PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra and DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I backed up my SACD discs using a MC sound card..There are a few steps involved but worth it for a backup and can play them in the car..

I have a creative soundcard with analog (has 3 stereo analog connections). I assume I can use a stereo to rca connector to plug my dvd player into the soundcard. From here out I'm a bit fuzzy if you could help? Is there a preferred program to capture the sacd as wav files?

I have a creative soundcard with analog (has 3 stereo analog connections). I assume I can use a stereo to rca connector to plug my dvd player into the soundcard.

The RCA plug is fine but I don't know if the 3 pairs do in fact correspond with a 5.1 channel configuration..

From here out I'm a bit fuzzy if you could help? Is there a preferred program to capture the sacd as wav files?

Hope others can recommend another solution because I use Sony Soundforge 9 to capture the waves but it has 2 drawbacks:

1- there is a maximum time limit of around 45 minutes which means splitting up a longer album..but does allow recording at 24/96 avoiding a resampling step..

2-It records as one single 6 channel wave file instead of making 6 mono waves

I use a program called Plogue which will split it into the 6 monos..

From here it's your choice of Surcode (dts or Mlp) and then Chrome for the final DVD-A..

If you need any help on making a cue file for the chapter points on the DVD-A disc let me know..

Hope others can recommend another solution because I use Sony Soundforge 9 to capture the waves but it has 2 drawbacks:

1- there is a maximum time limit of around 45 minutes which means splitting up a longer album..but does allow recording at 24/96 avoiding a resampling step..

2-It records as one single 6 channel wave file instead of making 6 mono waves

I can recommend Sony Acid Pro 6. It allows recording of six separate channels at 24/96 without time limit and saves each channel as a separate mono file.

You mentioned the 6 channels at 96/24 and then using surcode. I thought surcode only uses 48hz files, not 96? Do you resample down to 48hz, or are you just importing the 6 wav's into a dvd-a authoring program keeping the 96/24? Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

You mentioned the 6 channels at 96/24 and then using surcode. I thought surcode only uses 48hz files, not 96? Do you resample down to 48hz, or are you just importing the 6 wav's into a dvd-a authoring program keeping the 96/24? Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I believe what John was suggesting was using SurCode MLP to encode the six mono 24/96 files into one 24/96 MLP file. The MLP file is then entered into Discwelder Chrome, trackpoints set, and the 24/96 DVD-A burned to disc.

I believe what John was suggesting was using SurCode MLP to encode the six mono 24/96 files into one 24/96 MLP file. The MLP file is then entered into Discwelder Chrome, trackpoints set, and the 24/96 DVD-A burned to disc.

Ahh, got ya now. I've got way too much spare time on my hands right now, so have vowed to attempt to back up my sacd's and dvd-audio discs (they've become impossible to find and way too expensive on e-bay for the one's I still want).

Just to get back a little on topic (powerdvd playback of watermarked dvd-a) I read somewhere that powerdvd ignored the watermark up until version 7.3.3319a. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not, but won't upgrade to a newer version.

George is correct..

There are quite a few DVD-A's where the audio_ts folder is larger than 4.7 GB..

The easy solution is to use DL blanks - however you can get them to fit onto a DVD5..

I used a program called DVD-A Explorer (alpha 7) - do a google as it;s freeware..

This program lets you extract just the 5.1 MLP tracks - use Chrome and make your DVD-A

I used a program called DVD-A Explorer (alpha 7) - do a google as it;s freeware..

This program lets you extract just the 5.1 MLP tracks - use Chrome and make your DVD-A

Just to let you know, dvd-a explorer is up to alpha 10 now I believe. You may want to give it a try.

Thanks very much!! - works like a charm..

ImgBurn was the key as neither Nero or DVDFab burn the disc properly..

:)

Are you sure that DVDFab is not the key instead of Imgburn? I tried "Brain Salad Surgery" and used DVDFab and Imgburn and with the copy in the 980 after the Rhino logo played, the disc just hung. Tried the same thing using Imgburn to both read and write the ISO with the same hanging results in the 980. Maybe it is the options set-up within the software? Perhaps a few more details. I have a lot of DVD-A discs that I would like to back-up if possible.

Are you sure that DVDFab is not the key instead of Imgburn? I tried "Brain Salad Surgery" and used DVDFab and Imgburn and with the copy in the 980 after the Rhino logo played, the disc just hung. Tried the same thing using Imgburn to both read and write the ISO with the same hanging results in the 980. Maybe it is the options set-up within the software? Perhaps a few more details. I have a lot of DVD-A discs that I would like to back-up if possible.

yes it really was imgburn that was the key..

