Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really odd. I mean, an SACD that is bricked? I honestly don't know if I own a single SACD that is bricked.
Well there are regular SACDs which have been brickwalled over the years but not SHM~SACDs...at least in my memory, Gene! Someone was asleep at the wheel when they approved this utter atrocity. Norah deserves better ...and so do WE!

Yah, same here, was contemplating including this on a CD Japan order.
Probably just as well, her music often puts me to sleep
I feel like contacting CDJapan ....but then I have to go through the process oif returning it to them .... not worth it. Norah's new album from what I heard of it is upbeat .......

One can only hope UMG Japan is aware of the poor pressing and will repress it ... and send me a replacement copy, GRATIS through CDJapan .....LOL!

Well there are regular SACDs which have been brickwalled over the years but not SHM~SACDs...at least in my memory, Gene! Someone was asleep at the wheel when they approved this utter atrocity. Norah deserves better ...and so do WE!
I just bought the HDTracks FLAC 24bit/96Khz this morning, I am sure it is the same, but hope is there. I have not listened to it yet, will report back.

BCD73220-24ED-4CD5-9037-3088FC7716BE.jpeg

Keane - Hopes and Fears

Playing this now to refamiliarize myself with the album and decide if I need/want the upcoming SDE Bluray. My initial reaction when I first heard this way back was: boring samey music, iffy sonics in 2 channel. Never played it again until now.
Music is a bit better than I remembered, at least half the songs are OK.
Still dislike the swishy/splashy sound.
If someone can convince me there will be a noticeable improvement in SQ I might bite, otherwise……..

I just bought the HDTracks FLAC 24bit/96Khz this morning, I am sure it is the same, but hope is there. I have not listened to it yet, will report back.
Listening now to the Norah Jones HDTracks download 24bit/96Khz.
DR's are mostly 6's and 7's, Visions Track 5 is DR 11.
Track 2 Staring At The Wall sounds really bad, but I think it has more to do with an underlying very distorted guitar?

Here are two screen shots with waveform of Track 2 and Track 5.
View attachment 103911

View attachment 103912
As I've said to all, Visions [Stereo SHM~SACD] is brickwalled to death and although Track 5 VISIONS with a DR of 11 is the ONLY decent sounding track, how this atrocity slipped through the cracks is puzzling!

Normally as a Jazz lover Blue Note's releases are SUPERB...even the few Multi~CH SACDs they've released in the past!

Definitely needs a remastering and a REPRESS!

Thanks Markie for your DR score analysis!

C469BECC-5F82-4745-B18F-840C54F819EB.jpeg

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

I’ve never enjoyed this album, the 1997 Legacy CD remaster was strident to my ears.
Tried this SACD thinking it might allow me to appreciate the music more.
And it does !
Still has some edge, as it should, but overall much smoother. The gamble paid off.

View attachment 104122
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

I’ve never enjoyed this album, the 1997 Legacy CD remaster was strident to my ears.
Tried this SACD thinking it might allow me to appreciate the music more.
And it does !
Still has some edge, as it should, but overall much smoother. The gamble paid off.
Rang, I also quite like the Monster Music 96/24 LPCM Stereo remaster derived from Columbia Records original 3 channel Master Tapes

https://www.mixonline.com/news/mons...les-davis-sketches-spain-superdisc-dvd-421118

sketches_of_spain_monster_music_webjpg.jpg

Back