Rip Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that I know what is going on with my rips from these Quadio's. In the past 4.0 discs were usually authored using 6 channels. The C and lfe channels were either blank or included derivatives of the four main channels.

In the past I always used Foobar to remove the "unnecessary" C and lfe channels, creating a 4.0 file.

The files are structured in the order L,R,Ls,Rs, (4.0) and play properly via a computer's four channel sound card (Out 1,2,3,4.). A 5.1 wav file places the channels in the order of L,R,C,lfe,Ls,Rs. That always caused them to play back as L,R,C,lfe. missing the surround channels! For compatibility I always converted 5.1 to 4.0!

It would appear that the Quadios are structured differently. I can rip them to a 4.0 file but only the front channels play! The file still contains all four channels and the surround channels display on the Spectrograph in Foobar but (Out 3,4) are muted. I can only assume that this was done so that the surround channels don't play back via the C and lfe channels (of a typical AVR).

I can use Foobar to add the extra (C & lfe) channels but there is no way that I know of to add totally blank channels. I have to put something in them derived from the other channels. That creates a six channel file. Playing it back the surrounds now play from (Out 5,6). The curious thing is that (Out 3,4) are still muted! Those derived channels do show up via the Spectrograph in Foobar.

So the file structure was altered to make 4.0 more compatible with 5.1 by somehow muting what otherwise would be C and lfe which in turn makes it less compatible for my use!

My work around is to re-encode the file using Audition 3. That process creates a "proper" 5.1 file with empty channels. That should be fine for most. I can use Foobar on that file to make a 4.0 file that works properly for me.

That makes for a lot of extra work.😣 I also notice that 192Khz with four or more playback channels is a bit much for my old computer to handle. I start getting clicks and pops on playback so I will have to down convert to 96Khz. I can't hear above 48Khz anyway.;)

I think that I know what is going on with my rips from these Quadio's. In the past 4.0 discs were usually authored using 6 channels. The C and lfe channels were either blank or included derivatives of the four main channels.

In the past I always used Foobar to remove the "unnecessary" C and lfe channels, creating a 4.0 file.

The files are structured in the order L,R,Ls,Rs, (4.0) and play properly via a computer's four channel sound card (Out 1,2,3,4.). A 5.1 wav file places the channels in the order of L,R,C,lfe,Ls,Rs. That always caused them to play back as L,R,C,lfe. missing the surround channels! For compatibility I always converted 5.1 to 4.0!

It would appear that the Quadios are structured differently. I can rip them to a 4.0 file but only the front channels play! The file still contains all four channels and the surround channels display on the Spectrograph in Foobar but (Out 3,4) are muted. I can only assume that this was done so that the surround channels don't play back via the C and lfe channels (of a typical AVR).

I can use Foobar to add the extra (C & lfe) channels but there is no way that I know of to add totally blank channels. I have to put something in them derived from the other channels. That creates a six channel file. Playing it back the surrounds now play from (Out 5,6). The curious thing is that (Out 3,4) are still muted! Those derived channels do show up via the Spectrograph in Foobar.

So the file structure was altered to make 4.0 more compatible with 5.1 by somehow muting what otherwise would be C and lfe which in turn makes it less compatible for my use!

My work around is to re-encode the file using Audition 3. That process creates a "proper" 5.1 file with empty channels. That should be fine for most. I can use Foobar on that file to make a 4.0 file that works properly for me.

That makes for a lot of extra work.😣 I also notice that 192Khz with four or more playback channels is a bit much for my old computer to handle. I start getting clicks and pops on playback so I will have to down convert to 96Khz. I can't hear above 48Khz anyway.;)
Why not just use MMH to add the blank channels? Or am I missing something?

Why not just use MMH to add the blank channels? Or am I missing something?
I couldn't install MMH, I will have to try again or just install it on another computer. It says that Windows Defender is blocking the installation but when I go to defender it says that Avast is blocking it. Despite adding exceptions and attempting to turn both off I have had no luck.

Will MMH create the type of wav file that I want, one that does not mute (Out 3,4) of my computer? My problem is not the lack of the extra channels but the fact that they are being muted! I prefer 4.0 wav files!

Audition 3 being very old does what I want, it hasn't been broken!

Keeping quad program in 5.1 format ends up being the most convenient.

