Stone Temple Pilots - Core 25th Anniversary Super Deluxe

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I asked Foraging Rhino about the multi-channel mix and he confirmed it is the original mix found on the DVD-Audio. So, if you don't like that one, I guess it's a pass. I don't have it myself, so still debating about my order... :mad:@:

Some great CD tracks tho GOS :smokin

Reportedly, there's no DTS track on the DVD, just Dolby Digital, despite the menu and all description. Can anyone confirm this?

I am not detoured.....I'm still getting the deluxe edition. I should have it Tuesday or so. :)

Or better yet... :banana::banana::banana:

I received the deluxe 25th anniversary set today. As shown in pictures, both the sticker on the front, insert page on back and booklet inside all said it had DTS 5.1 96/24 surround.

That is not correct as others surmised.

I honestly don't know how they totally botched that, but yeah. It's AC-3 48/24 6 channel. AKA - Dolby Digital.
Regardless of all that nonsense, the 5.1 sounds very nice to my ears. I don't own the DVD-Audio, so this wasn't a stretch to purchase. It's a nice little package (not little in size...a bit larger than an album cover).

It does also have LPCM 96/24 stereo...but I ripped that and it's crap. Brickwalled big time. The DD 5.1 is not, it sounds very warm with nice sonics. The DR on the DD 5.1 is very good, while the DR on the 96/24 stereo is in the tank.

I haven't checked out the 4 CD's yet, but I will. It also has a 180 gram vinyl which looks nice and solid. Overall, a very nice set. The front of the set has the name of the band and album in raised lettering. A nice feature. :)

I received the deluxe 25th anniversary set today. As shown in pictures, both the sticker on the front, insert page on back and booklet inside all said it had DTS 5.1 96/24 surround.

That is not correct as others surmised.

I honestly don't know how they totally botched that, but yeah. It's AC-3 48/24 6 channel. AKA - Dolby Digital.
Regardless of all that nonsense, the 5.1 sounds very nice to my ears. I don't own the DVD-Audio, so this wasn't a stretch to purchase. It's a nice little package (not little in size...a bit larger than an album cover).

It does also have LPCM 96/24 stereo...but I ripped that and it's crap. Brickwalled big time. The DD 5.1 is not, it sounds very warm with nice sonics. The DR on the DD 5.1 is very good, while the DR on the 96/24 stereo is in the tank.

I haven't checked out the 4 CD's yet, but I will. It also has a 180 gram vinyl which looks nice and solid. Overall, a very nice set. The front of the set has the name of the band and album in raised lettering. A nice feature. :)

Pardon me for voicing an opinion but a DD 5.1 DVD is hardly DELUXE. I know the original MLP DVD~A 96/24 [which I have] is OOP and fetching big bucks* but if you're going to offer a pricey 'deluxe' edition.....make it DELUXE!

[*actually used/very good $28 + s/h from Amazon] https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1507328469&sr=8-1

Pardon me for voicing an opinion but a DD 5.1 DVD is hardly DELUXE. I know the original MLP DVD~A 96/24 [which I have] is OOP and fetching big bucks* but if you're going to offer a pricey 'deluxe' edition.....make it DELUXE!

[*actually used/very good $28 + s/h from Amazon] https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1507328469&sr=8-1

Hey man, opinions are great. Only, I didn't get punked.....I knew there was a good chance it was DD as it was reported earlier here. It sounds very good, it has extras, it has vinyl, which I like. All in a cozy, sweet looking package. Which apparently I also like. It's all good, and, I'm happy with it. :)

Any-who - I have friends in dark places who have the 96/24 5.1 and I will be comparing the 2 to see how vastly better the 96/24 sounds. lol
I think I know the answer to that.

