Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it played in stereo through the Roku. The left and right channels were fine, the center was virtual, and the rest were silent.

I already noted that it played 5.1 FLACs in stereo, with the back channels lost.

It doesn't recognize DSD files as being playable at all. M4A stereo tracks play fine.
Thanks for clarifying this. I wonder if its worth creating a dedicated topic that discusses the audio output capabilities of these little playback devices!

That's pretty much what I've got so far. I can transcode some of my 5.1 FLACs into other file formats, but I guess nobody here cares much about OGGs.
Well.... Technically the term "ogg" refers to the container. Which can contain lossy audio streams such as: Vorbis and Opus. And lossless audio streams such flac. ;)

Thanks for clarifying this. I wonder if its worth creating a dedicated topic that discusses the audio output capabilities of these little playback devices!
Probably. It would be nice if someone with real knowledge could chime in with a reason that it works the way it does.

Well.... Technically the term "ogg" refers to the container. Which can contain lossy audio streams such as: Vorbis and Opus. And lossless audio streams such flac. ;)
I doubt if I’ve ever seen an OGG file. My audio editor, goldwave, shows that as a filetype it can store as. I haven’t felt the need to explore a fairly long list.

Probably. It would be nice if someone with real knowledge could chime in with a reason that it works the way it does.
Agreed... Such a topic will require people to have at least one (or more) of the devices, an AVR, along with the enthusiasm to test.

I can provide some multi-channel audio samples...

Last edited:
I think the Apple TV 4K can play lossless 5.1, but only at 24 bit 48k
Now that's interesting. So one of the samples below should work correctly with your Apple TV 4K but the other one wont!

Attachments

• 5.1 PCM [44.1KHz@16-bit] 10secs.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 5.1 PCM [48.0KHz@24-bit] 10secs.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Goldwave can store more filetypes than I care to list, and each filetype has choices regarding number of channels and compression ratings. I would guess that there are over 100 MP3 settings. These days, I always store anything I edit or rip in FLAC, high compression, and with the same number of channels the file came in.

Those files tend to sound good to me, and my Oppo plays them perfectly IMNSHO through Ethernet from my NAS.

I have two Rokus in the house, one in my theater and one in the TV room, both wired Ethernet connection. I rarely use them for audio streaming, but it’s the only option downstairs, and as I noted to start this discussion, the Rokus offer shuffle playback, which I don’t use if I’m sitting down and LISTENING to the music.

FWIW, the TV room has a stereo soundbar, so that system won’t tell me much about MCH playback.

Now that's interesting. So one of the samples below should work correctly with your Apple TV 4K but the other one wont!

I'm away from my Apple TV 4k for a few weeks, but I believe that it will transcode the 44.1k to 48k, so not really lossless. I will test when I am home.

Apple states that lossless stereo is 24 bit 48k, hires lossless stereo is 24 bit 96k or 192k - I think 44.1k is only supported at 16 bit.

iPhone and HomePod support up to 24 bit 48k.

I'm away from my Apple TV 4k for a few weeks, but I believe that it will transcode the 44.1k to 48k, so not really lossless. I will test when I am home.
Upsampling to a higher kps is not a lossy action, zero musical information is lost.
Unless of course if you were to upsample a 44.1 flac or wave file to a 48k mp3.

To be fair, you wouldn't (or shouldn't) be able to find 'multi-channel' PCM content encoded at 44.1kHz anyway, it should all start at 48.0kHz in accordance with the DVD specification, so there's no real reason why any playback device should support it, other than it's offers an indication as to how flexible any given playback device is.

Like a lot of people on this forum I've got a lot of lossless multi-channel music encoded in flac (and PCM) encoded at 48.0kHz, 88.2kHz, 96.0kHz and even 192.0kHz in 24-bits, so finding a small device such as a Firestick, Roku, Chromecast, etc, that can play this and output the audio correctly via HDMI to an AVR would be most useful.

Hello, I'm new to SACD and trying to rip a SACD. I have a Sony BDP-BX57. I have burned a SACD to a DVD from ad ISO and it plays fine. I am trying to rip but I can't even get the tray on the player to open when following the steps.
I have extracted and copied the AutoScript folder and its content to a blank USB thumb drive, I have tested with a newer SanDisk as well as with an old ADATA. Neither seem to work. I have changed the player settings as described at the beginning of this thread. Tested in both the back and front USB ports. Tested turning the player on with USB connected as well as connecting the USB once the player was on.

Is the Sony BDP-BX57 compatible with this ripping method? If so, any recommendations on what i may be doing wrong and what I could try?

I found that model discussed at the MIkey Fresh thread at HiFiHaven, it was tested and found to not be capable of ripping.
Best to stick to the models on the list.

Hello, I'm new to SACD and trying to rip a SACD. I have a Sony BDP-BX57. I have burned a SACD to a DVD from ad ISO and it plays fine. I am trying to rip but I can't even get the tray on the player to open when following the steps.
I have extracted and copied the AutoScript folder and its content to a blank USB thumb drive, I have tested with a newer SanDisk as well as with an old ADATA. Neither seem to work. I have changed the player settings as described at the beginning of this thread. Tested in both the back and front USB ports. Tested turning the player on with USB connected as well as connecting the USB once the player was on.

Is the Sony BDP-BX57 compatible with this ripping method? If so, any recommendations on what i may be doing wrong and what I could try?
Hi and welcome

I'm afraid the Sony BDP-BX57 will not rip SACD's

There should be plenty of the ones proven to work on various for sale sites.

Happy to help when you've sourced the correct player.

Good morning everyone, I would like to know if? the Sony or Panasonic players listed here;
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/
they are capable, in addition to ripping, also of reading, and then always listening to them on the same player, DVDs burned with SACD ISOs,

on the web they call them SACD -R.

Thank you
I read some posts but didn't go very far. Maybe if you searched this site or just listed the players you are interested in?
I use my Oppo 103 for ripping SACD, not up on the other players.
Look back through this thread as well. Good luck.

Back