There are a number of apps that just don't support anything between 2.0 and 5.1 very well. It might be a faux pas with not routing output conveniently - meaning you'd have to switch your system between 4.0 and 5.1 to deal with it. That usually leads to forgetting and treating yourself to a screwed up listen to the next thing before you catch yourself. So... screw it! Put everything into 5.1 'containers' and then you can just use whatever software.

I use alternate speaker management for 7.1 and above because of the side/rear channel faux pas. There's no one size fits all way to resolve that. So I click on either 5.1 or 7.1.4 setups. No mixing Atmos tracks with everything else in the same playlist for me yet!

Re: clicks and pops with over 4 channels
I'd check if a hard drive is dying! 6 channels of 24/192k or 12 channels of 24/96k is about 27.6 MB/sec. Half that if using FLAC. An old 5400rpm HDD spinner on SATA1 can do at least 50 MB/sec. (A newer 7200 rpm spinner is around 150 MB/sec. SSD on SATA3 is 600 MB/sec. The pci SSDs for video editing are up to 1200 - 5000 MB/sec.) Even the most HD audio is easy peasy for the oldest systems!

For the computer itself to be any bottleneck for that kind of audio it would have to be some 300 MHz CPU from 1996.

You could shop from 20 year old gear to upgrade those scenarios.

Last edited:
I couldn't install MMH, I will have to try again or just install it on another computer. It says that Windows Defender is blocking the installation but when I go to defender it says that Avast is blocking it. Despite adding exceptions and attempting to turn both off I have had no luck.

Will MMH create the type of wav file that I want, one that does not mute (Out 3,4) of my computer? My problem is not the lack of the extra channels but the fact that they are being muted! I prefer 4.0 wav files!

Audition 3 being very old does what I want, it hasn't been broken!
Is this what you're getting? Just expand the window until the "run anyway" box shows up then click it.
windows warning.jpg

Attachments

• windows warning.jpg
    windows warning.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 0

There are a number of apps that just don't support anything between 2.0 and 5.1 very well.
This issue has been going on for years. Some software or hardware playback devices might be able to play 4Ch pcm.wav files correctly but not 4Ch flac (or vice-versa). Some playback devices might be able to play 4Ch LC-AAC correctly but not 4Ch HE-AAC. It's a crap shoot!

For most maybe, not for me, I want 4.0!

Everything worked properly in the past but it appears that now it is broken!

I have no problem with 96Khz multi-channel just (sometimes) with 192Khz. I might have been playing from .dts when I noticed the problem also sometimes with multi channel .dsf converted to 176400. Stereo always works fine. I don't remember if I was doing something else with the computer at the same time but most likely I was. I tend to multitask.

I once had a problem with my old computer that ran an old Celeron processor (I forget what speed it was) I couldn't play flac without clicks and pops. Wave and MP3's worked fine. Decompressing the files obviously takes up processing power.
Is this what you're getting? Just expand the window until the "run anyway" box shows up then click it.
View attachment 99209
Yes I get a screen similar to that but without the option to run it anyway!

Last edited:

Everything worked properly in the past but it appears that now it is broken!

I have no problem with 96Khz multi-channel just (sometimes) with 192Khz. I might have been playing from .dts when I noticed the problem also sometimes with multi channel .dsf converted to 176400. Stereo always works fine.

I once had a problem with my old computer that ran an old Celeron processor (I forget what speed it was) I couldn't play flac without clicks and pops. Wave and MP3's worked fine. Decompressing the files obviously takes up processing power.

Yes I get a screen similar to that but without the option to run it anyway!
Yes, did you "pull down" on the bottom of the window to expand it until run anyway shows?

You get 4.0 without moving the mountain. Just sayin. Pick your battles and all.

I want one speaker management to rule them all too but I'm not spending time trying to write scripts to try to automate that. I don't mean to tell you what to do! I'm just trying to describe my experience with the scenario and taking what I believed to be the path of least resistance.

Success! With MMH I can add the extra channels and then the title even plays back properly via the computer with the surround from (Out 3,4)! I'm not sure why and not from Out 5,6? I did map the output so that Ls and Rs will play via (Out 3,4) but I'm not using that drive mapping right now! Just the stock Asio for VX822HR.

Anyway that works fine for my purpose, also there is no sputtering @192Khz. I am also able to remove the extra channels with Foobar and the 4.0 file still plays back properly!

FLAC makes those blank channels free by the way. Digital blank is reduced to zero space.

Back