ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just spent the last 40 minutes spinning my newly acquired vinyl of CHEAP TRICK - In Color. What a total joy that was. The album was released in September of 1977. I was a young impressionable lad at the ripe age of 14. You think I was in AWE of Cheap Trick when I first heard this? Uh, yep. Haven't really listened to this album forever. I gotta say, it's one hell of a fine rock album. To me, they absolutely deserve being in the Hall. Usually only the upper tier bands get in...so I"m so pleased they made it because I believe their 70's output is about as fine of song writing and power pop/rock as you will ever hear.

If you haven't listened to IN Color - give it a whirl, every song is a winner...no filler on this one. Anyone who doubts how damn talented Rick Nielson is, just take a look at how many of the songs are written by him. Nearly all of them. He's the real deal...

Which one?
The AF LP release? or an Epic US pressing?

I have both the AF one and an Epic Canadian pressing.

Their first one is VERY RAW and different because it was the songs from their previous group "Sick man of Europe" and Jack Douglas gave it a ROCKING Production treatment...I think that both "In Color (and in Black & White)"
AND
"Heaven Tonight"
are a
"ONE-TWO Punch"

saw them 1st time in the "All Shook Up" Tour with Pete Comita on bass (who probably got fired because -IMO- he could play circles around Rick and did so on the show I saw) and twice with Jon Brandt on bass...
Never got to see the Classic lineup now that Bun E left...

Their Sgt Pepper concert video was also really cool...

Which one?

Their first one is VERY RAW and different because it was the songs from their previous group "Sick man of Europe" and Jack Douglas gave it a ROCKING Production treatment...I think that both "In Color (and in Black & White)"
AND
"Heaven Tonight"
are a
"ONE-TWO Punch"

saw them 1st time in the "All Shook Up" Tour with Pete Comita on bass (who probably got fired because -IMO- he could play circles around Rick and did so on the show I saw) and twice with Jon Brandt on bass...

I have the Epic US. I think it sounds pretty damn good. You can really crank that dude.

Which one?

AND
"Heaven Tonight"
are a
"ONE-TWO Punch"

Comita? Yeah, well he's a bass player...I assume you mean he simply out "showman'd" Rick. That's possible. I know that Comita was a beast, very talented. I've followed Cheap Trick for ever and never noticed Rick to be ego tripping. Yeah, he's a bit eccentric, but on stage, they all just play. No dicking around for the most part.

Comita? Yeah, well he's a bass player...I assume you mean he simply out "showman'd" Rick. That's possible. I know that Comita was a beast, very talented. I've followed Cheap Trick for ever and never noticed Rick to be ego tripping. Yeah, he's a bit eccentric, but on stage, they all just play. No dicking around for the most part.

Well, it's that on any surviving video of Comita playing with them (Chicagofest 81, the rehearsals, etc.) you don't see him outplaying Rick , which he did, although it was 35 years ago, I remember perfectly his bass solo..yes, playing faster, more accurate and even better solos/melodies than Rick.... ON THE BASS!!! (Pete was a guitarist to begin with...)

They all say he was fired was because he was a party animal...but , even Bun E. confessed "We were ALL DOGS back then..", Bun E was at his skinniest ever, and after hitting the BIG TIME, I'm sure there was more than their share of Marching Powder!!!!

Check out this Jackson Five performance of Dancing Machine on Soul Train. As far as I know, this is one of the earliest performances where Michael is honing his "pre-moon walk" ROBOT moves. Very, very cool. Video is not good quality, but you can see it just fine. Around 1:15 is where he goes into his ROBOT....then flashes a big smile at the end.

[video=youtube;QsPI3poYdgw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsPI3poYdgw&list=RDQsPI3poYdgw#t=149[/video]

Stunning.. what a talent.. whether you like his music or not, just an incredible performer and he had it all at an early age, he moved and sounded like a seasoned pro when he was just a kid. I can't watch too much of his old stuff without getting sad, such a hugely gifted beautiful black boy turned into, well we all know what happened.. I hope he's at peace now cos I think his life, despite all that incredible talent, was just from one frying pan into another frying pan ultimately into the fire, poor bugger.

Apologies in advance for drifting out of topic, but my car was stolen yesterday night. It vanished, not even debris of broken glass. Nothing.
Assuming it won't reappear magically, this means that I must say goodbye to music expenditures this year. No big boxes, forget about upgrading my amp... Nothing...
The only self indulgence I may allow myself to buy might be the PF set... We'll see...
It was a 3 years old Toyota, by the way, I still cannot understand why mine was chosen instead of the surrounding Audi's.

Sorry to hear that, maybe it was taken because it doesn't stand out. Hopefully you'll get it back.
Apologies in advance for drifting out of topic, but my car was stolen yesterday night. It vanished, not even debris of broken glass. Nothing.
Assuming it won't reappear magically, this means that I must say goodbye to music expenditures this year. No big boxes, forget about upgrading my amp... Nothing...
The only self indulgence I may allow myself to buy might be the PF set... We'll see...
It was a 3 years old Toyota, by the way, I still cannot understand why mine was chosen instead of the surrounding Audi's.

Ugh! Is car theft normal in your area?

I didn't think so until mine was stolen. It's a quiet residential area in Madrid.
What I found in the morning was a kebab van in my car's place, see pic. I couldn't believe it.

Attachments

• WP_20160802_001.jpg
    WP_20160802_001.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 194

¡¡¡JO DERRRRRRR!!!!!

So sorry to hear that your lovely Toyota was stolen!!!! (It WAS a lovely car and thanks for the ride!!)

Did you have it "a todo riesgo"???
From what you say it seems you didn't and that SUCKS!!!

The car stealing mafia in Madrid is very dangerous and very efficient...it's probably now either in parts or whole being shipped to an Eastern European Country....it looks like the Audis have a GPS or something to track them down if they chose yours over them...

¡Que putada!!!

So, 2 weeks ago Elusive Disk was offering some special discount. I wanted to take advantage of this and also wanted to use Paypal Credit (which their site claimed you could do as long as all the products you buy are in stock). Another odd requirement was that the address you supplied Elusive matches the address associated with Paypal (which mine does).

So, I get to the order stage...and no option for Paypal. I reboot, go back in...nothing. I clear my cache, still nothing. So - I email them and present them my problem....a week goes by, no response. I then email them a 2nd time...nothing. Now, the deal is over and I've lost my chance.

Yes, it is things like this that make customers not return. Well, count me in as one that won't return. Horrible customer service. (yes, I checked my spam folder...no responses from them)

So, 2 weeks ago Elusive Disk was offering some special discount. I wanted to take advantage of this and also wanted to use Paypal Credit (which their site claimed you could do as long as all the products you buy are in stock). Another odd requirement was that the address you supplied Elusive matches the address associated with Paypal (which mine does).

So, I get to the order stage...and no option for Paypal. I reboot, go back in...nothing. I clear my cache, still nothing. So - I email them and present them my problem....a week goes by, no response. I then email them a 2nd time...nothing. Now, the deal is over and I've lost my chance.

Yes, it is things like this that make customers not return. Well, count me in as one that won't return. Horrible customer service. (yes, I checked my spam folder...no responses from them)

If they actually cared about keeping you as a customer, they'd give you the discount. I hope you get some joy out of this frustration.

Back