Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always been a sucker for Tomita. Goes back to my stoner days in the 70's.

I was pleasantly surprised to get another 300 bonus points coupon which ironically expires in a few hours to my order [with the Tomita] and added a newly released Leonard Bernstein Stereo SACD to my order.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICC-10267?s_ssid=e369f35c4949546b16

Also makes one appreciate D~V's remarkable Tomita Daphnis and Chloé QUAD SACD at £11.99. Wonder if they'll release more?

I was pleasantly surprised to get another 300 bonus points coupon which ironically expires in a few hours to my order [with the Tomita] and added a newly released Leonard Bernstein Stereo SACD to my order.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICC-10267?s_ssid=e369f35c4949546b16

Also makes one appreciate D~V's remarkable Tomita Daphnis and Chloé QUAD SACD at £11.99. Wonder if they'll release more?
I didn't realize that Pictures at an Exhibition is on that one too! I really like the 1958 Bernstein recording of the Rite of Spring (more than the 1970s version, although that one is also good, and available on quad: https://www.discogs.com/BernsteinLo...avinsky-Le-Sacre-Du-Printemps/release/3469243). There's just more fire in the earlier version.

Probably easier in most cases to just renegotiate with the label that’s been handling the stuff for so long. They’d have to sign with SOMEone. As Chicago seems to have learned, owning your own label isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
No, owning your masters and rights to them is everything. Running a label is not for everyone.

Heres one I wouldn't mind getting and its up their alley style wise: Peter Nero Summer of 42. I found the quad album and surprised myself by playing it quite a bit. Among all their easy listening quad resissues I did not spot any Peter Nero....

they've done quite a few Peter Nero CDs so its a possibility, I guess!

March is on the horizon, I wonder what the Wizard of Watford is brewing up for us? As he stirs his cauldron Fredblue is whispering Motown Motown into his ear Steely Dave has dropped off a batch of tapes he acquired during his secret mission to the Eastern Bloc, is he now writing new liner notes? Will Mr Dutton reach into the Teutonic forests and produce a Two Fer of quad Heino? Does he have a hand reaching into the PDU archives? Will he introduce Quad reissues from the Supraphon label?
Or are we getting Robert Goulet and Jim Nabors? Who knows, as he stirs and stirs Simon is flipping a coin in the basement and assigning tracking numbers at random muttering Now that's an easy pound.........

60th Anniversary of MOTOWN, D~V.

How about showing MOTOWN some SPECIAL LOVE!

motown.jpg

1959~FOREVER in our HEARTS ....ALWAYS in our SOUL

Last edited:
At the very least bynhof, you have a NEW pen pal in Simon @ D~V. Told you they never disappoint. Remember one thing: D~V has put out more old 70 QUADS than ALL the other reissue companies COMBINED and at 1990 prices.

And hopefully, they're just getting started!

soon they will have put out more than 70 old Quads.. but they haven't put out The Temptations' 1990 Quad.. its Motown's golden anniversary dammit! the least they can do is put out a gold surround SACD of the 1970's Quad of 1990 in 2019..!! is that too much to ask!! o_O just wait til i start writing to them! :geek:

Dear Dutton Rapscallions,

Please lock the Wizard Of Watford in his mastering suite for the next, umm, 50 years and make him remaster every Quad ever, including the Motown Quads, especially the Temptations' album 1990, originally released in 1973 and remixed in Quad in 1974, which has been reissued 37 times between 1973 and 2004. need i remind you it is 2019, the golden anniversary of Motown after all! what better way to celebrate 50 years of Motown than with shiny new gold discs!

oh and i should also like the Wizford Watdid to do all the Quads that never got released, even the stuff that got put in catalogues back in the old days but never actually got mixed, just fill out the track listing with numbers but no song titles, do liner notes leaving out all the letters Q, U, A & D and credit the engineer who was booked to do the Quad mix but never did, oh and just leave the disc blank, i think all Quad fans will appreciate the Quad preservation effort!

everything Quad. all the time Quad. Quad. Quad. Quad. Quad. until there's no Quad left - and even when that happens, just keep putting out Quad discs full of white noise on DTS CD. somebody somewhere will try decoding it. (me).

Thank you, that is all.

