Evanesence - Synthesis (LIMITED DELUXE BOX)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am only familiar with the Fallen album as I procured a 6.1 upmix of Fallen a while back and quite liked it, the upmix sounds very good to my ears. I'm sure I will probably get this as I have no self control :mad:@: Maybe if this does well they will do the back catalog in 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 or Atmos (y)

I'm highly interested in this, primarily for Mrs. Baggins, but I like Evanescence too.
I might wait for some reviews of the mix though.
IMO, orchestral arrangements are going to sound better in surround than dense, rock/metal.
Sure, I'd love to hear their back catalog well-done too, but if this is well-done, it might prove hard to beat.

Yeah......me too.....for Mrs joechip and daughter joechipess........
Both love The group and chipess away to see them next year in northern blighty towns.
Wait for the in-crowd to report back......
Good price at Zoom though.......if you don,t want the squidgey writing book.

This one appears to universally pass
the WAF or PAF test.

(Wife/Partner acceptance factor)

Hopefully this translates into more 'us' time, rather than 'me' time when listening to MCH music.

It definitely shows 5.1 mix (in Dolby Digital) on the back:
61ZlQeOcFVL.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Synthesis-Deluxe-Evanescence/dp/B075NVW1GP/

The box set arrived from Amazon.de today. The surround on the main album is DD 5.1 and it's a very immersive, discrete mix. I would have preferred a bit less processing of the drums but, overall, it's quite an open mix with a lot of clarity around the vocals and not particularly fatiguing to listen to. Its nice that the orchestra has been spread around the listener rather than being used as background behind the vocals and main instruments. The main surprise is that the instrumental version is DD stereo which automatically switches to Dolby Pro Logic 5.1 on my system and provides a surround mix which a lot more discrete and immersive than a lot of the 5.1 mixes that I have heard. Well worth getting if you are into Evanescence. (y)

My Ltd. Ed. Box Set turned up this morning, so I was curious and gave it a listen. Sound Quality is excellent (don't worry about it being 5.1 DD), the mix is Amy Lee's vocals in the Centre speaker, instruments and orchestra in the 4 surrounds. The Orchestra is prominent. If anything the vocals are a little bit high in level, so it comes across as vocals with supporting instrumentation around, some nice little touches in the mix where things move or are discrete. It is very Rock Operatic, I really like it, but I do like Evanescence.

Edit: The box set comes with some of the score so the DVD found at the back of the booklet - I thought at first I didn't have a DVD as the album in the Box Set is a shrink wrapped CD.

Is there a poll for this?

I was really looking forward to this project. Sadly for me it was a great idea but a flawed implementation. The orchestra sounds great, with good dynamics. Lee has a tremendous voice. You can tell that she has great feeling for the music. Unfortunately her vocal track is nearly ruined by compression. Too loud and extremely flat in comparison with the instrumentation.

For me, an opportunity squandered by a cardinal mistake in the mix.

Reducing the center channel by 3dB helps with the relative level but there’s no fix for the compression.:(

P.S. - Evanescence is spelled wrong in the thread title. No big deal, but I had trouble finding it...

Back