Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another winner from @GOS sounding very good indeed through the ol' Surround Master!
Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 3.11.59 PM.png

https://www.discogs.com/release/10894076-Styx-Pieces-Of-Eight

50933395-AA6C-4D21-9F54-B64EAE2C0E30.jpeg

Grateful Dead - American Beauty

Better than Workingman’s Dead, IMHO, though I wish they’d use less harmony vocals.
I like the band and good as this album is, and not taking anything away from them, I must admit that as a whole I really don’t “get” why the Dead are so revered.

8936297C-C15B-4BA7-B5D3-10FE90B9D657.jpeg

Santana - Abraxas

Yes, this release is aimed at the quad listener but I played it in stereo hence I’m in this thread.
One of the great albums, ever.
Definitely a different sound presentation than I’m used to but it sounds excellent here.
My only comparisons are the original MFSL Gold CD (and I’ve heard the more recent MoFi SACD). The balance is better, I think, than the bass heavy gold CD.
Was sceptical of the 7” packaging but it’s nice, quality and detailed.

067B57FD-2B5E-4A16-9A3A-BF22C3596E1C.jpeg

Santana - Caravanserai

Beautiful album, I could play Song of the Wind forever.
Been thinking about the Japan version, and though I like the packaging, I don’t really care about the quad. Has anyone compared the two channel version on that set to this MoFi?

67B9D0AF-4CCD-4DF4-AB6F-AE0D34E399C7.jpeg

Cookin’ - Miles Davis

Great album. Sound is good though the cymbals/brushes sound kinda nasty in places on this AP SACD. Will compare it to my DCC gold one of these days.

**Edit: a quick stroll through the DCC tells me that though the soundstage appears a bit smaller, overall I prefer it to the SACD. Smoother/warmer and the still present rough edges are not so harsh

Last edited:
Back