"Journey Through the Past" from Neil Young Archives - DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Don't get excited. The final disc in the Neil Young Archives Blu-Ray box is a Blu-Ray disc of Neil's film "Journey Through the Past". The soundtrack is a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mix.

However, the rears are used for some sound effects (cars driving by and through the listening area), but not so much (if at all) for the music portions.

This is a strange film. I've had the LP since it came out in the '70s, but I've never seen the film. I don't think it had a very wide distribution.

The scenes with Buffalo Springfiled, CSN&Y, and Neil performing are great. The film bits in between range from interesting to downright dull.

As for the video, it does not do justice to Blu-Ray, so those with the DVD set will miss nothing by having plain DVD-Video. The aspect ration is 16x9, and the quality of the print is great.

Just don't expect much from the surround speakers! :(

The pair "find the coast of freedom/ohio" on JTTP is IMHO the best released version of these songs.

The pair "find the coast of freedom/ohio" on JTTP is IMHO the best released version of these songs.

The live concert footage of "Find the Cost of Freedom" in this movie is awesome, watching Neil and Stephen play the intro close up is excellent. However, once the vocal starts, they cut backstage to a dude complaining that ticket prices have gotten to "almost TEN DOLLARS" and the kids won't be able to afford concerts pretty soon!!!! :eek:

I saw this movie at a midnight show in Chicago back in the 70's. I don't remember much of it :smokin, but I was looking forward to checking it out again. I had been excited by the DTS-HD Master Audio, but this is disappointing news. I had this set pre-ordered for the longest time and cancelled it last month. I'd still love to have it, but it's getting harder to justify.

I'm not surprised that this isn't much of a surround disc, if only because of all the remixing and futzing it would have entailed to make it true 5.1. And of course some archival footage was mono only to begin with, so what do you do with that? But I'm looking forward to seeing it again (at least the archival stuff, not the 'film' itself, which really had nothing going on).

HUMAN HIGHWAY is up ahead, I guess. For those who haven't seen that flick, all I can say is: watch out! :D

ED :)

I saw Journey Through The Past at the Ken Cinema in San Diego probably 1976 or so. Have had the album in the vinyl-to-convert stack but will now port the 2 ch mix from the Blu Ray. Pretty uneven quality film but highlights are worthwhile.

Have only watched Discs 1 & 2 so far.

IIRC the Journey soundtrack never made it into "official" digital release - the stereo dvda were Reactor, Hawk&Doves, Times Fade Away, American stars'n'nbars, then reissued also in cd format.
However, does exist a boot cd of JTTP wonderfully done, released way before the stereo dvda.

Actually Time Fades Away was never released on DVD-A or CD, On the Beach was. Time Fades Away and Journey Through The Past are still the only Neil Young LPs never released "officially" on CD. The original mix of the first solo album, "Neil Young", would be nice to have too.

(I'm hoping my Blu-ray Archive box from Amazon is in my mailbox when I get home)

Have a great weekend everybody!

Actually Time Fades Away was never released on DVD-A or CD, On the Beach was. Time Fades Away and Journey Through The Past are still the only Neil Young LPs never released "officially" on CD. The original mix of the first solo album, "Neil Young", would be nice to have too.

(I'm hoping my Blu-ray Archive box from Amazon is in my mailbox when I get home)

Have a great weekend everybody!

It's too bad that the DVD-A "On The Beach" was only stereo.
I have it because it IS a great album but... for it not to have been
in Multi-Channel is a shame.

-Bob

Don't get excited. The final disc in the Neil Young Archives Blu-Ray box is a Blu-Ray disc of Neil's film "Journey Through the Past". The soundtrack is a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mix.

However, the rears are used for some sound effects (cars driving by and through the listening area), but not so much (if at all) for the music portions.

The posters Way Back When claimed 4-channel magnetic stereo, but I'm pretty sure that the one 35mm showing I saw was just optical mono. For sure the 16mm show I saw was. I'm curious if the Blu-ray is really a 5.1 mix or just 4.0 (L-C-R-S) encoded as 5.1.

As for the video, it does not do justice to Blu-Ray, so those with the DVD set will miss nothing by having plain DVD-Video.

I would guess that most or even all of the negative is 16mm.

Back