Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge 50th Anniversary?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M-K

This somehow underrated fantastic album was released at 28th August 1974.

Wouldn't it be great to have another Atmos release like Tubular Bells last year? I enjoy the David Kosten mix.
So this would be another SDE Blu-Ray candidate for sure. It could contain:
  • Original stereo mix
  • New stereo mix
  • The old quad mix, discrete 4.0 and lossless
  • Oldfields 5.1 in uncrippled lossless format
  • New Atmos Mix, done by David Kosten as example?
There are some month left...

Don't forget: Ommadawn was released at 21. October 1975...

What do you think?

It certainly would be nice to have a definitive release of this title. It's the only one of the three that I don't have a copy that I'm totally satisfied with. My old vinyl copies have groove wear, and even though I don't dislike the 5.1 mix, I think the original stereo is my favorite. I haven't heard the quad mix presented in quad though, so that would certainly be nice.

I haven’t heard of that one - my bad! I have Music of the Spheres and, of course, several Tubular Bells, but any Mike Oldfield is a winner by me.

Yes! Hopefully a reissue campaign will ensure! They did it with several deluxe versions a while back (the aforementioned DVD-Videos with surround mixes). Those are quite valuable now; I have a few of the titles.

Desperately need an upgrade on those DVD-Vs for Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn, both of which offered only paltry, lossy Dolby Digital 448 Kbps 5.1

I would buy them on Blu-ray in a heartbeat even if it was just an upgrade to lossless 5.1, but new Atmos mixes would definitely sweeten the deal and increase the excitement.

Back