Springsteen The River Deluxe Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bossfan

600 Club - QQ All-Star
has anyone heard anything about the 5.1 version of this album that is apparently going to be included in this set. I hope the Boss does a heck of a lot better than dulby digital this time. At least give us some DTS with real 5.1.
Research suggests just the concert footage is in 5.1 done by Bob Clearmountain. Probably a waste. Would love some Springsteen in real 5.1.

Last edited:
has anyone heard anything about the 5.1 version of this album that is apparently going to be included in this set. I hope the Boss does a heck of a lot better than dulby digital this time. At least give us some DTS with real 5.1.

I hate to break it to you, but there's no 5.1 surround mix of the album in this new box set.
There's a documentary, and then there's a live concert film, but no surround mix of the album or any studio material.

Yes there is some quite good DD on Darkness deluxe set but no real discrete 5.1.

Is there any Bruce in Surround besides "Devils and Dust"?

The Live in NYC 2CD set recorded in 2000 was available on SACD in 5.1 but it's a very uninspired mix. Mostly crowd noise and reverb in the rear channels. There is the occasional hint of keyboards in the rear channels, but not enough to be too interesting. The poll for it is here. It doesn't have enough votes yet to be included on the Hi-Rez Poll chart, but its current average rating is 5.125. If it was included on the poll page, it would be the second lowest rated disc on the entire chart.

There are also two others that come to mind

The Seeger Sessions-dual disc, which has Brucie and band doing some "live in the studio" type of performance on the dvd side in DD 5.1 and an expanded version -American Land with one or two additional tracks in surround.Although they are only DD , they are not bad in surround.

Avoid with extreme prejudice the Anthology DVD .Worst upmix of Springsteen I've heard, had it and happily dumped it.

Guess I am surprised that there isn't some interest in the Springsteen camp to do some hi-rez multi-channel.

Me too.. v.surprised at the poor surround showing for such a huge artist, I've heard rumours of a Quad mix of Born To Run but thats all it is a rumour :(

Edit: Wikipedia says Springsteen is the 7th biggest selling male artist of all time in the States with sales of 64.5 Million albums...

Apparently the others are:

1.)Garth Brooks (135 Million),
2.)Elvis Presley (134.5 Million),
3.)Billy Joel (81.5 Million),
4.)Michael Jackson (75 Million),
5.)Elton John (73.5 Million),
6.)George Strait (69 Million)

..interesting

Never used to care about The Boss...but as my taste in music has widened...I realize how great he is and the E-Street Band....outstanding performers.

Never used to care about The Boss...but as my taste in music has widened...I realize how great he is and the E-Street Band....outstanding performers.

Same here, this hobby has been the greatest musical education I could have ever had!

Its got me into so many artists from the U.S and beyond that I either never heard of before, including artists that never had much presence over here in the UK (like The Doobies, America, Steve Miller, BTO, Edgar Winter, Ohio Players, Poco..) and then there are those acts (I'm ashamed to say this but artists of the calibre of Steely Dan and Bob Dylan were among them :eek: ) that were not my cup of tea at all when I was a kid and I never really "got" them.. until I started listening to surround music.. on the one hand I'm the poorer financially yet the richer in so many other ways for the experience that's for sure! :)

Springsteen has always been a favourite of mine right back to high school and I am now approaching 57 so I have pretty much everything he has done including some bootlegs. I have the sacd live in New york but rarely play it. Great album, I listen to iton the ipod when I walk the dog but no real need to listen to it again at home for better sound because there's not enough of a difference. He needs to put out some quality 5.1. The. E street band is such a rich sound that it would sound great.

A lot of The Boss' material is densely instrumented and sounds very compressed. Remastering of the multitracks to 5.1 would probably open up a lot of the music and reveal more details of these complex productions. Hope we see his catalog in 5.1 someday.

A lot of The Boss' material is densely instrumented and sounds very compressed. Remastering of the multitracks to 5.1 would probably open up a lot of the music and reveal more details of these complex productions. Hope we see his catalog in 5.1 someday.

I agree I have his more acoustic albums like Nebraska, and listen to them but I hardly ever listen to the Greatest Hits as I'm hit by a wall of mush. There are some great songs on his more famous albums, so remixed into 5.1 with no compression would really open them up.

Do not see very much information here on this set but I just finished reading Bruce's biography and as I was reading it I would listen to his albums on headphones at the same time and as I got immersed in his music I got a way better appreciation to his music. Many refreshing things to read from Bruce's honesty is many different things of his life but when he was talking about his own music he said he listened to other artists that did not have the best singing voices and Bruce said he was in that same camp as well so he tried to learn how to best present the song with his vocal limitations. After reading this it gave me a better appreciation of his music.
I see that Bob Clearmountain did the 5.1 mix's for this set so that sparked my curiosity as well so order placed for this boxset.
I am definitely becoming more and more a big fan of Bob C. mixes as even if he does concert ones with band in front and mostly fan noise in rear speakers I just love the fidelity he gets out of the live mix's he has been involved in.

Does anyone have the Darkness Boxset Bluray's as am curious on those as well and how they sound, I believe Bob Clearmountain did the live mix's for that set as well?

Its a shame that Bob Clearmountain did not get to do the studio albums in 5.1 for these sets as that would have made these boxsets from really good to fantastic. Its only the live stuff thats in 5.1 or 3.1 for the discreet fans of these boxsets from what I can tell.

peter

Last edited:
Back