PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra and DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Just by "accident" (I was trying to figure out what was on some unlabled discs that were lying around my PC) I discovered that Power DVD Ultra v7.3 will play back a DVD-A copy without caring about the watermark!

I have attempted to make a compilation disc from DVD-A tracks for the car a year or so ago, and it didn't work. I thought I trashed the disc, but this was one of the ones I just tried in the PC and the damn thing plays.

Go figure! :mad:@:

Just by "accident" (I was trying to figure out what was on some unlabled discs that were lying around my PC) I discovered that Power DVD Ultra v7.3 will play back a DVD-A copy without caring about the watermark!

I have attempted to make a compilation disc from DVD-A tracks for the car a year or so ago, and it didn't work. I thought I trashed the disc, but this was one of the ones I just tried in the PC and the damn thing plays.

Go figure! :mad:@:
Jon can you then send the analog out and record?

Jon can you then send the analog out and record?

Recording analog is possible, mastering a new dvd-a will lead to the same result: the watermark will still exist, with all the consequences.
In other words: no way (been there done that).

Recording analog is possible, mastering a new dvd-a will lead to the same result: the watermark will still exist, with all the consequences.
In other words: no way (been there done that).

I have tried all sorts of things including recording into the MC soundcard, and the watermark is still there unfortunately..

Oh well at least I have my SACD collection backed up..

The only way I could make my DVD-A back-ups play was to convert them to DTS 24bit/44.1khz discs.

Copies made by recording into a MC soundcard at 24/48 MLP, 24/48 PCM, 16/44.1 MLP, and 16/44.1 PCM all carried the watermark with them.

When I converted the files to 24/44.1 and burned to a CD, the CD played without any interuption. Lossy, but better than nothing, I suppose.

When I converted the files to 24/44.1 and burned to a CD, the CD played without any interuption. Lossy, but better than nothing, I suppose.

yeah better than nothing..

You can use pretty much any DVD backup program and copy the DTS or DD version onto a DVD-R..

If these discs weren't out of print I wouldn't even bother making a backup, knowing I could rebuy any should my original not play..

I have been playing around with this Samsung 841 player, which can be modified in many ways. Check out this site and check the files. There is a watermark deactivator. I think it is for divx, but not sure.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ZoranDVD/

Anyone have a clue?

The Oppo DV-980H does not "honor" the watermark on burned DVD-A discs, i.e., it ignores them :D

I plan on being an archiving fool over the next few weeks:smokin:

Jon, I don't think I have ever seen a soundcard that did not have a mini stereo output jack.

Well, it's a SB X-Fi. Actaully, it does have the 6 ch speaker outs. I suppose that qualifies. I was thinking more along the lines of a 6CH audio out deal.

Sometimes I think too much! :mad:@:

Concerning PowerDVD7 and watermarks, here's a paraphrase of a comment I found on another forum:

Not every version of PowerDVD has the watermark detector. Check "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\AudioFilter" folder. If the folder contains CLAud_w.ax file then the detector is there. If it's just CLAud.ax there is no detector.

Supposedly, the detector was only in older versions of PowerDVD

thanks for the info on the Oppo player ignoring the watermark. A little searching found these players also don't honor the watermark:
BBK
718SI
985s
1010S
DK-1910Si

LG
DK 487X
DF 599

Pioneer

Rotel
RDV 1080

Samsung
P 355
P 355KD

Toshiba
SD530E

Yamaha
S1500

Now I just need to figure out how to back-up my sacd discs.

thanks for the info on the Oppo player ignoring the watermark. A little searching found these players also don't honor the watermark

Good to know..thanks

I was able to backup every DVD-Audio disc without having to use DL blanks - about 1/2 the discs are watermarked..

Now I just need to figure out how to back-up my sacd discs.

I backed up my SACD discs using a MC sound card..There are a few steps involved but worth it for a backup and can play them in the car..

I'm hoping that sometime this year we will see 5.1 or 7.1 sound cards with HDMI in and out and we can stay all digital..and I'll back up the SACD's again..

Back