Rip Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree,
popeye-1xl7tz8.png
Good one!

Ahem. Will it install in MacOS yet?

I lost interest early this year when the UI tools I am using in MMH did not support MacOS as I presumed (wrongly) it would for .NET 7.

But I’ve had a rethink and may start again in the new year now that .NET 8 has been released and further improvements in developing a UI for cross-platform support (MMH 8 will be released in January using .NET 8).

I just bought parts for a new ‘super’ PC build (20 core cpu, 4 x NVME SDDs) so I have no excuse not to re-start the MacOS project (and that would allow a Linux version too), although it will be hundreds of hours of work to replicate the GUI for cross-platform no doubt!

Honestly, I keep thinking it's about time to abandon MacOS for Linux. There's a native Linux Reaper version now and it just looks like Linux is becoming the 'pro' OS. I still see comments ripping on Linux audio though vs Mac. So I drag my feet. The comments I see in audio forums about getting DAWs to work in Windows look frightening and quite a lot of DIY work!

I'm probably going to take a deep dive into Dante audio network first. I want to see if that leads to a solution for connecting a number of Roland products (keyboards and drum machines) in aggregate device where none of them have word clock I/O.

For now we have XLD and ffmpeg in MacOS.
Missing abilities that would be nice:
Bluray chapter to cue file script.
SACD whole disc at once output. (Avoid the clicks and segue corruption and split it after via cue.)

I'm still happy to offer any help as much as I can be useful!
Linux is Unix just like MacOS, FYI. You'll have both versions come together at the same time. Linux command line looks just like Mac.

I want to build a new computer too just because I miss upgrading. I have to find a way to max out the current one first and I still haven't been able to! Video work and the kind of editing that actually required NVME SSDs would probably do it. Not my gig.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't unsee "RIP Bluray"! :D
Hmmm, my bluray drive is 12 years old now. Foreshadowing?

I just bought parts for a new ‘super’ PC build (20 core cpu, 4 x NVME SDDs) so I have no excuse not to re-start the MacOS project (and that would allow a Linux version too), although it will be hundreds of hours of work to replicate the GUI for cross-platform no doubt!
All that would be great but I do have one concern.
I'd hate to see you end up getting all burned out trying to make MMH work on all these platforms.
I'd much rather have to boot into Doz on the occasion I need MMH than to not have it at all.
I've seen this happen all too often when working with the dev teams of Linux apps & distros.
Funny thing about open source, it all goes great until its not fun anymore, and then it dies. :(
Cheers Gary.

Maybe running Linux and then virtual machines for anything else needed is how this is supposed to play out? I'm not looking to get burnt out with science projects either unless there's going to be some bang for the buck. So I just keep using MacOS. Apple haven't broken that yet but it really does feel right around the corner.

Mac Pro going on 15 years now! Just a few upgrades and hard drive shuffles. Still runs the latest OS if I want. I think I hit them right at the sweet spot! Looks like a terrible decision to buy into nowadays.

Thanks. You are correct, I've seen that happen in pro dev teams too.

I was feeling burnt out earlier this year but after taking 6 month break I'm feeling refreshed.

I have a Mac Mini here and a spare PC to run Linux, although Windows 11 supports a Linux subsystem which will support my testing:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...x-windows-subsystem-in-windows-11/m-p/2701207
Ah, the unimagined tools in "Windoze". Windows, like it or not, is still the most versatile OS. I'm still running 20 year old programs on Win11.
e.g. I can still author a DVDA disc. Little out of practice on SACD, but I could manage.
Bless all you Mac and Linux fans, but I can still run more legacy programs (important to me at least) than you.

I can boot into a Snow Leopard install from circa 2008 on my laptop. So I can only go back to about 20 year old software here. That would be where my DVDA authoring software still lives too. Booting OS's spanning 15 years isn't too shabby. Sounds like things are more similar than I thought though!

