Oppo DV-970HD Universal Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Robinson

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Okay, after all the talk about how the Pioneer 45a is inferior to newer players, I decided to look around. There was so much good press and reviews on this unit that I decided to pick one up today. The price was right as well at $167 CDN. The store was also 5 minutes away from my work so the planets came into alignment. Well, I give up. The 45a is not close to the quality of this unit either in the audio or video category. It's sitting in it's box at the present time. So far I have noticed tighter bass in greater quantity, a smooth frequency output that is warmer with more detail. More depth and air, especially with SACD. There was distortion there before which I didn't realize. It's gone now. SACD sounds totally different. This thing doesn't sound like it is converting DSD to PCM and if it is, it is doing a phenomenal job of it. I'm very happy after the few hours I have spent listening. The video wins hands down as well. More detail there as well. Both the player and my receiver will now decode the 640 Dolby on Pulse. So I can play it through the 6 analog and the digital out to the receiver. There is a firmware upgrade that I will download sometime in the next week that fixes some SACD menu issues and some DVD-A discs that it was having trouble with. The customer service apparently is excellent as well from what I have read. I recommend this unit without any negatives at this point. Totally incredible. A less than $200 expenditure just added a whole lot more $$$ to the sound and video quality of my system. There is better out there and this unit definately proves it at a very low price as well.

I have the Pioneer DV-588A which is a pretty good universal player but poor DVD-V player. I almost bought a DV45A but read too many complaints. The Oppo DV970HD has to be at the top of the heap for inexpensive universal players now. Although I already have several inexpensive players since I was getting ready for their extinction, I am going to have to get this one as well. I wish I had waited for this one rather than buying those cheap refurbished Samsung DVD-HD841's.

Chris

I have the Pioneer DV-588A which is a pretty good universal player but poor DVD-V player. I almost bought a DV45A but read too many complaints. The Oppo DV970HD has to be at the top of the heap for inexpensive universal players now. Although I already have several inexpensive players since I was getting ready for their extinction, I am going to have to get this one as well. I wish I had waited for this one rather than buying those cheap refurbished Samsung DVD-HD841's.

Chris

When you get it you will be surprised just how fantastic it is. I see no negative points after another few hours of playing last night after the original post. The Oppo blows the 45a out of the running and my parents have a 588a and it also does not come close to the Oppo in performance from what I have seen/heard either. The firmware upgrade was also easy. Just a 1.4 MB ISO image from their website written onto a CD blank. Pop it into the playerand hit play. 2 minutes later it reboots with the new firmware. I did lose all my settings though like speaker distances etc so it took a few minutes after that to do the setup again.

Okay, after all the talk about how the Pioneer 45a is inferior to newer players, I decided to look around. There was so much good press and reviews on this unit that I decided to pick one up today. The price was right as well at $167 CDN. The store was also 5 minutes away from my work so the planets came into alignment. Well, I give up. The 45a is not close to the quality of this unit either in the audio or video category. It's sitting in it's box at the present time. So far I have noticed tighter bass in greater quantity, a smooth frequency output that is warmer with more detail. More depth and air, especially with SACD. There was distortion there before which I didn't realize. It's gone now. SACD sounds totally different. This thing doesn't sound like it is converting DSD to PCM and if it is, it is doing a phenomenal job of it. I'm very happy after the few hours I have spent listening. The video wins hands down as well. More detail there as well. Both the player and my receiver will now decode the 640 Dolby on Pulse. So I can play it through the 6 analog and the digital out to the receiver. There is a firmware upgrade that I will download sometime in the next week that fixes some SACD menu issues and some DVD-A discs that it was having trouble with. The customer service apparently is excellent as well from what I have read. I recommend this unit without any negatives at this point. Totally incredible. A less than $200 expenditure just added a whole lot more $$$ to the sound and video quality of my system. There is better out there and this unit definately proves it at a very low price as well.
One question: Can I specify each/all format discs to be played, by default, in stereo with only 2 or 2.1 speakers? If so, this might be the machine for my office system.

Kal

One question: Can I specify each/all format discs to be played, by default, in stereo with only 2 or 2.1 speakers? If so, this might be the machine for my office system.

