Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning everyone, I would like to know if? the Sony or Panasonic players listed here;
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/
they are capable, in addition to ripping, also of reading, and then always listening to them on the same player, DVDs burned with SACD ISOs,

on the web they call them SACD -R.

Thank you

This is a very broad question that no one can easily answer, because while most of these Blu-ray player could at one time play back SACD-R, that feature was removed via firmware update. The only remaining players that can still play SACD-R are likely those that have not been firmware updated, but there is no database of player models and firmware versions to refer to.
Additionally, some of these players are able to have their firmware version rolled back, but it's not an easy or recommended practice as things can go wrong that would result in a bricked player.

I have a Oppo BDP-80, they never changed the firmware as it was out of production when the licensing authorities came down on Oppo.
It plays SACD-R, but will not rip it as far as I know.
I also have an Oppo DV-970HD with changed firmware that will play SACD-R, and an old Samsung HD841 the same.
Of course these are all older players, I don't know who did the hacked firmware for the 970HD and the HD841 but it works.

I've never bricked a player installing changed firmware, but I guess it could happen.
My Oppo 103 has Russian firmware, and although it won't play SACD-R discs it will play the .iso off the network function. Same with all video (DVDA/DVD/BD) so far I guess.
I had to flash the firmware on the 103 directly through the firmware flash port in the machine with a USB >TTL converter.

I read some posts but didn't go very far. Maybe if you searched this site or just listed the players you are interested in?
I use my Oppo 103 for ripping SACD, not up on the other players.
Look back through this thread as well. Good luck.
@mandrix
hi, I also had an OPPO, especially the 9x and the DV980, sold because it had become noisy, it read audio DVDs but not SACD-Rs, among other things they are now expensive

I certainly did research on the web for the models I'm interested in, only that some in the specifications read DSD -DFF files, and DSF also gives a USB stick, I would need a Blu Ray that reads the burned DVD and if I do web research, writing in Google description of the blu ray model

Example 'Panasonic BDT xxx reads sacd-r'

I find very little and the models date back at least 10 if not more years ago, so I wouldn't want to buy a dated device! and have problems,

I think you will agree.

reading all the 3D is a bit of a pain, for goodness sake I don't want to be a burden, and if some good man here in the thread can give me a hand I would be grateful and happy,

Thank you .

P.S. I also signed up on hifi heaven, but I have to wait for confirmation, then I'll try to post there too!

another interested model is the Panasonic BDT 560 at 180 euros from the official dealer

or sony BD 4100

@mandrix ciao bè certamente ho fatto ricerche nel web dei modelli ai quali sono interessato , solo che alcuni nelle specifiche leggono i file DSD -DFF , e DSF anche dà chiavetta USB , a mè servirebbe un Blu Ray che legga il DVD masterizzato e se faccio ricerca web , scrivendo in Google descrizione del modello blu ray
Esempio " Panasonic BDT xxx legge sacd-r "
trovo ben poco e i modelli risalgono ad almeno 10 se non più anni fà , quindi non vorrei comprare un apparecchio datato ! e avere problemi ,
credo sarai d'accordo .
leggere tutto il 3D è un pò una gatta da pelare , per carità non voglio essere di peso , e se qualche buon uomo , qui nel thread puo darmi una mano ne sarei grato e felice ,
grazie .
P.S. mi son iscritto anche su hifi heaven , ma devo aspettare la conferma , poi proverò a postare anche lì !
altro modello , interessato è il Panasonic BDT 560 a 180 euro da rivenditore ufficiale
oppure sony BD 4100
Unfortunately, new models of disc players are unlikely to play SACD-R nor rip it. I hear some newer ones will not play burned DVDA as well.

A word of warning for Mac users who rip their SACDs using Oppo players.

Some people have reported that they've updated to MacOS 14.4 and can no longer rip SACDs with their Oppo. When running ISO2DSD, the program comes back saying that it is "Unable to open port 10.0.1.7:2002" and terminates. The IP address in the program matches the IP address of the Oppo. Nothing else has changed. An Oppo 103 was used in place of the 105 with the same problem.

If SACD ripping is important to you, you may wish to stick to MacOS 14.3.

Well I picked up a Sony BDP-S590 off EvilBay <$40 shipped (with a remote even). Still waiting on it as the USPS is dancing around and taking their sweet time.
I have an Oppo 103 but it's got Russian firmware and they disabled scripting, although I did get it to rip a few times it won't now.
Was nice to go back over this thread and look at the settings for the Sony's so I don't have to fumble around.

A word of warning for Mac users who rip their SACDs using Oppo players.

Some people have reported that they've updated to MacOS 14.4 and can no longer rip SACDs with their Oppo. When running ISO2DSD, the program comes back saying that it is "Unable to open port 10.0.1.7:2002" and terminates. The IP address in the program matches the IP address of the Oppo. Nothing else has changed. An Oppo 103 was used in place of the 105 with the same problem.

If SACD ripping is important to you, you may wish to stick to MacOS 14.3.

I'm still using an older Mac for ISO2DSD SACD ripping. I kept it just in case something like this ever happened. I rip using a Sony BDP-S5100, not an Oppo, but the same threat of failure is a concern. Thanks for this word of warning, Simon.

