Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I re-encode dsd to Flac at 88.2kHz/24-bit for playback on my OPPO. The only reason I do this is because the file sizes of native dsd.dff streams (especially multi-channel streams) are huge compared to the Flac re-encodes.
As do I, also, the unofficial Oppo guide had recommended here converting dsd to 88.2 if converting.

Why not 176.4KHz when converting SACD to PCM?

The hardware is capable of doing 176.4 and the licensing is not different. OPPO believes that 88.2KHz actually produces a better quality result for SACD DSD to PCM conversion. OPPO feels that even to offer 176.4 as an option would mislead people into thinking the higher rate must be better when that's simply not the case.

SACD players do not convert at a higher rate -- as measured at the Analog output. The process of producing Analog from DSD for SACD requires a 50KHz filter (just as exists in the OPPO's DACs when DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion is in effect), which is the equivalent of a 100KHz sampling rate limit (see Nyquist Limit). 88.2 is the highest multiple of 44.1 that does not exceed 100.

88.2 here too.
Question for the experts:
I use dbpoweramp to convert .dsf files (created by Sonore ISO2DSD) to FLAC and and calculate replay_gain tag for track and album. This works fine for stereo tracks, but will not add the replay_gain tag for multichannel files. Do I need to add another DSP ? Am I missing something ?

I did that for a while, but sometimes I like to use shuffle play, especially the feature in jRiver, "Play Doctor".
My Roku can connect to my NAS, and it will shuffle the songs in a folder.

Last edited:
My Roku can connect to my NAS, and it will shuffle the somgs in a folder.
What player? I didn't think a Roku had the ability to play Quad (4.0) and 5.1, much less the ability to play DSD and DTS. If you load it up with a PCM 5.1, a 5.1 DSD, and a 5.1 DTS file, all in the same playlist, they all play shuffled, one after another without choking, or creating any strange noises, from the processor due to switching formats?

I must admit I'm not familiar with today's Plex builds...
I set up Plex for my parents on Firesticks (4K) and picked up a Yamaha receiver with HDMI on Facebook for $40. I couldn't get 5.1 pcm files working, but I did read the new 4K max 2nd gen, does support it. For video files, I was able to get compressed audio in 5.1 working.

What player? I didn't think a Roku had the ability to play Quad (4.0) and 5.1, much less the ability to play DSD and DTS. If you load it up with a PCM 5.1, a 5.1 DSD, and a 5.1 DTS file, all in the same playlist, they all play shuffled, one after another without choking, or creating any strange noises, from the processor due to switching formats?
It’s a Roku Ultra, connected by Ethernet to a drobo 5N with DLNA, with HDMI output to a Marantz 7701.

I don’t usually play back that way because I prefer using my Oppo 105’s playback, but I know the Roku is perfectly capable of 5.1 playback from Netflix and Prime.

No, just busy with real life.
Wow! Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to proclaim that your Roku does shuffle play. Our little community is better for it.

Surely the Roku offers it's own media player app. How else would you be able to navigate to, select and play media files?
Ahh, that’s what you meant. Yes, there’s a “Roku | Media Player” “app.”

I just tried playing my 5.1 FLAC rip of “Tubular Bells” and nothing is coming out of the rears. Through my Oppo 105, the same file plays through as it should. 🫤

Back