Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dire Straits - On Every Street (MFSL)
On Every Street.jpg

65A519DE-4CCB-4750-A550-E7BD2ED75023.jpeg

Henry Townsend - My Story

Recorded when he was almost 90 and you’d never know. Clean sound on this APO SACD though not as “audiophile” as I’d expect from a minimalist recording in Blue Heaven Studios.
The instrumentation is fine but sounds like he was singing into a ratty old LoFi mic. Maybe that was the idea.
Only slightly detracts from the music.

View attachment 102462
Cookin’ - Miles Davis

Great album. Sound is good though the cymbals/brushes sound kinda nasty in places on this AP SACD. Will compare it to my DCC gold one of these days.

**Edit: a quick stroll through the DCC tells me that though the soundstage appears a bit smaller, overall I prefer it to the SACD. Smoother/warmer and the still present rough edges are not so harsh
Thanks for the comparison! Looks like my acquisition priority for the Davis Quintet goes to DCC first. (Or maybe Original Jazz Classics; I generally like the sound of that series.)

Thanks for the comparison! Looks like my acquisition priority for the Davis Quintet goes to DCC first. (Or maybe Original Jazz Classics; I generally like the sound of that series.)
The SACD isn’t bad, more open for sure.
But from an emotional/gut level I immediately thought “I like this better” within seconds of starting the DCC.

How does the Train disc sound, not sure what those numbers mean.
Reviews I’ve read elsewhere say it’s muddy

Thanks for the question.
Those who say it sounds muddy, I am sure have a better, more intimate relationship with the recording than I do.
It sounds good, nice full sound and levels of bass, midrange and treble all good.
I don't have a CD to compare, and honestly there is no WOW factor in listening except that it sounds good.
Good phantom center and sound stage width.
DSD64 =Sample Rate
Bit Depth=is always 1 for any SACD, either Hybrid, SHM, etc.
DSF file=is what it turns into when ripped. A regular CD ripped would be FLAC.
DR #'s=The Dynamic Range of the tracks, not necessarily in order of tracks. Below 9 you start to get compressed (brickwalled) music. Heavy Metal and Hard Rock, usually 5's and 6's.

Is it worth it? I only like a handful of songs on this album (You and Your Friend, Planet of New Orleans, On Every Street, My Parties, Fade to Black) and it already sounds mighty fine as it is on a normal CD. And here in Europe it's quite expensive...
Looking at waveforms, the older CD issues I own display a fair amount of clipping, although nowhere near brick-walled. The MFSL has no clipping; Dynamic Range Meter shows DR13 and an average RMS value of roughly -16.5 dB. I prefer the sound of the MFSL.

I consider On Every Street to be the weakest Dire Straits album, but I still like it quiet a bit. I suppose the worth is dependent on your taste and how many coins you have and are willing to spend on a pricey MFSL release. I'm a huge Dire Straits fan and completist, so was worth it to me.

Clipping, or just intersample peaks over 0dBFS? Those may get recovered on playback.
I don't want to wade into the audiophile weeds or clutter up the "what you're listening to now" thread, so I'll post this one reply and I'm done :)

I'd like to be clear that I'm not putting down the Vertigo CD issue which I think sounds fine. I still prefer the MFSL, which seems smoother, especially when played at a fairly high volume.

Yes, it is ISP "clipping." True Peak Max on the MFSL CD layer is -1.2dB (Vertigo CD is 0.1dB); MFSL is Integrated -17.5 LUFS (Vertigo is -14.2 LUFS).

Here are a couple of "The Bug" waveforms for comparison. The first one is from the Vertigo CD and the one below it is the MFSL.

The Bug (Vertigo).png
The Bug (MFSL).png

I don't want to wade into the audiophile weeds or clutter up the "what you're listening to now" thread, so I'll post this one reply and I'm done :)

I'd like to be clear that I'm not putting down the Vertigo CD issue which I think sounds fine. I still prefer the MFSL, which seems smoother, especially when played at a fairly high volume.

Yes, it is ISP "clipping." True Peak Max on the MFSL CD layer is -1.2dB (Vertigo CD is 0.1dB); MFSL is Integrated -17.5 LUFS (Vertigo is -14.2 LUFS).

Here are a couple of "The Bug" waveforms for comparison. The first one is from the Vertigo CD and the one below it is the MFSL.

View attachment 103795View attachment 103796
That is a real cool graph. What is the app/software? Is it easy to use? Do they have a plug in that I can add to my JRiver player?

That is a real cool graph. What is the app/software? Is it easy to use? Do they have a plug in that I can add to my JRiver player?
Sorry, don't know about plug-ins. The desktop PC apps are nothing esoteric. I use AVS Audio Editor for looking at waveforms and YouLean Loudness Meter for LUFS and TPM stats. DR Meter in foobar2000 is helpful if you look at all the numbers, not just DR.

Back