Dire Straits : Brothers In Arms

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesper

Since 2002/2003
Just got it today and it rocks!

I think it's funny I can't see any DUALDISC logo I thought the logo would be on the front like the others I have bought. It is a DUALDISC and both sides play fine on my Denon DVD3800... :smokin

How does it sound compared to the SACD, and is there any video content? And what are the specs?

narcopolo said:
How does it sound compared to the SACD, and is there any video content? And what are the specs?

I'm sorry I don't have the SACD version..

No video content

24/96 MLP 5.1, 24/48 pcm stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1.

Jesper said:

No video content

No video no sale.....Thanks for the report and saving me some money for nothing :)

Why does Amazon want $33.99 for this on SACD?! :eek:

I realize it's an Import and all but from what I have read in the forum here, there are cheaper places to get it. Does anyone know if they are just ripping people off or is there a real reason behind such a high price? :confused:

Zepguy said:

I realize it's an Import and all but from what I have read in the forum here, there are cheaper places to get it. Does anyone know if they are just ripping people off or is there a real reason behind such a high price? :confused:
The reason is they want you to buy the DD....

Jesper said:

No video content

No video content! Does that also mean no regioncode on the DVD side?
Where can I order for delivery to Germany?

MC Weissbier said:
No video content! Does that also mean no regioncode on the DVD side?

Actually there is never any code restriction on the .aob files (in the AUDIO_TS directory).

Only the video can be region code restricted (.vob files in the VIDEO_TS directory), but it's so useless to do that on DVD-A that in most cases, DVD-A carrying video content aren't even region code restricted.

You can buy the DualDisc of BIA with your two eyes closed : there won't be any region code ;)

I just got my SACD BIA from http://www.sendmemovies.com/ . 27 bucks plus 5 for shipping (will ship all disk ordered for 5 bucks). What a great disk. "Why Worry" is a fantastic mix. Love those SACD's.

Spence

Zepguy said:

I bought my SACD from CD-WOW, 9 pounds sterling & change. $13?? with no shipping charge. It arrived last night & I couldn't stop playing it. Almost all surround remixes of albums I'm familiar with in stereo sound odd to me. Usually I prefer the hi-rez stereo versions to the surround mix. This surround mix sounds so incredibly good, faithful to the original but ex potentially better. No gimmicks, everything in its place, nothing overdone, brilliant, a benchmark. (y)

I picked this up this week...The DualDisc version...even though there is no DD logo anywhere on the cover. It was great to see that the DVD side played like a DVD -A in Hi rez!
This was always a great sounding CD but this new surround/Hi Rez version definitely kicks it up a notch...or two!!! Very well done mix and superb sound quality!!!!
Now....if we could just get releases of this caliber more frequently instead of once or twice a year!!!!
TimW

Zepguy said:

You think THAT is a ripoff?
Have a look here:
(These are UK Sterling, which is worth $1.70 or so at the moment. So ÂŁ10 = $17.
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/simpleSearch.do?ctx=-1;1;-1;-1&pGroupID=1&simpleSearchString=dvdaudio&primaryID=1&btnSearchGo.x=19&btnSearchGo.y=7

Doors LA Woman = ÂŁ21.99 ($39.67 at todays exchange rate)
Queen, Night At The Opera = ÂŁ27.99 ($50.50)
These belong in a "name & shame" bin! :mad: (n) :mad:
When asked why it is so much money, they replied to me saying that they charge the current market price, and the cost is worth it for their knowledgeable & helpful staff.

And we wonder why sales are low?
I smell a serious RAT in there.

Jon - can we start a thread for the most outrageous prices in a retail outlet?

I just received the DVD-A (dualdisc) version in the mail. Great disc! It shows what can be done with 5.1. $13.99 plus tax (no shipping) at Circuit City online.

tcdriver said:
I just received the DVD-A (dualdisc) version in the mail. Great disc! It shows what can be done with 5.1. $13.99 plus tax (no shipping) at Circuit City online.
Bummer. You could have bought it at the store today during their $9.88 sale. Maybe you can claim something under the price protection policy.

Hi,
Well I'm Greedy I have both SACD (from England) and the US Dual disc.
Because I have a Pioneer Universal player I prefer the dual disc because the mix sounds bigger and more powerful. The ability to read the lyrics is a bonus.
Other than that both mixes are fantastic, but I beleive it is the way that the pioneer 667A reproduces the two discs that gives the DVD-A (Dual disc the edge).
I thought all video content was region free, maybe because in Down under NZ we can buy region free DVD players - who knows?.
Some will knock the dual disc , I don't have a problem with it, I suppose its the ability to get one side scratched that is a problem for some - but treat it gently and it should last.
OK 96/24 isn't the top, my Alan Pasons Dual format is 192/24 stereo and 96/24 stereo, but heh Tubular bells is only 48/24.
Both mixes are great , I prefer the Dual Disc for its musicality.
Regards
Bill

Back