Guns N‘ Roses - Appetite For Destruction Locked N’ Loaded Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am one of those crazy idiots that pulled the trigger on the massive super uber deluxe edition........i just received it today at the office and put it in the trunk of my dvd audio player with wheels (acura Rdx)......i will later post pictures of the box and the unwrapping of the box (not sure of unboxing).......but i can tell you that this is the biggest box i have received ever......im afraid i will not have space in the cave to display it.......its megahuge.....my wife is going to beat me.....theres no way i can hide this purchase to her......😟😟😟

You are killing me...I can barely type:ROFLMAO:...before she beats you... at least listen to the blu ray prior to your anticipated assaulto_O

so is there a difference between the DTS-MA and the Dolby TrueHD ?...

There is a thing called 'Dialnorm' short for dialog normalization. It was originally used for tv broadcasts to try to stop the commercials from being massively louder than the show you were watching, but for some unknown reason it was adopted and uselessly used in movie and music production. Dolby TrueHD much, much more often has this applied for whatever reason, but it is still possible, although rare, that DTS-HD MA can have it too.

Dialnorm actually doesn't make the center channel any louder or quieter compared to all of the other channels. It just checks the overall level of the center channel and then raises all channels equally in order for the center channel to achieve this 'desired' level.

The most common setting that I've seen is a dialnorm level of -4dB, which means there are flags in the audio telling your equipment to increase every channel by +4dB, so therefore if you have a DTS-HD MA track without any dialnorm applied, compared to a TrueHD track with a dialnorm of -4dB, then the TrueHD track will be played back 4dB hotter than the DTS-HD MA track. It's like it's saying that the center channel audio is 4dB too quiet overall, so it compensates for that by adding 4dB to all channels.

Audiomuxer just recently added an automatic dialnorm stripper if you process any audio files with that program. If you use that program to rip say a 5.1 DTS-HD MA track with no dialnorm applied to say Wav, or Flac files, and then do the same thing with a 5.1 TrueHD track from the same recording with the dialnorm present, then after the stripping, they should both sound completely identical.

Although it shouldn't really matter, I always choose the one without it, usually the DTS-MA or the quieter one, when ripping something to Flacs if there are multiple options. If there is an LPCM option, I always use that one, as DTS-MA and TrueHD are just losslessly compressed containers for the original LPCM audio.

P.S. - I realise this is off topic, but as this is not a poll thread, I thought it would be okay. :)

Edit: Here's where I found out about this years ago and explained much better: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=121087

Last edited:
I am one of those crazy idiots that pulled the trigger on the massive super uber deluxe edition........i just received it today at the office and put it in the trunk of my dvd audio player with wheels (acura Rdx)......i will later post pictures of the box and the unwrapping of the box (not sure of unboxing).......but i can tell you that this is the biggest box i have received ever......im afraid i will not have space in the cave to display it.......its megahuge.....my wife is going to beat me.....theres no way i can hide this purchase from her......😟😟😟

Aweeeeeeeeeeesome Depeche Wow Nice - You are Snood's Hero :rocks

I am one of those crazy idiots that pulled the trigger on the massive super uber deluxe edition........i just received it today at the office and put it in the trunk of my dvd audio player with wheels (acura Rdx)......i will later post pictures of the box and the unwrapping of the box (not sure of unboxing).......but i can tell you that this is the biggest box i have received ever......im afraid i will not have space in the cave to display it.......its megahuge.....my wife is going to beat me.....theres no way i can hide this purchase from her......😟😟😟

Hope you enjoy it [No, not the wife beating].:ROFLMAO:OUCH!

I can only imagine what the UBER box set will look like if G n' R releases the double disc BD~A/V set of Use Your Illusion I & 2. Maybe it'll come in an armoire.:unsure:

And IF the wife balks, as compensation, you can always buy her an Alaska King Sized Bed: https://www.selectabed.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/ultrabed-woman.jpg

Last edited:
Many of the main guitar riffs are buried. That is a fact. Not my opinion. Listen to the main riff on WTTJ or fast part on Paradise City.
They are buried compared to original stereo mix.
For incredulous people, the most reliable facts are generally established by evidence and consensus. So far, buried guitars seem to be "your truth."

Listen to the original CD first. It is very obvious.
When I'm back home around the holidays I'll weigh in on this, for sure. In the meantime you keep insisting on an outlying view. Maybe wait for another member to corroborate?
If I had a dollar for every time a new member claimed they were the only person hearing something "wrong" with a mix, only to find out a little later that their system configuration was screwed up, I could upgrade me mums amp to Auro-3D for free. I have a hard time believing Elliot Scheiner buried important guitar parts. If you're right, cool. Odds are you're not.

Many of the main guitar riffs are buried. That is a fact. Not my opinion. Listen to the main riff on WTTJ or fast part on Paradise City.
They are buried compared to original stereo mix.

For every release...there are different "observations"...and what is a "fact" on your system...in your listening environment...to your ears isn't going to be the same as thousands of other individuals with different equipment...different room acoustics and different hearing....that's a fact that can't be disputed...

When I'm back home around the holidays I'll weigh in on this, for sure. In the meantime you keep insisting on an outlying view. Maybe wait for another member to corroborate?
If I had a dollar for every time a new member claimed they were the only person hearing something "wrong" with a mix, only to find out a little later that their system configuration was screwed up, I could upgrade me mums amp to Auro-3D for free. I have a hard time believing Elliot Scheiner buried important guitar parts. If you're right, cool. Odds are you're not.

So you reversed field and decided to get this set?

Maybe wait for another member to corroborate?
If I had a dollar for every time a new member claimed they were the only person hearing something "wrong" with a mix, only to find out a little later that their system configuration was screwed up...
Yep, I was gonna say the same thing. Every so often there is that one guy who's opinion goes against the grain of everyone else, sometimes hundreds of others. He is convinced of what he is hearing, and he is right. Only to find out some time later that something was amiss with his system.

Yep, I was gonna say the same thing. Every so often there is that one guy who's opinion goes against the grain of everyone else, sometimes hundreds of others. He is convinced of what he is hearing, and he is right. Only to find out some time later that something was amiss with his system.

POST 41

Now that I was able to regain my composure( I was laughing too hard yesterday)...I would LOVE to know how the CDs sound on the USB stick....that USB method really interests me(y)

I got weak... This looks nice in my listening room, doesn't it? I just listened so far to the album in 5.1 DTS HD - a f*n 10! What's not to like about it? :)

IMG_20180713_160533.jpg

So whats up with the fascination for the USB tunes, Clint? I know its cool and all, but are you gonna pony up for the L&L box if the USB is done well? Or are you gonna try to buy the USB part alone?

Well...the G&R box set really isn't the target...I purchased the box set to get the blu ray and of course it came with the CDs...so if I play them I will know what the standard CD sounds like...but I want to know if the 24/96 version of the CD material is better considering the mastering of the standard CDs are in the 8 &9 DNR range according to the figures I have seen...and when I said that the G&R set wasn't my target...the 2015 Grateful Dead set with that USB is the target...I have an opportunity from an individual that has one to sell ...THIS IS A LOT OF music.. if there is a noticeable improvement over the standard CD....I'd be interested..these shows won't be offered again on CD form and it has one show every year from 1966-95...

Back