Or do I? :yikes

Hey man, opinions are great. Only, I didn't get punked.....I knew there was a good chance it was DD as it was reported earlier here. It sounds very good, it has extras, it has vinyl, which I like. All in a cozy, sweet looking package. Which apparently I also like. It's all good, and, I'm happy with it. :)

Any-who - I have friends in dark places who have the 96/24 5.1 and I will be comparing the 2 to see how vastly better the 96/24 sounds. lol
I think I know the answer to that.

Or do I? :yikes

Gene, just 'splurge' for the USED/VG MLP DVD~A from Amazon and do the comparison yourself:banana:

BTW, the RPWL WANTED disc is also DD 5.1 and it really does sound awesome for DD. If you don't have that album......BUY IT. It's fantastic! http://www.importcds.com/wanted/884860099226

Gene, just 'splurge' for the USED/VG MLP DVD~A from Amazon and do the comparison yourself:banana:

BTW, the RPWL WANTED disc is also DD 5.1 and it really does sound awesome for DD. If you don't have that album......BUY IT. It's fantastic! http://www.importcds.com/wanted/884860099226

Funny you mentioned RPWL in surround. I had purchased one from Amazon several months ago. The description clearly said it was the multi-channel version.....I get it and it was a damn CD. Since they only charged me $5.98 for it. I said screw it. I'm sometimes too busy to dink around with returns.

Funny you mentioned RPWL in surround. I had purchased one from Amazon several months ago. The description clearly said it was the multi-channel version.....I get it and it was a damn CD. Since they only charged me $5.98 for it. I said screw it. I'm sometimes too busy to dink around with returns.

Buy the 5.1 version. It's only $12.44 from ImportCD. What do you get for $12.44 today? Not even a stinking' martini.:friday:

I typically laugh when folks pull out the charts and graphs. I'm content to use my ears to tell me if I'm happy with the sound.
First off - I played both the 96/24 and the 48/24 version of Core and I absolutely thought they sounded identical. So, there's that.

Then, because I'm a dope, and I really don't know what I'm doing...I pulled in both versions (only Wicked Garden) into Audacity. Focused on one channel just to clean up the viewing area and here is a screen shot of each one. I guess if one were better than the other, wouldn't it somehow look different?

I see very little, if any difference. Again, maybe this is useless the way I'm looking at it. Most likely. Still, I cannot hear any difference. Go figure....

Wicked Garden.jpg

I should clarify. I don't honestly laugh. But, for my human ears, the graphs simply say things that I can't always detect. So in that sense.....do they matter?
Now, I do make a living looking at LOTS of graphs....so there is that too. :)

:banana:

Oh, and on to the vinyl included in the deluxe box set...... So I ripped both the 96/24 files from the DVD and also ripped the vinyl using Audacity.
As an example:

Sex Type Thing - 96/24 from DVD-V has a DR of 7
Sex Type Thing - ripped at 96/24 from vinyl has a DR of 11

:)

I typically laugh when folks pull out the charts and graphs. I'm content to use my ears to tell me if I'm happy with the sound.
First off - I played both the 96/24 and the 48/24 version of Core and I absolutely thought they sounded identical. So, there's that.

Then, because I'm a dope, and I really don't know what I'm doing...I pulled in both versions (only Wicked Garden) into Audacity. Focused on one channel just to clean up the viewing area and here is a screen shot of each one. I guess if one were better than the other, wouldn't it somehow look different?

I see very little, if any difference. Again, maybe this is useless the way I'm looking at it. Most likely. Still, I cannot hear any difference. Go figure....

View attachment 30801

Well, you don't see any differences, I do in your graphs...

You should zoom in to see the actual waveform rather the waveform distorted by limits of the graphic cards resolution. Then we can judge on the differences.

-Kristian

If the limited number was 7500 instead of 15000 and a Blu-Ray over the Dvd-A, I would have bought it in a minute.

Well, you don't see any differences, I do in your graphs...

You should zoom in to see the actual waveform rather the waveform distorted by limits of the graphic cards resolution. Then we can judge on the differences.

-Kristian

Hmmm. Zoom in huh? OK. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back