Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will a Shure V15Vxmr work for CD-4?

500 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Will a Shure V15Vxmr work for CD-4?

Quote Originally Posted by Cai Campbell View Post
    This is great news but I remain a bit wary....I'm glad its sounding good! The only caveat to recommending this to others would be that manufacturing quality may vary as to performance outside of the manufacturers specifications on an individual basis.
    Tried it this weekend on a Studer linear tracking turntable Like has been posted it's kind of top heavy and sounds a little bit like a FM radio-station cartridge when it comes to presence and transience. Yes, you get good carrier lock on CD-4 but the actual demodulation leaves a little to be desired, of course depending on the record.

Doors Greatest Hits doesn't do TOO bad, Japanese CD-4 of Sound of Music gives some nice space and a few other things have some nice air to them when played thru this cartridge, but the sense of `being there' i.e. comparing to the Q8 for example varies considerably. Orchestral and soundtracks do better than rock `n' roll it seems.

But it does great for UD-4. Probably because in the UD-4 system it's mostly steering cues in the carrier band and not much actual music.

Giving this one back though to my audiophile cartridge buddy who collects cartridges like most of us collect spare tires, I'd still give it a 7 or 7 and a half.

Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Will a Shure V15Vxmr work for CD-4?

Yup tried it - carrier light constant all the way thru a disc using JVC 4DD-5 demodulator. Next the hook up and listen test.
    The sound is it real or in my head.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12