King Crimson in 5.1?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can shed light here. He and I were to attend the show in question and were quite upset. I even called Fripp a f*cker. I still wish he would have kept the band together just another week ;-)
ge

Sorry, this still doesn't add up.

Last tour date NYC - 07/01/74
Fripp returns to UK - 07/04/74
Recording begins for Red - 07/08/74
Band breakup announced 9/28/74

a) They certainly wouldn't book dates after 9/28
b) Why book dates when the last tour only ended 60 days ago?

Normally I'd just blow this off but you've accused the band (Fripp) of something that seems damn near impossible and highly unlikely.

Good drugs or bad memories? It's time to offer corrections or recant. :smokin

Sorry, this still doesn't add up.

Good drugs or bad memories? It's time to offer corrections or recant. :smokin

Bad memory for actual dates perhaps. Looked up tour dates for 1974, last one July 1 in NYC as you mention. We must have had tickets for a show originally scheduled a little later that summer, unfortunately after the implosion. I guess they cut the tour short. If that's what happened it was probably reported in Melody Maker ... I don't think I have even a single one of those left. Too bad, it would be an interesting read after all the years. We still got screwed out of seeing a great band in a great venue.

red came out late that year (1974), I think I picked it up Jan 1975. Never warmed to it like the rest of the early catalog. It has some brilliant moments. Maybe time to revisit it. I have it on Island UK import LP.

I first saw Crimson in '73 at Howard Stein's Academy of Music in NYC - this was during the Lark's Tongue tour. After the opening act - JF Murphy and Salt - featuring electric bagpipes :eek:, KC was delayed for over 2 hours after their PA system blew up. Most of the crowd stayed however, and were rewarded with a transcendant performance - Bruford was smokin hot!

As Stephen Colbert is wont to say "I accept your apology".

Seeing ELP and especially King Crimson in 1974 caused me to take up the bass so perhaps it's easier for me to remember. Also helps to keep every ticketstub, read every KC band history and of course have better drugs at all times. :smokin:

Last edited:
I first saw Crimson in '73 at Howard Stein's Academy of Music in NYC - this was during the Lark's Tongue tour. After the opening act - JF Murphy and Salt - featuring electric bagpipes :eek:, KC was delayed for over 2 hours after their PA system blew up. Most of the crowd stayed however, and were rewarded with a transcendant performance - Bruford was smokin hot!

Wagstaff and I did get to see Bruford play in the winter of 1975-1976. Bruford was with the band National Health and they played at Polytechnic in Notts. Still have the promotional poster. Admission 75p or about $1.50 at the exchange rate of the time. Bruford was masterful and played with incredible restraint fitting to the music. We really hoped for a Crimson-esque number and experience at least half of "the flying brick wall" in action, but it was not to be.

Wow, Bruford with National Health, that was a very short stint. The 2 CD National Health compilation includes less than 4 minutes of him as I recall!

Be sure and read Bruford's 'confession' in the Genesis Chapter And Verse book; he candidly admits he threw them for a loop quite often durin that single 1976 tour. He came to realize over time that it was a mistake to not do as requested and support the music in a predictable way. That's not a job for Bill after all, we always expect to be surprised?

This was posted at Steven Wilson's site (http://www.swhq.co.uk/index.cfm):

King Crimson's label DGM have announced that they will start to release Steven's 5.1 surround sound mixes of the King Crimson back catalogue in June, with "Lizard" and "Red", followed by a special 40th anniversary edition of "In the Court of the Crimson King" in October. Where appropriate new stereo mixes and out-takes / alternates have also been mixed, although we don't know yet if DGM will approve these for release as part of the new editions.

Wow, Bruford with National Health, that was a very short stint. The 2 CD National Health compilation includes less than 4 minutes of him as I recall!

The 'Missing Pieces' CD released after that, has complete tracks with BB on them.

Be sure and read Bruford's 'confession' in the Genesis Chapter And Verse book; he candidly admits he threw them for a loop quite often durin that single 1976 tour. He came to realize over time that it was a mistake to not do as requested and support the music in a predictable way. That's not a job for Bill after all, we always expect to be surprised?
Be sure also to read BB's new autobiography...more repentance on the Genesis episode, and several interesting vignettes from the KC eras.

I give up, what's the answer??
:)

Not to get into any debates but I have always preferred the sound of DVD-A to SACD, vocals and midrange seems smoother and creamier.

To get into a debate, AFAIK, there is no way for the average listener to determine this, and it certainly has not been demonstrated in any formally published way. For starters you'd have to be absolutely sure that both the mastering and playback chains were equivalent. (One could, I guess, redigitize the output of the SACD as DVD-A, using Chrome or somesuch..and then compare then double-blind)

I would like to avoid the cluster-fck that the Genesis set seems to have become between the formats. I can just hope that it will be in hi rez DVD-A or SACD and not a DTS surround thing.
And as I often do upon seeing such sentiments, I would wager that you would not be able to tell the difference between high-quality DTS transfer, and the other two formats, in a fair blind test. So from my POV, it's not something to worry about (indeed, you may actually get more correct bass management with DTS than with DVD-A or SACD, depending on your system)

People seem to have a bias against lossy formats because they are lossy. What they don't take into account is that DTS, Dolby Digital, mp3 ets are perceptual encodes, based on sound psychoacoustic principles -- not just simple indiscriminate data-reductions.

A BB book? I'm on it! Thanks for the tip.

Also thanks on the Missing Pieces CD link. Paracelsus was on the Compilation set not sure about the rest or which ones he's on but I'm sure it's all interesting as I'm a Dave Stewart & Stewart/Gaskin fan as well...

A BB book? I'm on it! Thanks for the tip.

Also thanks on the Missing Pieces CD link. Paracelsus was on the Compilation set not sure about the rest or which ones he's on but I'm sure it's all interesting as I'm a Dave Stewart & Stewart/Gaskin fan as well...

Only a fragment of Paracelsus was on 'Complete' -- the whole track is on 'Missing Pieces'.

Another little tease from Fripp's diary

In The Court Of The Crimson King was recorded on an 8-track machine. So, to build up the multi-tracking of mellotrons, basic tracks were sub-mixed to a stereo pair; eg drums, bass, piano & acoustic guitar were mixed to 2 tracks. By the final mix, the sub-mix was not optimal; and the quality had down-graded.

Steven was able to access the original tracks prior to sub-mixing, with significant improvement in quality not available even on the first generation master-mix discovered fairly recently. However, these original tracks don’t quite run in sync, so Steven had to cut them into parcels.

I heard parts that I have never heard as clearly, not even in Wessex Studios during the 1969 recording.

Fripp certainly picked the right man for the job. Not only has SW got the talent and know how, but he's obviously working with music that he loves too.

My credit card is loaded and waiting!

Back