I wasted many DVD-R's trying every conceivable option - even went on the DVDFab forum with no help there..

with watermarked discs this is what was happening..

Full Disc method

I always got error message 103 (write error) very shortly (5%) after starting task 1..this is the point where the 1st watermark was..and DVDFab stopped..

Clone Method

Disc burns fine using DVDFab - no error messages

try to play the MLP DVD-A tracks..

In the car (JVC):

-no menus
-disc plays at twice the speed
-no sound

in the house (oppo 980)

-no menus
-disc starts at track 01 - does not advance forward
-skip to track 02 displays time correctly but does not play

I tried a variety of approches and programs to burn the ISO, with no luck..

Until hafquark told me he copied fine using Imgburn..

I have been able to copy the 24/96 MLP files on all 64 DVD-A discs I own..

I'll explain the steps..

Here are the steps involved using DVDFab and ImgBurn..

IIRC, it only works with DVDFab Platinum - they have different DVD copy products..

1-launch DVDFAB and it will default to Full Mode - will scan and read the original disc..

2-For the Target - click on the ISO button and make an ISO file, then checkmark the box "Copy DVD-Audio (AUDIO_TS folder)."

3-Switch over to the Clone method on the left side - on the next screen, UNcheck the box "Copy DVD-Video Data Only." Hit the start button and it will make the ISO file.

4- Next up is to use an ISO program - I used IsoBuster, but I'm sure others like MagicIso or UltraIso will work just as well

5-Make a new directory on your HD with 2 subfolders - Audio_ts and Video_ts.

6-click on the Audio_TS folder in IsoBuster - choose the Extract option and extract it to the Audio_ts folder on the HD

7-launch ImgBurn - choose the Build Mode - click on the AUDIO_TS folder on the hard drive and drag it onto the left side window in ImgBurn...

8-Click on the Calculator Icon on the right side to get the total file size..

Burn the disc..

Couldn’t get it to work.

I got to step 5 and created a folder on the desktop with 2 more folders inside Audio_ts and Video_ts.

I then went to step 6 and used the Extract option and extracted it to the Audio_ts folder on the HD. This creates a folder called AUDIO_TS with all the DVD-Audio contents inside that folder inside the folder Audio_ts. Clicking on the AUDIO_TS folder inside the Audio_ts folder when building gets the “You’ve only selected only 1 folder!” window in ImgBurn. I clicked yes and created a Data disc I believe, that would not play music.

I did not get the “You’ve only selected only 1 folder!” window when I built the disc using the root directory folder with the empty Video_ts folder and the AUDIO_TS folder (throwing away the empty Audio_ts folder) and created a disc that played for a few seconds, but with the same watermark problem.

What steps am I missing? Thanks.

couldn't you eliminate steps 5 and 6 by using a virtual drive to mount the iso and then select the audio and video ts from that drive in imgburn? I use daemon tools to create my virtual hard drives. Also, where in imgburn do you add layer break info? I'm sure I'll find it.........

Couldn’t get it to work.

I got to step 5 and created a folder on the desktop with 2 more folders inside Audio_ts and Video_ts.

I then went to step 6 and used the Extract option and extracted it to the Audio_ts folder on the HD. This creates a folder called AUDIO_TS with all the DVD-Audio contents inside that folder inside the folder Audio_ts. Clicking on the AUDIO_TS folder inside the Audio_ts folder when building gets the “You’ve only selected only 1 folder!” window in ImgBurn. I clicked yes and created a Data disc I believe, that would not play music.

I did not get the “You’ve only selected only 1 folder!” window when I built the disc using the root directory folder with the empty Video_ts folder and the AUDIO_TS folder (throwing away the empty Audio_ts folder) and created a disc that played for a few seconds, but with the same watermark problem.

What steps am I missing? Thanks.

Looks like you have one too many audio_ts folders

do the extraction to the root folder not the audio_ts one

This will NOT eliminate the watermark - you still need a player like the Oppo to play these copied discs..

PS....of the 64 discs, 35 have a watermark..

Last edited:
couldn't you eliminate steps 5 and 6 by using a virtual drive to mount the iso and then select the audio and video ts from that drive in imgburn? I use daemon tools to create my virtual hard drives. Also, where in imgburn do you add layer break info? I'm sure I'll find it.........

I see no reason why a virtual drive shouldn't work..never tried it cause things were going well..

Never tried a DL burn - Hafquark did say he has burned DL discs without telling ImgBurn where the break is..but pretty sure you can insert it somewhere in Imgburn..

Back