Love,
Fred. Xx

ps. if you stop doing Quad you are dead to me.

soon they will have put out more than 70 old Quads.. but they haven't put out The Temptations' 1990 Quad.. its Motown's golden anniversary dammit! the least they can do is put out a gold surround SACD of the 1970's Quad of 1990 in 2019..!! is that too much to ask!! o_O just wait til i start writing to them! :geek:

Dear Dutton Rapscallions,

Please lock the Wizard Of Watford in his mastering suite for the next, umm, 50 years and make him remaster every Quad ever, including the Motown Quads, especially the Temptations' album 1990, originally released in 1973 and remixed in Quad in 1974, which has been reissued 37 times between 1973 and 2004. need i remind you it is 2019, the golden anniversary of Motown after all! what better way to celebrate 50 years of Motown than with shiny new gold discs!

oh and i should also like the Wizford Watdid to do all the Quads that never got released, even the stuff that got put in catalogues back in the old days but never actually got mixed, just fill out the track listing with numbers but no song titles, do liner notes leaving out all the letters Q, U, A & D and credit the engineer who was booked to do the Quad mix but never did, oh and just leave the disc blank, i think all Quad fans will appreciate the Quad preservation effort!

everything Quad. all the time Quad. Quad. Quad. Quad. Quad. until there's no Quad left - and even when that happens, just keep putting out Quad discs full of white noise on DTS CD. somebody somewhere will try decoding it. (me).

Thank you, that is all.

Love,
Fred. Xx

ps. if you stop doing Quad you are dead to me.

+ A ZILLION OF US DUTTON VOCALION WORSHIPPERS!!:SB:SB:SB:SB:SB:SB:SB:SB:SB

Last edited:
+ A ZILLION OF US VOCALION WORSHIPPERS!!:SB:SB:SB:SB:SB:SB:SB:SB:SB

setting aside the Motown stuff for a Mo., i wah-wah-wah-wah-wonder which Universal assets the Wizbit of WTF-Ford might have considered.. there's some great Quads under Universal's control, if any of the tapes survive and licensing is available, would love to see them do stuff like 3 from The Four Tops, there's at least 6 (!) B.B. King's, the Steely Friggin' Dans, Rufus ft Chaka Khan, Joe Walsh, Three Dog Night, Jim Croce, Grass Roots, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Allman Brothers and all the yummy Pye's! nom nom nom!! :p

setting aside the Motown stuff for a Mo., i wah-wah-wah-wah-wonder which Universal assets the Wizbit of WTF-Ford might have considered.. there's some great Quads under Universal's control, if any of the tapes survive and licensing is available, would love to see them do stuff like 3 from The Four Tops, there's at least 6 (!) B.B. King's, the Steely Friggin' Dans, Rufus ft Chaka Khan, Joe Walsh, Three Dog Night, Jim Croce, Grass Roots, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Allman Brothers and all the yummy Pye's! nom nom nom!! :p

And hopefully sooner rather than later Adam...all before we start hitting those harp strings!!:p

Joe Walsh in surround would be awesome! Recently have started replaying his AF solo albums. Never got into the James Gang (except for the one album Tommy Bolin replaced him) or even more so, his Eagles period, but his solo albums? Great stuff!

The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get was released in quad and it's a nice mix. On "Rocky Mountain Way" lead guitar is entirely in the right rear channel and the talkbox solo is in the left rear. The bad news is that is was an ABC/GRT release, which probably means the master tape is gone :(

I also think So What was scheduled for quad release and never appeared.

The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get was released in quad and it's a nice mix. On "Rocky Mountain Way" lead guitar is entirely in the right rear channel and the talkbox solo is in the left rear.

I also think So What was scheduled for quad release and never appeared.

I've got a couple conversions of The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get; I think one each LP and Q8, they both seem to have a slightly recorded in a tin can sound to me.
Do you notice any of that?
-And So What is my number one Walsh album, bummer on that one!

I've got a couple conversions of The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get; I think one each LP and Q8, they both seem to have a slightly recorded in a tin can sound to me.
Do you notice any of that?

Yeah, my Q8 has that kind of sound as well unfortunately...I really jacked the treble up when I did my conversion. Have yet to pick up the LP version.

Back