Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a CD-4 conversion to DVD works out well, it really does work out well. We are lucky that the Motowns were Japanese pressed/issued and that they were or are CD-4.

The big bummer is a Q8 only quad release. Or I am not sure what's worse, a hissy Q8, or a non-discreet SQ when it's all you've got!

Que Pasa, Brian? Did they all suddenly perish?

The Philips Quad tapes, mentioned by fredblue, have been released by Pentatone (Classical) and Dutton Vocalion (Easy Listening) on Surround Sound SACD.

When it comes to the Motown Quad tapes, they have been searched for several times in the past and not found for reissue.
Whether that suddenly changes (like the Santana Lotus tapes) or not is a question for the year(s) ahead....

The Philips Quad tapes, mentioned by fredblue, have been released by Pentatone (Classical) and Dutton Vocalion (Easy Listening) on Surround Sound SACD.

When it comes to the Motown Quad tapes, they have been searched for several times in the past and not found for reissue.
Whether that suddenly changes (like the Santana Lotus tapes) or not is a question for the year(s) ahead....

Brian, do you know if this applies to the multitracks, as well, whereby new 5.1 remixes could be accomplished?

last time they saw them,
was "Last Time I Saw Him"!
or maybe that was a Quad master mirage.... o_O

And therein lies the challenge. Most of the Universal Surround Sound tapes are not available from Universal Music.
Even for their own Surround Sound releases!

I hope Universal still have the Quadraphonic tapes for the Justin Hayward/John Lodge "Blue Jays" album, just like they still had the Quadraphonic tapes for the original 6 Moody Blues' Quadraphonic releases.
If DV could release "Blue Jays" as a Quadraphonic SACD, I would definitely buy more than one copy!

:)

And therein lies the challenge. Most of the Universal Surround Sound tapes are not available from Universal Music.
Even for their own Surround Sound releases!
I think that the Universal umbrella is too large for a general statement to be made. Enough of the quad tapes have in fact been found and released that we now know many of them are still on file.

That said, US Decca and MCA did not do much if any quad. So what was not mixed to quad willl for sure not be found.

It seems that Motown quad material is not exactly forthcoming. It's all Japanese which leads us to think it's in the Japan vaults, unless you personally know otherwise. Yet, as mentioned Diana Ross has seen the light of day as a fold-down. How did that album appear if all of the Motown is gone bye-bye?

So the only ones we just do not seem to be getting are the A&M titles, and any Impulse/ABC/Dunhill.

I hope Universal still have the Quadraphonic tapes for the Justin Hayward/John Lodge "Blue Jays" album, just like they still had the Quadraphonic tapes for the original 6 Moody Blues' Quadraphonic releases.
If DV could release "Blue Jays" as a Quadraphonic SACD, I would definitely buy more than one copy!

:)

Or someone else has the tapes.

While the record label usually holds the master tapes, in some cases, the artist, producer or engineer might have them.
In the Universal SHM-SACD reissue series, some of the best sounding releases came from SACDs made from tapes held by the artist - not Universal!

Anyone here know anything about the Groove Merchant Quad releases? I have these albums in stereo, but can't find much info about the quad versions. Simba is a killer album! Would love to have a reissue of them all in sacd.

O'Donel Levy - Simba
Jimmy McGriff - Groove Holmes* ‎– Giants Of The Organ Come Together
Buddy Rich ‎– The Roar Of '74

i don't know anything about them (calling steelydave!) and i only have the Buddy Rich Q8 but it's excellent Quad!

Anyone here know anything about the Groove Merchant Quad releases? I have these albums in stereo, but can't find much info about the quad versions. Simba is a killer album! Would love to have a reissue of them all in sacd.

O'Donel Levy - Simba

It would seem that their catalog is well looked after.

contact info?:

Current incarnation:
LRC Ltd.-Groove Merchant Records
5515 Virginia Crossing
Univerity Park, FL

But label is still an indie, but out of Florida now:

http://www.lrc-groovemerchantrecords.com/index.html

It would seem that their catalog is well looked after.

contact info?:

Current incarnation:
LRC Ltd.-Groove Merchant Records
5515 Virginia Crossing
Univerity Park, FL

But label is still an indie, but out of Florida now:

http://www.lrc-groovemerchantrecords.com/index.html

Here is a link on their website about licensing : http://www.lrc-groovemerchantrecords.com/id67.html

Please contact us regarding licensing opportunities.

We will evaluate each license request personally.

We own 100% of our catalog.

In many cases we also own publishing rights.

Sarasota FL - 941 358 1226

Someone get this info to Dutton-Vocalion post-haste!

Here is a link on their website about licensing : http://www.lrc-groovemerchantrecords.com/id67.html

Please contact us regarding licensing opportunities.

We will evaluate each license request personally.

We own 100% of our catalog.

In many cases we also own publishing rights.

Sarasota FL - 941 358 1226

Email:

Someone get this info to Dutton-Vocalion post-haste!
One could simply email and ask if their Quadraphonic 4-channel master 1/4 inch reels still exist in their vaults?
This before bothering D/V with chasing a dead end - in case they tossed :cry: their quad tapes thinking it was a dead format with no future potential.
Specificly these three, but most importantly the "Simba" album Quad masters?

O'Donel Levy - Simba

One could simply email and ask if their Quadraphonic 4-channel master 1/4 inch reels still exist in their vaults?
This before bothering D/V with chasing a dead end - in case they tossed :cry: their quad tapes thinking it was a dead format with no future potential.
Specificly these three, but most importantly the "Simba" album Quad masters?

O'Donel Levy - Simba

Just did a quick check of HRAudio.net's site and AFAIK, Groove Merchant has never released any of their albums in any hi res formats. And a quick check of Buddy Rich's The Roar of '74 @ AmazonUS yields a made on demand CD~R from the label LRC Ltd https://www.amazon.com/Roar-74-Buddy-Rich/dp/B0002VKZZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1545613943&sr=1-1&keywords=buddy+rich:+the+roar+of+'74

So the most we could hope for is a manufactured on demand 4.0 SACD~R from LRC Ltd!:eek:

Similar scenario with O'Donel Levy's Simba https://www.amazon.com/Simba-ODonel-Levy/dp/B0026FD5U4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1545614507&sr=1-1&keywords=O'Donel+Levy+Simba

So I wouldn't get our panties 'undies' in a bunch that we'll be seeing these three titles anytime too soon on 4.0 SACD!

Last edited:
Just did a quick check of HRAudio.net's site and AFAIK, Groove Merchant has never released any of their albums in any hi res formats. And a quick check of Buddy Rich's The Roar of '74 @ AmazonUS yields a made on demand CD~R from the label LRC Ltd https://www.amazon.com/Roar-74-Buddy-Rich/dp/B0002VKZZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1545613943&sr=1-1&keywords=buddy+rich:+the+roar+of+'74

So the most we could hope for is a manufactured on demand 4.0 SACD~R from LRC Ltd!:eek:

Similar scenario with O'Donel Levy's Simba https://www.amazon.com/Simba-ODonel-Levy/dp/B0026FD5U4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1545614507&sr=1-1&keywords=O'Donel+Levy+Simba

So I wouldn't get our panties 'undies' in a bunch that we'll be seeing these three titles anytime too soon on 4.0 SACD!
Oh you mean that because most all of the title are OOP on (real pressed) physical media, no High-Res ever done, no Multi-channel ever, means that there is no need to bother now?

I see it completely different, "Simba" never getting a H-Res, not currently in print, and the quad never issued again means it's more of a prime choice, less exploited title. A better choice than many. Might not be real expensive either.

Back