Moody Blues - In Search Of The Lost Chord (50th Anniversary set with 5.1 "manipulation" by Jakko Jakszyk).

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only just delved into their core 7 albums as of late, and Chord is definitely one of the big ones for me at this present moment. Definitely picking this one up. And I do believe that Ray had become my favourite member of the band too. RIP.

His fancy footwork on Ride My See-Saw. Such a catchy song! And the vocal harmonies among Mike, Ray, John and Justin has to be among the finest in a band. And let's not forget Graeme Edge who always appeared to be having a good time behind the kit. :)

I am curious as to who created the new stereo mix. I would love to assume it was Steven Wilson, as Justin Hayward was in attendance at this year's Progressive Music Awards ceremony, but again that's wishful thinking for now... ;)

Last edited:
Definitely my favorite MB album!
In Search Of The Lost Multitracks? Curious what the story is on finding the multitracks. These were apparently declared lost when the quad remixes were done? Or will this just be an "upmix"? I'll need to hear this one before buying.

If that BBC broadcast is the one I remember seeing, it was the band miming to the pre-recorded album tracks except with Mike's and Ray's vocals omitted and them singing live. Everything else including Justin's and John's vocals were the studio recording. Definitely interesting to watch once though.

Any Amazon USA link yet? :unsure:

I'm sticking with my AmazonUK pre~order for now [$51.77 delivered price] until either Deep Discount or ImportCDs better this price. I have SO many pre~orders my head is spinning and that doesn't even include the White Album or the upcoming Be~Bop deluxe 5.1 remaster of Sunburst Finish!

I really need to hire a personal assistant who by the time this cornucopia of 5.1 releases subsides in 2018 may need a personal assistant him/her self!

BTW, how are things in Snoodville?

I'm sticking with my AmazonUK pre~order for now [$51.77 delivered price] until either Deep Discount or ImportCDs better this price. I have SO many pre~orders my head is spinning and that doesn't even include the White Album or the upcoming Be~Bop deluxe 5.1 remaster of Sunburst Finish!

Damn, for the second time today I'll ask -- where's the link??? Has it disappeared again for us late-comers?

I hope that Ride My See Saw gets the same treatment in going from the original stereo to the 5.1 as we got with Lovely to See You. Both songs in the original stereo sound a bit like the Moodies are playing across the valley on another mountain top. However, Lovely to See You in quad sounds like they are right in the room. (Almost 10 pm here...time to go out clubin'. ;))

Way back in time, I think in the 1980s, Derek Varnals (their engineer) said the reason that "Chord" wasn't released in quad was because some of the effects in the stereo mixes were done "live" while mixing the masters, and they decided not to try a quad mix at the time the others were made. It's unlikely the session tapes were ever lost, but some of the sound effect sources may have been.

Way back in time, I think in the 1980s, Derek Varnals (their engineer) said the reason that "Chord" wasn't released in quad was because some of the effects in the stereo mixes were done "live" while mixing the masters, and they decided not to try a quad mix at the time the others were made. It's unlikely the session tapes were ever lost, but some of the sound effect sources may have been.

Interesting info, thanks for that. I guess with today's tech they feel they can better replicate the effects for new stereo and 5.1 mixes.

Interesting that they would only do the effects in this "live" manner on only Chord and not the others though...

Aha, that makes sense. Just like some mono mixes from the '60s that had elements recorded during the actual final mix and thus said elements do not exist on the multitrack.

Aha, that makes sense. Just like some mono mixes from the '60s that had elements recorded during the actual final mix and thus said elements do not exist on the multitrack.

Wonder if they'll be able to extract those added sounds/effects utilizing digital editing. They must be somewhere on the existing multitracks! You just know Moody Purists will balk if they're NOT included!

Last edited:
A British friend sent me this, not sure of the source:

"In 1972, when 6 of the group’s 7 “Classic” albums were mixed for Quadraphonic Reel to Reel & 8-track cartridge release, this album wasn’t amongst them. Engineer Derek Varnals would explain, that for this album, recorded on 4-track, that after the various “bounce downs”(reduction mixes), what remained was a 4-track tape with 2 tracks of vocals and 2 tracks of instruments, and this was not considered sufficient to create a quadraphonic mix. apparently, they must have found 4-track tapes from earlier recording stages and synchronized them to make a 5.1 mix possible (something that would have been highly difficult in 1972, when the group’s quadraphonic mixes were created)."

Back