I'm still using an older Mac for ISO2DSD SACD ripping. I kept it just in case something like this ever happened. I rip using a Sony BDP-S5100, not an Oppo, but the same threat of failure is a concern. Thanks for this word of warning, Simon.
I'm lucky I don't have to worry as my Mac Mini from 2014 cannot be updated anymore.

So I got the Sony BDP-S590 from EvilBay. Set up the parameters.
Insert USB stick, drawer opens, I insert a disc then shut off the machine.
Drawer closes.
SACDExtractGUI says can't access xxx.xxx.xxx:2002.
Pings the device just fine.
More than a little lost here.

• Wow
Reactions: GOS
For some reason the software does not read the Japan BJ disc. Throws a message like "Response result non-zero or disc opened" then says unable to read the 2002 port.
I tried it about 15 times but just won't do it.
Has anyone run into this before? Has Sony found a way to defeat copying in the way the disc is made/authored? Just speculating...

EDIT to correct message from SACDExtractGUI.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: GOS
Another point, I read early on that some favored the USB 2.0 sticks. I discovered several of mine are bad: the Sony S590 refused to read them.
That left a USB-C stick, with which I used an adapter to match the port on the Sony. No problems in that regard.
FWIW.
I have not been back and read all 52 pages so if has been covered, all apologies. I'm really playing catch up as the Sony is a different animal than my Oppo 103 that I used to rip with.
Out of curiosity, I'm going to try and rip my B.O.C. disc that some had a problem with and see if it works.
Thanks much to @beerking & @J. PUPSTER and the many others that contributed to this thread.

Has Sony found a way to defeat copying in the way the disc is made/authored?

No, I have that very disc and various other Sony Music Japan SACD releases, all of them ripped with no issues. You need to carefully follow the instructions, be patient, don't rush to start the rip before the player's LED display has stopped flashing OFF, and be very sure you are closing the disc tray using the OFF button (not open/close).

Another point, I read early on that some favored the USB 2.0 sticks. I discovered several of mine are bad: the Sony S590 refused to read them.
That left a USB-C stick, with which I used an adapter to match the port on the Sony. No problems in that regard.
FWIW.
I have not been back and read all 52 pages so if has been covered, all apologies. I'm really playing catch up as the Sony is a different animal than my Oppo 103 that I used to rip with.
Out of curiosity, I'm going to try and rip my B.O.C. disc that some had a problem with and see if it works.
Thanks much to @beerking & @J. PUPSTER and the many others that contributed to this thread.
Not sure what it could be with the BJ disc.

One thing that happens to me occasionally, is the need to keep the folder name you’re ripping into short and simple. Then it might work, just one thought.

There is also some newer software that works better with some stubborn discs, that @SACD_ripper found. Maybe he can refresh us on that software?

Last edited:
Not sure what it could be with the BJ disc.

One thing that happens to me occasionally, is the need to keep the folder name you’re ripping short and simple. Then it might work, just one thought.

There is also some newer software that works better with some stubborn discs, that @SACD_ripper found. Maybe he can refresh us on that software?

It is the sacd_extract.exe (Windows), or sacd_extract (Linux/macOS) file that needs to be replaced/updated, nothing else.
That long file path issue, and also the special non-English characters present in the metadata issue were solved way back in August 2020, but you need the updated file mentioned above (just delete the file you currently have and replace it with the new one which has the very same name).
No, you can't keep both the old and new files in the same folder with the same name, so to avoid confusion just delete the old one, or if you absolutely must keep it for posterity, then create a different folder and move the old file there.
To solve the above mentioned problems once and for all, go to EuFlo's Github and download the most recent version for your particular operating system, you have to move to the very bottom of that page to see the download links.
If your browser has zipped the file for ease of download, you'll need to unzip it prior to adding it to your ripping program folder. If you place the unzipped file in the exact same spot that the old file was in, then no further settings changes are necessary, however if you put it in a different spot then you need to specify the path to it in the GUI's Program field (using the browse button and overwriting the old path).
Windows users are then ready to go, however Linux and macOS users will also need to make that file executable in Terminal.

It is the sacd_extract.exe (Windows), or sacd_extract (Linux/macOS) file that needs to be replaced/updated, nothing else.
That long file path issue, and also the special non-English characters present in the metadata issue were solved way back in August 2020, but you need the updated file mentioned above (just delete the file you currently have and replace it with the new one which has the very same name).
No, you can't keep both the old and new files in the same folder with the same name, so to avoid confusion just delete the old one, or if you absolutely must keep it for posterity, then create a different folder and move the old file there.
To solve the above mentioned problems once and for all, go to EuFlo's Github and download the most recent version for your particular operating system, you have to move to the very bottom of that page to see the download links.
If your browser has zipped the file for ease of download, you'll need to unzip it prior to adding it to your ripping program folder. If you place the unzipped file in the exact same spot that the old file was in, then no further settings changes are necessary, however if you put it in a different spot then you need to specify the path to it in the GUI's Program field (using the browse button and overwriting the old path).
Windows users are then ready to go, however Linux and macOS users will also need to make that file executable in Terminal.
Thanks, guys, I'm already using the latest version, sacd_extract-0.3.9.3-107-win64.
Also the extract path is simple: I/rips.
Seems to be just this one disc so far that is problematic.
I can't use the Oppo because it's jailbroke and scripting is disabled, so it's the Sony or nothing.

Back