The digital blank channels appear to be fully compatible for my purposes. I just ran the DR meter and the result was the same with six channels and with four channels. MMH Rocks!
Something occurred to me last night. If there’s a silent .1 channel, would that signal to the decoder that there should be no bass management? The existence of that channel would seem to indicate that the LFE had already been taken care of in the mix, and that there shouldn’t be any need for further processing, which would mean that the main channels could be stressed by low bass.

My guess is that it would depend on the processor, so different gear would have different parameters, but it’s the kind of nerdy question that happens in my head sometimes.

The existence of that channel would seem to indicate that the LFE had already been taken care of in the mix, and that there shouldn’t be any need for further processing, which would mean that the main channels could be stressed by low bass.
Stressed how? AFAIK bass management will roll off bass if the filter is set for small speakers in the front (regardless of lfe channel). Large speakers should be able to handle all of the bass. The lfe channel should not matter.

I'm no expert on bass management. Personally I want full bass mixed into all my surround speakers, not just the front. AFAIK with most music there is very little in the lfe channel to begin with. It was designed more for movie sound effects.

Something occurred to me last night. If there’s a silent .1 channel, would that signal to the decoder that there should be no bass management? The existence of that channel would seem to indicate that the LFE had already been taken care of in the mix, and that there shouldn’t be any need for further processing, which would mean that the main channels could be stressed by low bass.

My guess is that it would depend on the processor, so different gear would have different parameters, but it’s the kind of nerdy question that happens in my head sometimes.
Yeah. Well I guess most modern AVR's have bass management, so if one does not actually have a sub most will revert to "large" front speakers and redirect there.
Then usually there are settings of course for crossover, etc.

But I reckon you are talking about people that actually have a sub and the AVR is set up that way. So yes, just like e.g. in traditional Quad there is no Lfe channel so whatever exists will come from the 4 speakers "true" to the mix.

Personally I did not use a sub for years, as my 4 corner speakers are pretty good down to about 40 Hz. Now I do use a sub and see an improvement in mixes with the .1 or Lfe channel.

Stressed how? AFAIK bass management will roll off bass if the filter is set for small speakers in the front (regardless of lfe channel). Large speakers should be able to handle all of the bass. The lfe channel should not matter.

I'm no expert on bass management. Personally I want full bass mixed into all my surround speakers, not just the front. AFAIK with most music there is very little in the lfe channel to begin with. It was designed more for movie sound effects.
I've mixed both ways, with/without the Lfe channel, and what you get without it is dependent on what your speakers can handle as you say, and the mix itself.

On the mixing board, placing a low frequency mix element in one of the mains channels vs the Lfe channel sounds literally the same. If it didn't it would indicate a calibration problem.

On a listener's speaker managed system, you remove the low frequency content (below a cross over eq point) and add it to the Lfe channel. The Lfe now takes over for the bottom end of all the mains in addition to the dedicated Lfe channel content from the mix.

If you dialed in your system well it will be transparent. The mixer's choice of speaker for a low frequency element will not change how the mix is heard. If you have a 1:1 listening system, you have full range mains (by definition). A mix sans Lfe channel content can still have bionic bass.

So there are two schools of Lfe use in mixing and mistakes are made sometimes. Lots of other mix mistakes are made too. Heck, we've seen mastering faux pas with whole channels polarity reversed! Wrong speeds back in the tape era. Then there's stuff like volume war mastering. Way more altering of a mix than Lfe troubles! You can dial a speaker managed system in by the book and any proper mix works exactly as intended. The messed up ones with mistakes need proper correction either way. Don't set your speaker management weird because you heard a mix or mastering mistake one day!

Well, it’s all an AFAIK situation. Seems to me (which is NEVER a decent reason for persuasion) that the existence of an LFE channel would mean the bass management was already done by the author, so no bass management is necessary. But I don’t know, so I’m putting out the question. Yeah, nerd question, but I’ve always been the class nerd.

Back