2016 Surround Sound Grammy Nominations

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon, Admins, Folks,

We are the customers, therefore we are right. I suggest to establish a QQ Award for best surround sound album of the year. I also suggest to "officially" inform the artists and their management of the nominated and won albums about our awards. I know that our true votes lie in our purchases but our QQ Award might be appreciated by the artists, too.

Oh man, that would be an agonizing decision. So much good stuff coming out! :banana:

Steven has been nominated four times (for Fear of a Blank Planet, Grace For Drowning, The Incident & Storm Corrosion) but has never won the award.

2005 nominees

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/surround-music-awards-nominees-named#3HVVPbRxfpHo07p1.97

BEST STANDARD RESOLUTION TITLE

Deadwing; Porcupine Tree [DTS Entertainment]

2005 results
http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.co...urround-music-awards-winners-announced/399259

BEST MADE-FOR-SURROUND TITLE
DEADWING
Porcupine Tree
(DTS Entertainment)

I think we're talking about different awards here. In 2005 (the first year that a Grammy was awarded for surround sound mixing) the Grammy for best surround sound album went to Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company. You can see the complete history of the Grammy for surround sound here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Surround_Sound_Album

Glad to see though that even if the Grammy people can't be bothered, that someone is acknowledging Steven Wilson's amazing work.

privateuniverse is right. What Neil linked to concerning "Deadwing" was a different (short-lived) awards ceremony for Surround Music, completely separate from the Grammys.

The Surround Grammy is a total joke. I would bet 90% of the voters have never even heard a surround disc.

Steven Wilson is responsible for 8 of the Top 10 discs currently in the QQ HiRez Poll, including a few discs that should have been nominated THIS YEAR, but again he gets no recognition. Who is nominating these discs? Sure, the 2L discs are worthy, but last year (was it last year?) a freakin' VIDEO won the award. WTF?

There's some great NEW surround music coming out as well as some terrific classic albums ready to be rediscovered through great new surround mixes, but they get no publicity or recognition.

I mean, really, why bother even having a surround category at all. Shoot, IMHO, "ANTIQUASAURIA" is worthy of a Grammy nomination. It's current, it's a great album, and it's a damn fine surround mix. I doubt any Grammy voter has even heard of it.... or for that matter, any of the 5 nominated titles.

:howl

IMHO, ALL the Award Shows are jokes............usually politically motivated as well (who sells the MOST)! And there should also be a separate Popular and Classical Surround category, as well. And probably, 99.9% of the voters don't even have a surround system in their homes.

That Steve Wilson, Elliot Scheiner, Bob Clearmountain, et alia, continue to remix into 5.1 is OUR little secret. Who needs stinkin' award shows to bolster our perception of what is good or GREAT? :sun

The Surround Grammy is a total joke. I would bet 90% of the voters have never even heard a surround disc.

Steven Wilson is responsible for 8 of the Top 10 discs currently in the QQ HiRez Poll, including a few discs that should have been nominated THIS YEAR, but again he gets no recognition. Who is nominating these discs? Sure, the 2L discs are worthy, but last year (was it last year?) a freakin' VIDEO won the award. WTF?

There's some great NEW surround music coming out as well as some terrific classic albums ready to be rediscovered through great new surround mixes, but they get no publicity or recognition.

I mean, really, why bother even having a surround category at all. Shoot, IMHO, "ANTIQUASAURIA" is worthy of a Grammy nomination. It's current, it's a great album, and it's a damn fine surround mix. I doubt any Grammy voter has even heard of it.... or for that matter, any of the 5 nominated titles.

:howl

So Jon, we go through this exercise every year. It has been stated time and time again that the Grammy's are out of touch. It is driven purely as a marketing exercise for the major labels and their affiliates. The surround category is simply and afterthought to an already superficial award show. I assure you the only people paying attention to the Grammy for surround category are the members of QQ and the actual nominees - neither of which will ever actually benefit from anything other than "validation." The nominations for the Grammy for Surround are made by the Sound Engineering committee made up by a group of self serving old cronies, the voting is then made by the general membership of NARAS - most of whom are instructed to vote according to party (label) lines.

You want a valid award for Surround - then let's give it the QQ treatment. Make it simple - each member here nominates 5 releases - no genre separation. To make it even easier you can determine the eligible nominees for the initial nomination process. The top 5 are presented for voting and the results are tallied. If you want to break it down by best mixer and best overall release then so be it. Issue a general press release and there you go. We won't have the superstar laden, slickly produced TV show viewed by millions , but we will have an honest and heartfelt result that I'm sure will provide satisfaction to both the members here and the nominees/winners.

Yep, not only has Elliot Scheiner been nominated more in this category, but he's won the Surround Grammy 4 times, as many times as Steven Wilson has been nominated.

Ah so this category is not all bad then.. :D ..why not just give it to either E. Scheiner or S. Wilson every alternate year by default..

If only E. Scheiner would do more mixes..!! :howl: (he has been quiet lately don't you think?).. or at least that more of his mixes would actually get released so they could be nominated..

.I hate the "politics" that gets in the way of the music but it is the 'music business' after all.. :rolleyes:

So.. When are we hosting the inaugural "Golden QQ" awards Jon? :eek:

No Steven Wilson
No Andy Jackson
No Elliot Schenier
No Bob Clearmountain

Seems to be a badge of honor not to be nominated though it looks like Morten Lindberg has a good chance but will probably go to the ultra conservative extended stereo mixes of Mr Guthrie

I think we're talking about different awards here. In 2005 (the first year that a Grammy was awarded for surround sound mixing) the Grammy for best surround sound album went to Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company. You can see the complete history of the Grammy for surround sound here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Surround_Sound_Album

Glad to see though that even if the Grammy people can't be bothered, that someone is acknowledging Steven Wilson's amazing work.

That would explain it!

No Steven Wilson
No Andy Jackson
No Elliot Schenier
No Bob Clearmountain

Seems to be a badge of honor not to be nominated though it looks like Morten Lindberg has a good chance but will probably go to the ultra conservative extended stereo mixes of Mr Guthrie

That's just this year though, as all of the individuals you mentioned have been nominated for this award in the past.
Steven Wilson's surround-nominated mixes include: "Fear of a Blank Planet", "The Incident", "Grace for Drowning", and "Storm Corrosion".
Andy Jackson was nominated last year for "The Division Bell", which should have won, but let's face it, it's very difficult to compete with Beyonce…
Elliot Scheiner has won the award 3 times (I know I said 4 earlier but I was wrong). The winning mixes were "Morph the Cat", "Layla", and (ironically) "Beyonce", while his surround mix for "In Your Honor" was also nominated but lost to "Brothers in Arms".
Finally, Bob Clearmountain's surround mix of "Avalon" was nominated in the first year of this category's existence but lost to "Genius Loves Company".

The question still remains, are some of their best surround mixes of the last 4 years or so even put forth by the labels to be voted upon for nomination? My guess is no… :( :mad:

Back