Kal

It's pretty similar to a lot of setups on universals out there. For SACD you can default to the stereo layer as it has a hierarchy. For DVD-A though you can only default to DVD-A or DVD-V if a DVD-A disc is played. So you would still need a display. For SACD as well you need a display as you navigate by choosing tracks on the TV. However, the last released firmware is supposed to fix this. Doesn't matter to me as I have the display on all the time pretty much. Otherwise the SACD will just start and play all the way through. Ylou can set that there is no centre or rear speakers or sub woofer. However, I'm not sure what "folding" would occur with that if you were playing a surround mix. Again, I will probably never know this as I am operating it with all 6 speakers set to "on".

It's pretty similar to a lot of setups on universals out there. For SACD you can default to the stereo layer as it has a hierarchy. For DVD-A though you can only default to DVD-A or DVD-V if a DVD-A disc is played. So you would still need a display. For SACD as well you need a display as you navigate by choosing tracks on the TV. However, the last released firmware is supposed to fix this. Doesn't matter to me as I have the display on all the time pretty much. Otherwise the SACD will just start and play all the way through. Ylou can set that there is no centre or rear speakers or sub woofer. However, I'm not sure what "folding" would occur with that if you were playing a surround mix. Again, I will probably never know this as I am operating it with all 6 speakers set to "on".
Thanks. Folding will probably not be an issue as, it seems, I can select the stereo tracks, if available. I may have to get another little monitor for this, though. I was hoping to avoid that.

Kal

I'm not sure whether I should be posting this either but here is what I just got back from Oppo Customer Service.

Guy,

Much like we support MP3 files but do not disclose this information, we are contractually not allowed to disclose DTS decoding.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
453 Ravendale Dr, Suite D
Mountain View, CA 94043
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Much like we support MP3 files but do not disclose this information, we are contractually not allowed to disclose DTS decoding.
OK. Posting it here on the web will keep it under the radar. ;)

Kal

I'm not sure whether I should be posting this either but here is what I just got back from Oppo Customer Service.

Guy,

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
453 Ravendale Dr, Suite D
Mountain View, CA 94043
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

I have no idea why Oppo can't disclose DTS decoding but that explains the non-disclosure. Pretty strange especially since the Oppo site does disclose that the DV971H decodes DTS. Winbase Electronics a large Chinese OEM manufactured the Oppo DV971H and I am almost certain manufactures the DV970HD as well for those that are considering this player and like to know specifics about manufacturing. Winbase is a very good OEM as far as I can tell and the DV971H is probably still tops in $200 DVD-V player category, at least for displays that aren't affected adversely by the Faroudja macroblocking enhancement problem. It sure now looks like the DV970HD is the $150 universal player to beat. Here is a link to the Winbase Electronics site:

http://winbase.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008807066462/Homepage.htm

I have found previously that Winbase has manufactured some DVD players for Cambridge Audio and BBK Electronics Corp. among others.

Chris

Mebbe they didn't/don't pay the license fee for the decoder on the 970 but do for the 971.

Kal

I sure don't have a better explanation. For all I know that could be right but I thought a fee was required to sell the DTS decoder, not advertise it. It would seem the fact the player has the decoder would require the fee. Since the DTS Digital Out logo is used for the DV970HD, they must be paying that licensing fee. Beats me, but that doesn't change the fact the player appears to be another winner from Oppo.

Chris

I think you are right but, just because one is required to pay a fee to sell the decoder, it doesn't mean they did.

Kal

If this player has a shortcoming it's in the high end. Perhaps it is a bit too smooth. I'm use to the 45a though which a lot of people on this forum say has an extreme top end. Probably over time I will appreciate the Oppo for it's treatment of my ears.

Also, there still seems to be a pause inserted in SACD's between tracks. If tracks flow together without a delineator then this will be a problem. If there is a silent spot between tracks it doesn't really matter. I believe Oppo is working on this and they will no doubt have it beaten soon with another firmware update beacuse they seem to take Customer Service and complaints very seriously. In the meantime, the SACD sounds so much better than the 45a that I will put up with this issue.

I also noticed while playing the PT - Arriving Somewhere DVD that the layer change during "So Called Friend" is totally gone now. It's seemless as if it wasn't there at all.

Back