How are you ripping your ATMOS Blu Rays?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately no. For the few albums that require gapless (Abbey Road, DSOTM), I add the full .mkv to JRiver. Unfortunately this is considered VIDEO, and I haven't been able to properly integrate it into my library with proper tags. I also haven't gotten a .cue file to play nicely and give me chapter access.
If you convert it to MKA. Is it still considered video in JRivver?

This worked
I highly recommend Garry's (Homer's) method. I spent weeks figuring this out and Garry was kind enough to help me every step of the way. It was even more confusing because I'm on a Mac, but Parallels software was my salvation, as now I can use MMH. As I am also using JRiver, here's my fairly straightforward method:

- Copy/Decrypt the entire disc using MakeMKV
- Open decrypted folder in MakeMKV, deselect every section but the one containing the TrueHD stream. Within that one section, deselect everything (video, DD, etc) but the TrueHD stream. Hit "Make MKV".
- Put the resulting .mkv file in a folder named for the album (however your files are organized in your library). Download cover art for the album in jpg format. Add this to the same folder, and change the name of the jpg to wither "cover.jpg" or "folder.jpg".
- In MMH select "Extract Audio from MKV" and select the .mkv folder. It will break it up into individual .mka files. Select "Get Tags from MusicBrainz" to tag these files. Select "Copy Tags". Under "Album Art", hit the top button "Find Art" and select the jpg. Hit "Tag and Rename".
- Toss the big .mkv file. Add the folder containing all the .mka's and sidecar files to JRiver.

Voila! You've now got full lossless Atmos files added to your library. I play these over DLNA by sending them from JRiver to my Oppo 205, which sends the signal to my Pre/Pro via Bitstream so the Pre/Pro is doing the decoding. I can't tell you the satisfaction I get every time I see the Pre/Pro display ATMOS when I play one of these files.

Hope this helps and good luck!
This worked perfectly except for the tagging, which is a little buggy, but good enough. For any J-River users who read this thread in the future, please note you need at least JRiver Version 32 to bitstream ATMOS tracks.

Dolby Reference Player is the only software on the planet that can play Atmos files. "Ripping" from it is a real time transfer. That Inviska app looks like someone's home brew work. At the time, mkvtoolnix didn't seem to be able to do this though.
Not exactly sure what you're saying here, but I rip to .iso and can play Atmos with PowerDVD and VLC.

This worked

This worked perfectly except for the tagging, which is a little buggy, but good enough. For any J-River users who read this thread in the future, please note you need at least JRiver Version 32 to bitstream ATMOS tracks.
Interesting, I’m still on version 30, but Mac doesn’t support bitstreaming (as far as I know), which is why I use DLNA. I wonder if I would have a better result by upgrading.

Unfortunately no. For the few albums that require gapless (Abbey Road, DSOTM), I add the full .mkv to JRiver. Unfortunately this is considered VIDEO, and I haven't been able to properly integrate it into my library with proper tags. I also haven't gotten a .cue file to play nicely and give me chapter access.
I consider myself an expert at Atmos playback via JRiver. I will take you through it with screen shots. Couldn't be more simpler providing you have JRiver in your PC>HDMI Out to your Dolby Atmos enabled AVR and speakers.
First set up a Zone, I call mine Atmos.
Atmos Zone.JPG

Then set your Bitstreaming to HDMI.
Bitstreaming.JPG

Then your DSP output as shown.
DSP Output.JPG

Now ready for playback PC with JRiver>HDMI out to AVR. Notice I have split Abbey Road using MMH with JRiver sidecar for tagging into chapters, but Abbey Road is gapless, so notice I have the MKV root file to play the entire album gapless, but if I want to go right to a track to show a friend, I can do that also.
Beatles.JPG

I consider myself an expert at Atmos playback via JRiver. I will take you through it with screen shots. Couldn't be more simpler providing you have JRiver in your PC>HDMI Out to your Dolby Atmos enabled AVR and speakers.
First set up a Zone, I call mine Atmos.
View attachment 104201
Then set your Bitstreaming to HDMI.
View attachment 104202
Then your DSP output as shown.
View attachment 104203
Now ready for playback PC with JRiver>HDMI out to AVR. Notice I have split Abbey Road using MMH with JRiver sidecar for tagging into chapters, but Abbey Road is gapless, so notice I have the MKV root file to play the entire album gapless, but if I want to go right to a track to show a friend, I can do that also.
View attachment 104204
Thanks for this, but I don't believe Macs can bistream via HDMI, hence the need to go through DLNA to the Oppo 205.

As to your second method, I assume this creates one, album length file, which would prevent you from finding individual tracks?

Using a CUE allows a user to play any song.

In Kodi the CUE contents (tracks) gets read into Kodi’s music library (database) so a user sees each song not the big mka/MKV file. You would see the album and its individual songs (not the cue or the mka/MKV file).

I'm curious as to what everyone here prefers to use to rip their ATMOS blu-rays via PC? I recently ripped my Air/Moon Safari Blu Ray using MakeMKV and then Music Media Helper (to convert to FLAC) and it did not turn out well when playing through JRiver. Some of the overhead Atmos tracks did not translate properly. JRiver detects 8 channels but is not outputting some of the rear/overhead tracks properly.

I own DVD Audio Extractor, but that does not appear to work with the copy protection on the newer blu rays.

If anyone has an all-in-one solution, please let me know, but I'll settle for something that simply works properly. TIA!
I use MKV to make a backup (MKV removes the copy protection) and the backup i feed into DVD audio extractor.
From there i can rip into non-recoded files or flac.

I just simply use Leawo Blu-ray Copy to back-up the Full Movie to a hard drive. That includes the video and menus. I usually play it back with JRiver, but PowerDVD can also be used.
I use DVD Audio Extractor for the stereo files.

Would they both be lossless to the original mkv?
I keep all my Atmos BD's ripped to mkv's
Using the menus in MakeMKV I can exclude a lot of unnecessary mixes and end up very with reduced file sizes.
Good question, m4a is lossy 16 bit, MKA is 24bit lossless.
I think you and I are same, MKV is best, but as Will @MrSmithers said using MKA 24bit for MKV files that either have no menu video (black) or just a static picture, no track name etc, than the MKA would be a better choice as the non functioning video still takes up, wastes, real estate in the NAS.

.m4a also supports the ALAC codec (Apple's version of FLAC) and can host lossless 24 bit audio. You have to look. I haven't tried it with 12 or 16 channel files. Maybe I should.

Would they both be lossless to the original mkv?
I keep all my Atmos BD's ripped to mkv's
Using the menus in MakeMKV I can exclude a lot of unnecessary mixes and end up very with reduced file sizes.
My understanding is they are both lossless. I know MKA is for sure as it is simply an MKV file with the video.revoved.. M4a is supposed to be a container file which plays what is inside it. You need to use MKVToolnix to remove video from MKV.

Am having problems getting my BD rips to play back as Atmos and I am hoping a kind soul can help me.

- I rip the file to MKV using make MKV
- I then use MMH to create an MKA split file as per the instructions (thanks Garry/Homer)
- resulting files are then copied to a usb stick and inserted into the front of my Oppo 103 which is connected to my Arcam AVR31 via HDMI.

Files playback as 7.1 (i.e. no Atmos notification on the front of the Arcam). If I play the original disc from the Oppo - no problem - Atmos displays on the Arcam. Have tried MKV files and the same thing happens.

I must be doing something wrong, but is anyone able to point me in the right direction please?

Back