Star Wars Comes to Stereo DSD & Analog Tape

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If these are the same sources as the recent Hi-Res downloads/CDs, they will be the vinyl LP masters.
Frankly, having the 4-CD Anthology, I was disappointed in these.
They sound okay, but not as good as they could have if the original masters still existed, or if they did a faithful remix from the multis.

Plus, I prefer to listen to the cues unedited and chronologically, but that's me.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can get (and did, in fact) get the soundtracks as 24/192 PCM downloads from HDtracks, in a legit version taken from the original tapes. I'm a little confused as to what this operation is, honestly.

Getting an isolated score for the Star Wars movies in 5.1 lossless on the blu-ray edition of the movies would (in theory) be in entirely doable. Williams's score for Superman (1) is on the blu-ray in Dolby 5.1, and plenty of movies have isolates lossless scores in 5.1.

I'm a little confused as to what this operation is, honestly.

Horch House is a division of Lutz Precision in Austria. They reissue albums on Analog Tape, LP and Music Files (DSD and WAV) from Analog Tapes licensed from record companies.
The Music Files are sold on USB Wafer Cards. Over 30 titles to date in that format.

http://www.analogarts.net/
http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/horch-house-dsd-wafer-cards/
http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/star-wars-comes-to-dsd-and-analog-tape/

As anyone here been successful in contacting Horch House for an order? I have sent an e-mail and used their Contact page and I've never heard back from them. I'd love to call them, but the different time zones makes it challenging.

So nobody here has successfully been in touch with them?

Horch House is a division of Lutz Precision in Austria. They reissue albums on Analog Tape, LP and Music Files (DSD and WAV) from Analog Tapes licensed from record companies.
The Music Files are sold on USB Wafer Cards. Over 30 titles to date in that format.

I guess I can't quite believe that Sony Classical sent original master tapes for one of their most valuable assets to Slovakia. I mean, don't they have their own in-house setup for DSD mastering? It just smells funny.

I guess I can't quite believe that Sony Classical sent original master tapes for one of their most valuable assets to Slovakia. I mean, don't they have their own in-house setup for DSD mastering? It just smells funny.

Actually Skywalker Studios, not Sony Classical, sent the Star Wars albums on Analog Tape to Horch House to make the Analog Tape, DSD and WAV releases.
I'm guessing they sent 1 to 1 copies of the Analog Master vs. the Master itself.

So nobody here has successfully been in touch with them?

I've traded emails with the Horch House folks a number of times and ordered several of their DSD releases on Wafer Card.
They're probably at the High End Munich audio show this weekend in Germany.

I saw that mention - I assume they mean Skywalker Sound?

I'd have no trouble dropping the money for the soundtracks in DSD, more than just about any other album. But something about it still feels funny to me.

I saw that mention - I assume they mean Skywalker Sound?

I'd have no trouble dropping the money for the soundtracks in DSD, more than just about any other album. But something about it still feels funny to me.

Nothing funny in any of their DSD releases so far that I've experienced.
Except maybe the Cantina Band track from Star Wars... :)

I've traded emails with the Horch House folks a number of times and ordered several of their DSD releases on Wafer Card.
They're probably at the High End Munich audio show this weekend in Germany.

Thanks Brian, but I've written to them twice over a month ago. I'll try again then.

I've finally heard back from Horch House. They had serious issues with their e-mails and things are now back to normal. I should receive my order in a few weeks. I'll report back on my thoughts about the music. :)

Back