2011 QQ eBay Shocker Log

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went through all of that last year. The only DTS versions of Moment Of Glory on "those sites" ;)are just m/c rips from the live DVD.
The quality is ok, but even the redbook version of the studio recording of MOG is superior in sound quality to these DVD rips.
If somebody actually knows of a site that has a DTS m/c STUDIO version of the album, you know what to do.
Just so you know, DTS discards 4/5ths of the original data, so the quality is going to be very poor, especially on a high end system. Also the conversion to PCM will degrade the data too. And of course you lose the advantage of DSD as well.

I went through all of that last year. The only DTS versions of Moment Of Glory on "those sites" ;)are just m/c rips from the live DVD.
The quality is ok, but even the redbook version of the studio recording of MOG is superior in sound quality to these DVD rips.
If somebody actually knows of a site that has a DTS m/c STUDIO version of the album, you know what to do.
Just so you know, DTS discards 4/5ths of the original data, so the quality is going to be very poor, especially on a high end system. Also the conversion to PCM will degrade the data too. And of course you lose the advantage of DSD as well.

This is not saying DTS is perfect, but, generally speaking about 75% of the content of an audio recording is redundant and can be eliminated with no loss at all - by that I mean it can be easily replaced by tokens and other lossless methods that reduce the bitrate but lose not one single bit of audio quality, plus, our hearing is nowhere near as accurate as we think it is (kind of like our memory). We can actually only hear probably 10% of all the 'sound' in an orchestral recording due to masking, etc... We can't even localize high frequency sounds, which is why I've never understood people's hatred of Dolby Digital's channel coupling.

What advantage of DSD would a person lose by using DTS - or any other system, not just lossy coder? I ask because I am unaware of any advantage DSD has over 20-bit 48k sampled Linear PCM.

:D
I wrote a little program to notify me by SMS whenever the Estocks "newly listed" SACD page has been updated.:D

Damm that was the thought I had but did not know how!

How long from listing to you purchasing?

You do realise you have destroyed me, I had just about weened myself off of repeatidly checking Estocks only for this to happen. I was convinced real people never actually got to grab the disks then you got Muse now Lovebox.:howl

I just hope you DON'T get the "falied QC" email.

Damm that was the thought I had but did not know how!

How long from listing to you purchasing?

You do realise you have destroyed me, I had just about weened myself off of repeatidly checking Estocks only for this to happen. I was convinced real people never actually got to grab the disks then you got Muse now Lovebox.:howl

I just hope you DON'T get the "falied QC" email.
You are still in with a chance, because I might not be near a PC when they update their SACD list.

That will be one of the mot expensive in the long run. Because the first one is always the hardest. Now it will just get easier. Eventually you will buy discs for 75 dollars and think "Well I didnt spend so much this time."

LOL, so true.

I've been thinking, I hope this doesn't open the floodgates now that I've broken the ice. My wallet can't take it.
Luckily this disc was at the top of my wish list so I'm unlikely to pay as much for anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back