Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to be careful what you say on this forum about sensitive issues. In order of importance:

3) No politics
2) No religion, and above all...
1) Never a discouraging word when the topic is Pink Floyd.

No joke. I mentioned that I didn't like one little part of DSOTM, a release which I rated a 10. I almost got my cyber head chopped off and put on a pike. It was so bad that Urban had to intervene.

Attachments

• jc02.jpg
    jc02.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
Yes the AUDIO button doesn't change the audio on the fly like other recordings.
I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can change the settings on the Sony X800. While the disc was playing today, pressing TOP MENU did nothing.
i have the same player and i use it for SACD and Bluray. The audio button on the remote works for me to change the audio track.

Attachments

• remote.jpg
    remote.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 0
Checked the X800 manual and it doesn't address this particular problem (the manual is more concerned with video Blu-ray/4k playback).
Thinking now its my older Denon 3806 receiver that while it does HDMI, it isn't compatible with the more modern x800.
The screen shows that the x800 found the multi mix but it isn't translating through HDMI to the Denon 3806 receiver.
Looks like I will have to use my Denon 3910 to play this SACD.

Back in 2020 there was a similar problem for fthesoundguy:

Oh well, not a big deal, the x800 plays the Blu-ray version through the Denon receiver and my system very well.

Out of curiosity, what is your HDMI output set to? Is it at least 1080p? I recall one of the Oppos from back in the day would not bitstream DSD if the resolution was set to less than the bandwidth required for DSD and the solution was 1080p output.

Also the Sony has a second HDMI output which I believe is 1.4 vs 2.0 on the main one, have you tried that connection? It's designed to help with possible handshaking issues on older equipment, allowing a user to run HDMI 2.0 from the X800 to their television directly and HDMI 1.4 to their AVR.

EDIT - Hold on a sec - on the Blu-ray are you selecting 5.1 PCM? Your AVR is HDMI v1.1 right? That means it won't decode dts-MA. If you're listening to the 5.1 dts-MA then you're only hearing the lossy dts core. If you're selecting 5.1 PCM then you're hearing it in all its glory. Native DSD wasn't added to HDMI until version 1.2, so you need to ensure your X800 is set to output DSD as PCM.

Settings > Audio Settings > Digital Audio Output should be set to "PCM"

There is another setting under this sub-menu, DSD Output Mode should be set to "Off" but the previous setting may grey this option out.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-09 102700.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-09 102700.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Played the Blu-ray today and the surround sounded very nice. Good bass and surround effects.
Switched to the SACD version but it starting playing what sounds like the stereo remix.
How do you change the menu to 5.1? I haven’t played an SACD in quite awhile but thought their would be a menu.
I’m using a Sony X800.
Aren't there two separate settings? One to make sure it is playing the SACD portion of the disc and not the Redbook CD, and the other setting that plays the multichannel part of the SACD and not the stereo part?

Out of curiosity, what is your HDMI output set to? Is it at least 1080p? I recall one of the Oppos from back in the day would not bitstream DSD if the resolution was set to less than the bandwidth required for DSD and the solution was 1080p output.

Also the Sony has a second HDMI output which I believe is 1.4 vs 2.0 on the main one, have you tried that connection? It's designed to help with possible handshaking issues on older equipment, allowing a user to run HDMI 2.0 from the X800 to their television directly and HDMI 1.4 to their AVR.

EDIT - Hold on a sec - on the Blu-ray are you selecting 5.1 PCM? Your AVR is HDMI v1.1 right? That means it won't decode dts-MA. If you're listening to the 5.1 dts-MA then you're only hearing the lossy dts core. If you're selecting 5.1 PCM then you're hearing it in all its glory. Native DSD wasn't added to HDMI until version 1.2, so you need to ensure your X800 is set to output DSD as PCM.

Settings > Audio Settings > Digital Audio Output should be set to "PCM"

There is another setting under this sub-menu, DSD Output Mode should be set to "Off" but the previous setting may grey this option out.

‘Thanks I will check this out further.

I haven’t played an SACD in quite awhile but thought their would be a menu.
The SACD format does not offer video.

Much like conventional (2-channel stereo) audio CD's, the SACD format was released at a time (c 1999) when audio signals were transported out of players using RCA/phono analogue outputs only!

Cheers

The SACD format does not offer video.

Much like conventional (2-channel stereo) audio CD's, the SACD format was released at a time (c 1999) when audio signals were transported out of players using RCA/phono analogue outputs only!

Cheers

‘I’ve grown so used to DVDA/ Blu-ray/ 4K discs that loading a SACD after not using the format for a few years has thrown me off. Forgot that they don’t have menus.
Lots of good info here.

Some/most players have a default setting for Stereo or multi-channel.
True on my Sony, if I want to listen to Ted Nugent “Free for all/Cat scratch fever” I need to go into the settings as it will only play the Multichannel portion of the disc even though there’s two albums on there, I have it setup for multichannel so it only plays the Free for all Quad portion, if I want to hear Cat scratch fever I have to go into settings and change it to stereo then change it back, it’s a total pain in the ass

Talk about going off-topic!

IIRC, my oppo105 has settings to prioritize SACD and HDCD over RBCD if there’s a choice. I have a disc that’s SACD and HDCD (somebody’s demo, I forget who), and it plays the HDCD if that’s the setting. Seems a little odd, but that’s life. I have no idea how to play a stereo SACD layer if there’s a MCH layer on the disc, but I doubt I would use it much in that case.

Last edited:
yes on that model
Sorry to be contrary but you cannot change the audio on an sacd using the audio button on the 800, it is set to either stereo/multi, or cd/sacd layer in the settings, if like most of us in here you have it set to default to sacd layer and multi that is all it will play until you change it in the settings, no way to change it using the audio button, i’ve tried it with multiple discs and it doesn’t do it.
Please see post 2525 above, that is the only way to change it on the 800

Sorry to be contrary but you cannot change the audio on an sacd using the audio button on the 800, it is set to either stereo/multi, or cd/sacd layer in the settings, if like most of us in here you have it set to default to sacd layer and multi that is all it will play until you change it in the settings, no way to change it using the audio button, i’ve tried it with multiple discs and it doesn’t do it.
Please see post 2525 above, that is the only way to change it on the 800
i just did it the other night listening to Jeff Beck (RIP) Blow by Blow SACD. Works on mine.

Back