What Oppo Audio Products Cost Today (after their production ended)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a BDP-80 that is still going fine. Bought it new off the Oppo site when it came out, or shortly thereafter I believe. It just will not play quad through my newest receiver, and I've decided I can live with that. But I have a 103 and an old DV-970HD that are working. In fact I just got the 970 back from Oppo's service folks. New decoder IC, new transport for $48 + I paid to ship from Fl to Ca. Can't say enough good things about OT Service Inc, they got my 970 around noonish and had it picked up by FedEx a few hours later.

Someone in the Oppo FB users group posted a link to this recently completed auction: a BDP-105D that sold for $850 US. Have we reached "Peak Oppo" yet?
I think this is just slightly high, but not out of this world high. Why, is this the highest you've seen? 105Ds are still hot, maybe not double the cost of a 103, but nearly double no?

Not only do the Oppo’s have good specs, but they are built like a tank, at least compared to that little cheap Sony I bought to rip SACDs. That thing is as light as a feather, don’t even know if it’s gonna survive ripping all my Multi’s, let alone the Stereo SACDs I haven’t got to yet🙂

Like @boondocks and @ssully , I also have a DV-9xx that still works fine (in addition to a 103 that gets the heaviest usage of any of my players and [ahem] a 205 that's really too rich for my blood--or for the rest of my equipment, anyway--and which I only fire up on rare occasions). The 9xx's (and maybe even the 8x's?) were not built like tanks--in fact my 980H looks, feels, and sounds(!) even cheaper than my cheap little Sony backup. But they keep on running, like old Volkswagens!

I have both. The Sony is much cheaper, build wise. My Pioneer isn't loud...yet.
Mine was loud from day one. Not when it plays, but when it loads. But it has never screwed up or froze up, and in that respect its very reliable. But I can attest to the fact that Elite doesn't mean what Elite use to mean. In comparison, I also have an old Pioneer Elite DV-45a from the pre Bluray pre HDMI days. And that thing is built as good as my Oppo.

Last edited:
I think this is just slightly high, but not out of this world high. Why, is this the highest you've seen? 105Ds are still hot, maybe not double the cost of a 103, but nearly double no?

I just hadn't been paying attention to the market. I knew 205s (and even 203s) were going for crazy prices, but didn't realize 105s were fetching so much. Wondering when--and how high--the market will top out.

It cant be much worse than the Pioneer :LOL:"Elite" :LOL: 80-FD I use for the same SACD ripping purpose. I cant get over how loud the mechanism is.
I've got a Pioneer universal player which is really loud when loading and searching for an index point: like an old 3.25 inch floppy disc drive - but louder. Otherwise performance is very good and layer changes are invisible.

I just hadn't been paying attention to the market. I knew 205s (and even 203s) were going for crazy prices, but didn't realize 105s were fetching so much. Wondering when--and how high--the market will top out.
Fetching so much??? Weren’t they $1,500 new or something really outrageous? I don’t think it’s that high for a used (older) top of the line Oppo unit.

I have an old, still functional, Oppo DV-970HD. Looks like that model fetches a whopping $30 on ebay. Guess I'll hang onto it.

Well it still plays all audio formats and upscales dvds, a bargain for that price.

I have a couple of bdp-83’s which do everything i want except rip sacds. I can plug my headphones into the 2 audio out jacks and get a direct audio hit to my headphones.

I also just picked up a dv-980hd which handles dvds and sacds just fine, it doesnt have the 2 audio out jacks though so when i plug my headphones into 2 speaker out jacks the sound is much quieter than through the bdp-83

For those looking for a 203 and don't have confidence in Ebay or other secondary markets....our friends at amazon marketplace have several in "like new" condition...which could mean they were never even opened....they were in the $1800 range...but in amazon's policy of rotating their prices frequently....the few that they have in this condition are now $1131

You're right: contemporary reviews had the 105 at $1199 and the 105D at $1299. I hadn't remembered they were so much more than the 103s. Since Oppo is still selling new 105Ds on Amazon for $2700 (!), I guess $900 for a good used unit is a relative bargain...

Ok...a little clarification is needed here....Oppo isn't selling that unit...a third party with dubious reviews is trying to sell it...a seller with a 79% approval rating...and the chance of this guy selling this at $2700 is less likely than someone winning the lottery...

Ok...a little clarification is needed here....Oppo isn't selling that unit...a third party with dubious reviews is trying to sell it...a seller with a 79% approval rating...and the chance of this guy selling this at $2700 is less likely than someone winning the lottery...

Guess I should bow out of this thread before I spread still more misinformation based on faulty assumptions, Clint...

I was looking at the "OPPO Digital" prominently displayed below the item name, rather than the "Ships from and sold by HOYDStore" underneath the "Add to Cart" button. Other Marketplace sellers are anywhere from a cool grand for "Good" condition to fourteen hundred for "Like New."

Back