Master's Project Surround Downloads and Discussion!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Hi all!

I'm very excited to share with all of you the "finished" surround mixes from my Master's Final Project on Surround Sound mixing for music!
(Finished is in quotes because I'm still waiting on comments/revisions from my advisory committee.)

In the meantime however, I've uploaded these surround mixes as FLAC files to my Dropbox account for all of you to download, listen to, comment on, and (hopefully) enjoy! The download files are available via this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ta7zmpamty3lt6q/AAB0JatwtRKk-LLEOOel3RHpa?dl=0
(As a special request, I can also upload a DVD-A/V ISO file of the surround mixes for a ready-to-burn DVD)

Along with comments and discussion on the mixes themselves, I encourage anyone who is interested to ask me questions about my project, research, and written work too. Think of this as kind of like a Reddit AMA where you can ask me anything relating to my project and surround sound mixing in general.

Two requests I have for all of you:
1) Do not share these surround mixes with anyone off of QQ
2) Try to refrain from generic comments like "These mixes suck" (cause then my response will be "I know they suck, so how can I make them not suck?" :confused: ) But you can voice whatever opinions you may wish (good or bad) as long as there's at least some good reasoning behind it.

Finally, I'd like to thank those QQ members who tested these mixes and offered their feedback on them ahead of today's "release".
And if you like the music, check out the full-length album they originate from found here: http://jonesunleashed.bandcamp.com
Special thanks to my good friend Michael Kammer for providing the material to me.
(Not my stereo mixes, FYI)

Let the discussion begin! :)

Whoa! Awesome! Can't wait to listen to these.... Hope I will have time soon! I'm at the office right now and listening to the stereo album. It sounds very nice. Are you planning to do the entire album in 5.1? I haven't listened to much of it yet, but right now, this sounds like something I'd buy in the blink of an eye.

Whoa! Awesome! Can't wait to listen to these.... Hope I will have time soon! I'm at the office right now and listening to the stereo album. It sounds very nice. Are you planning to do the entire album in 5.1? I haven't listened to much of it yet, but right now, this sounds like something I'd buy in the blink of an eye.

When I decided to use this material for the project, it was with the assumption that I could and would mix the entire album in surround.
Unfortunately that turned out not to be the case as I ran into several problems with missing files and parts from the sessions I was given.
Because of this, I decided to take those three songs where only a few minimal parts were missing and create new stereo and surround mixes from what I had.

On a side note, my friend Michael is in the process of creating an album of Electronic Dance Music (EDM), and I have already completed stereo and surround mixes for three songs (and planning to do a surround mix of another very soon!) I still think the goal for that project is do to a surround mix of the entire album when it's finished being written and recorded, but only time will tell! ;)

When I decided to use this material for the project, it was with the assumption that I could and would mix the entire album in surround.
Unfortunately that turned out not to be the case as I ran into several problems with missing files and parts from the sessions I was given.
Because of this, I decided to take those three songs where only a few minimal parts were missing and create new stereo and surround mixes from what I had.

On a side note, my friend Michael is in the process of creating an album of Electronic Dance Music (EDM), and I have already completed stereo and surround mixes for three songs (and planning to do a surround mix of another very soon!) I still think the goal for that project is do to a surround mix of the entire album when it's finished being written and recorded, but only time will tell! ;)

Nice, Ryan! Unfortunately, I didn't have time yesterday night to give these a good listen... Hopefully I can tonight!

I do have one follow-up question, but it's a bit off-topic. One of my friends here in Montreal is a Jazz singer who is considering moving into EDM for her next album, and she's curious about surround. I've been working to convince her to include 5.1 mixes in the project.

Hypothetically speaking... If, some time in the future, somehow, she provided you with her multis... What would happen? ;-)

I'll see her on Sunday and make sure she hears your mixes.

Hey Ryan!

First of all... Awesome job! These mixes are a pleasure to listen to. I think you've created a well-balanced, enveloping surround field which allows us to enjoy the various elements of the music in detail. You have a good ear for the details that want to be exposed, like for instance the guitar work (especially the stops) in "Yours".

Love the group harmonies in the rears in "Follow", what a nice touch!

On first listen, the one gripe I would have is that it all sounds a bit muddy, and tinny at the same time (guitars). While the bass is strong, it also seems a bit overpowering and could be more clearly defined. Unfortunately, I'm not too good with terminology, but if you have any way to make the tracks sound more dynamic and clearer, it would further improve an already great experience.

Like I said above, this is some very cool rock music and I'll definitely listen to these more often. I'll get back to you if I have further comments!

