H-Res, not currently in print, and the quad never issued again means it's more of a prime choice, less exploited title. A better choice than many. Might not be real expensive either.

OK, quicksrt, you want Simba In Surround ..... Here's the Best I can do:

71DbfeaYijL._SL1372_.jpg

Anyone here know anything about the Groove Merchant Quad releases? I have these albums in stereo, but can't find much info about the quad versions. Simba is a killer album! Would love to have a reissue of them all in sacd.

O'Donel Levy - Simba
Jimmy McGriff - Groove Holmes* ‎– Giants Of The Organ Come Together
Buddy Rich ‎– The Roar Of '74

Hang on, Simba got a quad release?! I remember us getting that in a charity shop I help out in. Two of the guys played it, liked it, then played it again at some point. I checked if they'd cleaned it before play testing and they played it again. A customer bought it. I discovered the album through that process.

Just did a quick check of HRAudio.net's site and AFAIK, Groove Merchant has never released any of their albums in any hi res formats. And a quick check of Buddy Rich's The Roar of '74 @ AmazonUS yields a made on demand CD~R from the label LRC Ltd https://www.amazon.com/Roar-74-Buddy-Rich/dp/B0002VKZZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1545613943&sr=1-1&keywords=buddy+rich:+the+roar+of+'74

So the most we could hope for is a manufactured on demand 4.0 SACD~R from LRC Ltd!:eek:

Similar scenario with O'Donel Levy's Simba https://www.amazon.com/Simba-ODonel-Levy/dp/B0026FD5U4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1545614507&sr=1-1&keywords=O'Donel+Levy+Simba

So I wouldn't get our panties 'undies' in a bunch that we'll be seeing these three titles anytime too soon on 4.0 SACD!

I just bought The Roar of '74 from amazon Canada about a month ago, and it is NOT a made on demand CD. It's a legit silver pressing.
In fact, almost the entire Groove Merchant catalog is available from Canada. The US made on demand must be a recent thing

f-f-f-fizzy you ain't seen nothin' yet..! :giggle:

Another on Mercury for consider-ization would be........Rod Stewart - Smiler. :)

Time for som of The Roosters quad/s

Or how about some other quad mercury MCA , like E.J. , Steely Dan's ???????

Awwww sigh , shit , sigh would be could be GREAT !!

Another on Mercury for consider-ization would be........Rod Stewart - Smiler. :)

Time for som of The Roosters quad/s

Or how about some other quad mercury MCA , like E.J. , Steely Dan's ???????

Awwww sigh , shit , sigh would be could be GREAT !!
While I agree with you, I also think that Donald Fagen and the folks in charge of the Estate of Walter Becker should get together and work on a Steely Dan box set. There could be vinyl and digital boxes remastered by one of the industry legends and it could include the original SD in quad, adventuresome remixes in 5.1, plus bonus tracks from live shows(there have to be some good ones in the vault - I caught a SD show several years ago in Mansfield, MA and the sound was to die for, so I can’t imagine that any live recordings would be of lesser quality). Besides, the Dan are long time audiophile favorites, guaranteed to sell out copies of a limited edition box.

FWIW , I notice Mercury is one of the few very co-operative labels from UMG that have permitted surround sound releases held in their vault .

Rush , Allman Bros , are two , must be more. Velvet Underground (Atlantic/Mercury , as is some Rush , INXS)

Tears For Fears , Mike Oldfield , Bryan Adams , and most importantly. ......Alan Parsons .

I'm just wondering if SONY has tightened their grip on the list of 'potential' A List artists they are willing to license to Dutton Vocalion for one reason or another.

My fear is that if Dutton keeps selling these titles they will cut them off...or increase the cost .....they have proven that they would rather sit on titles if they can't get the money they want....

I'm just wondering if SONY has tightened their grip on the list of 'potential' A List artists they are willing to license to Dutton Vocalion for one reason or another.

My fear is that if Dutton keeps selling these titles they will cut them off...or increase the cost .....they have proven that they would rather sit on titles if they can't get the money they want....

Who's naive, the labels or us? I would put money on the former. As more and more people become computer savvy, the potential profit from releasing hi-resolution quad and 5.1 titles currently languishing in the vault is endless.

Who's naive, the labels or us? I would put money on the former. As more and more people become computer savvy, the potential profit from releasing hi-resolution quad and 5.1 titles currently languishing in the vault is endless.

Other than D~V, our only other hope of SONY/RCA QUAD/5.1 releases is from SONY Japan and all they seem interested in is re~issuing QUAD titles OOP from the 00 era. The only NEW QUAD title actually released was Santana's LOTUS. I'm sure other than Simon and Garfunkel/Paul Simon's SOLO QUADS which are unattainable at this juncture, Santana's CORE albums and supergroups like Aerosmith, the Winter Brothers, etc. are likewise unavailable for reissue, at least to D~V!

I'm sure SONY Japan would be up to the task of releasing a Santana QUAD SACD box set and the demand would be high but as we all know ..... so would the price...for roughly 14 titles!

Last edited:
Back