• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells now available as a 5.1 FLAC download

dobyblue

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Not yet but it's on my list of things to do soon. According to a few posters on Tubular.net it's noticeably better than the 448 Kbps Dolby version...which is what those of us expected who were decrying the lack of lossless here three years ago.

watsontr

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Not yet but it's on my list of things to do soon. According to a few posters on Tubular.net it's noticeably better than the 448 Kbps Dolby version...which is what those of us expected who were decrying the lack of lossless here three years ago.
On Tubular.net, do they mention if anyone from Australia has been able to buy this and download? I'd be quite willing to buy this but it seems they do not wish to sell to me

neil wilkes

Reaction score
Is this 24/48 5.1 PCM when extracted? Anyone bought it yet? Even if you put in a UK addy as the shipping, it balks on the billing address and if you put one that doesn't exist you'll get declined. I may ask a UK friend to buy it and send me the download link and I'll Paypal them the money.

The 2009 5.1 mixes are excellent, but 448 Kbps Dolby Digital is pretty pshaw. Wish Mike would put these out as Blu-ray Audio discs, and do all of Incantations. I'll buy just about every studio album if he did it as 24/96 5.1 dts-ma BD-A discs.

EDIT:
If we estimate .flac as being 62% of the original then it's going to uncompress to around 2.42GB.

TB = 48 minutes. 24/96 5.1 @ 48 minutes = @ 4.86GB.
24/48 5.1 @ 48 minutes = @ 2.42GB.

I'm guessing that this is 24/48 5.1. Shame it's not 24/96, but still sweet to get the opportunity to upgrade to uncompressed lossless for the excellent 2009 TB surround mix! Hope we get the rest of them in due course.
I've just had exactly the same problem. UK address (My own one), payment rejected on all cards.
I tried to buy the bundle for £20, so that is now one lost sale. Shame.

EDIT.
Weird.
It just seemed to go through when I tried again.
Maybe there was a fault??

neil wilkes

Reaction score
Well, I got it all downloaded - and it sounds much, much better than the DVD by a long, long way.
Very dynamic, no compression used that is obvious either.
Screenshot below is the FLAC files in Nuendo, as supplied - Part 1, Part 2, the Single & the pissed Viv Stanshall bit (may he rest in peace)

Bells.PNG

tomwrock

Reaction score
If I were to buy this download how would I burn it to disc? Should I burn it to DVD? Would it burn to blu-ray and if so would there be any improvement over dvd? Would Imageburn work? I know I must seem a bit thick, maybe the cancer or just getting older.

Thanks.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
If I were to buy this download how would I burn it to disc? Should I burn it to DVD? Would it burn to blu-ray and if so would there be any improvement over dvd? Would Imageburn work? I know I must seem a bit thick, maybe the cancer or just getting older.

Thanks.
Yes, Imageburn would work. Nero Burning Rom. Don't know about Bluray options.

JediJoker

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Necrobump: anywhere to purchase this now that it's no longer available at B&W? I'm interested in both the stereo and the surround.

rtbluray

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Necrobump: anywhere to purchase this now that it's no longer available at B&W? I'm interested in both the stereo and the surround.
AFAIK, the FLAC downloads are no longer available to purchase anywhere. The B&W site was the only place to purchase the downloads, but there might be a QQ member that could come along and help you acquire at least the 5.1 surround FLAC… ;)

JediJoker

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score

rtbluray

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had been planning on it until I found out that there was an uncompressed version available. Emphasis on "was..."
Trust me, the Dolby DVD is not worth buying. The only way to really hear this particular surround sound mix of "Tubular Bells" is through the lossless FLAC files.

colsky

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
Trust me, the Dolby DVD is not worth buying. The only way to really hear this particular surround sound mix of "Tubular Bells" is through the lossless FLAC files.
I would say that the lossless FLAC files would be the best way to hear this, not the only way. The Dolby DVD imho is worth buying, if that's the only surround mix that you can find to buy. It still sounds better than listening to the stereo cd!