Congratulations on a job well done :)

Thanks for listening, and I'm glad you like the music and mixes overall! :)
Yeah, I hear you on those guitars. I think a lot of it has to do with somewhat indistinct playing through heavy distortion (not that my EQ choices really help to minimize those issues, but sometimes it really disproves the saying, "Well, we'll just fix it in the mix" ;) )
Interestingly enough the bass used to be even more overpowering, until I burned the mixes to a DVD-A and played it on my home listening system, at which point I brought it down to the level it's at now.

But thanks again for your comments and for listening! I always appreciate it! :)

Hey Ryan!

First of all... Awesome job! These mixes are a pleasure to listen to. I think you've created a well-balanced, enveloping surround field which allows us to enjoy the various elements of the music in detail. You have a good ear for the details that want to be exposed, like for instance the guitar work (especially the stops) in "Yours".

Love the group harmonies in the rears in "Follow", what a nice touch!

On first listen, the one gripe I would have is that it all sounds a bit muddy, and tinny at the same time (guitars). While the bass is strong, it also seems a bit overpowering and could be more clearly defined. Unfortunately, I'm not too good with terminology, but if you have any way to make the tracks sound more dynamic and clearer, it would further improve an already great experience.

Like I said above, this is some very cool rock music and I'll definitely listen to these more often. I'll get back to you if I have further comments!

Congratulations on a job well done :)

Hi all.

On a slight tangent, I will have some more surround sound downloads for all of you very soon, this time in the form of a Quadraphonic recording I did of my church's pipe organ. 4 microphones that will each be mapped to its own channel.
Looking forward to sharing the results with all of you in a few weeks' time! :)

Screen shot 2015-04-10 at 8.53.26 PM.jpg
Hi all.

On a slight tangent, I will have some more surround sound downloads for all of you very soon, this time in the form of a Quadraphonic recording I did of my church's pipe organ. 4 microphones that will each be mapped to its own channel.
I'm interested.

Hey man - not able to listen to them on my "system" yet...but did download to my laptop for a quick listen. I do like the music.....can't wait to try out the multi-channel on my system after bit. Waiting for the family to wake up...

I'll let you know.

Downloading now! I'm at home with my child all the weekend so I cannot guarantee a ver focused listening.
Thanks Ryan for asking for our opinion!

Downloading now! I'm at home with my child all the weekend so I cannot guarantee a ver focused listening.
Thanks Ryan for asking for our opinion!

My pleasure! I knew the best form of dissemination would be to go right to where the audience for surround is, which is all of you, naturally! :)

Hi all!

I'm very excited to share with all of you the "finished" surround mixes from my Master's Final Project on Surround Sound mixing for music!
(Finished is in quotes because I'm still waiting on comments/revisions from my advisory committee.)

In the meantime however, I've uploaded these surround mixes as FLAC files to my Dropbox account for all of you to download, listen to, comment on, and (hopefully) enjoy! The download files are available via this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ta7zmpamty3lt6q/AAB0JatwtRKk-LLEOOel3RHpa?dl=0
(As a special request, I can also upload a DVD-A/V ISO file of the surround mixes for a ready-to-burn DVD)

Along with comments and discussion on the mixes themselves, I encourage anyone who is interested to ask me questions about my project, research, and written work too. Think of this as kind of like a Reddit AMA where you can ask me anything relating to my project and surround sound mixing in general.

Two requests I have for all of you:
1) Do not share these surround mixes with anyone off of QQ
2) Try to refrain from generic comments like "These mixes suck" (cause then my response will be "I know they suck, so how can I make them not suck?" :confused: ) But you can voice whatever opinions you may wish (good or bad) as long as there's at least some good reasoning behind it.

Finally, I'd like to thank those QQ members who tested these mixes and offered their feedback on them ahead of today's "release".
And if you like the music, check out the full-length album they originate from found here: http://jonesunleashed.bandcamp.com
Special thanks to my good friend Michael Kammer for providing the material to me.
(Not my stereo mixes, FYI)

Let the discussion begin! :)

Thanks for this, I'm downloading. I'll have to convert from flac and burn a disc as I can't do 5.1 flac to the amp, I recently got Cirlinca HD-Audio Solo Ultra which should do it. I'll give them a listen and comment constructively.

Thanks for this, I'm downloading. I'll have to convert from flac and burn a disc as I can't do 5.1 flac to the amp, I recently got Cirlinca HD-Audio Solo Ultra which should do it. I'll give them a listen and comment constructively.

Thanks!
Cirlinca HD-Audio Solo Ultra has actually been a big part of this project as I burned tons of test discs to play the mixes at various stages on my system. :)

Back