3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on blu~ray.com's glowing recommendation I ordered Ant~Man and the Wasp [3D BD~V] from AmazonUK: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ant-Man-and-the-Wasp-3D-Blu-ray/211771/#Review

According to the site, Disney will not be releasing this title domestically but it is REGION FREE!

81M13iBJ2wL._SL1500_.jpg

Great 3-D in Antman and the Wasp..

And unlike the 4K and 2-D View attachment 37380bluray versions, the 3-D bluray retains the IMAX shifting aspect ratios.

View attachment 37380

I did read that in the review regarding the shifting IMAX aspect ratios [3D version ONLY] as opposed to the 4K/2D versions. Another reason to buy it.

It's amazing how the US companies are no longer offering 3D ....... it's still somewhat active in Europe .....but at least they're Region Free [and if not I do have a region free OPPO 205].

BTW, Aquaman 3D has also been announced:

11999756-1704634162596683.jpg

Watched 2 3D movies on my new projektor tonight - Piranha 3D (2010) - haha, what a movie o_O nice 3D effects.

I have only seen demos of 3D on small screens before - on 65" tvs - and it never did it for me. So I never got me a 3D blu ray player. The 3D movies I have - was not purchased for the 3D - just that the price for the 3D (with the 2d included) was lower than the regular.

But my new projector does 3D - and both Xbox One and PS4, that I have - does 3D.

And then I put on Gravity (2013) - 3D version - my jaw just dropped - it was an awesome experience, just fantastic! And it does have a very nice surround mix.

Looking forward to watch the 10 more 3D movies that I have - and the 15 I just ordered!!!!

Watched 2 3D movies on my new projektor tonight - Piranha 3D (2010) - haha, what a movie o_O nice 3D effects.

I have only seen demos of 3D on small screens before - on 65" tvs - and it never did it for me. So I never got me a 3D blu ray player. The 3D movies I have - was not purchased for the 3D - just that the price for the 3D (with the 2d included) was lower than the regular.

But my new projector does 3D - and both Xbox One and PS4, that I have - does 3D.

And then I put on Gravity (2013) - 3D version - my jaw just dropped - it was an awesome experience, just fantastic! And it does have a very nice surround mix.

Looking forward to watch the 10 more 3D movies that I have - and the 15 I just ordered!!!!

Spock, I'm in the market for a 3D projector and of course have been spoiled [rotten] by the LG OLED 3D TV so what projector are you currently utilizing?

I would recomend to watch in 3D: Doctor Strange, the Walk, Ant-man, Guardians of the galaxy, 3D Rarities, Life of Pi, Avatar and a Turtles Tale 2 (not to be missed)

Spock, I'm in the market for a 3D projector and of course have been spoiled [rotten] by the LG OLED 3D TV so what projector are you currently utilizing?

Yes, OLED tv's are excellent - but I just don't get the "cinema-feeling" watching movies on them. They are great for gaming, sports and tv-series though. I have to have at least 100" to make movies work for me.

I just got an Epson EH-TW7300 projektor - on sale, nice price. It has great contrast, sharpness, optics etc. But suffers from not very good black levels.

But I have done som adjustments to get better blacks - grey screen, ND filter etc. And the active 3D glasses are dark - so it helps :ROFLMAO:

You can get a whole lot better projectors - mine was about $1500 - very happy with it for the price!

I’ve never been able to watch 3D TV in action because I lost most of my vision in my right eye in 2007 due to GLACOMA ☹

But I’m sure it’s pretty much a dead medium anyhow ....

IMHO was a gimmick to get more folks to spend more $$$ on TV’s

I Love good 3D. Just saw Alita Battle Angel in 3D. Great movie decent with a few stunning scenes in 3D. When I see it again flat Ill be able to judge how good the 3D was.

I think good 3D and check out those 1950s movies restored with 3D add to the story and is worth it if the movie was filmed with 3D in mind and not just a post filming hack conversion.

I have an early Sony 4K TV that does passive 3D. It is lacking HDR dolby vision and other 4K refinements but I am reluctant to upgrade to a new TV preferably OLED because I will lose 3D capability.

I am hoping when the new Avatar sequels come out it will spur an interest in 3D here in America and TV sets will offer it again. Movie theaters here are still playing 3D movies and collecting an extra $5 per ticket....

So no I do not believe it was just a gimmick but agree that bad 3D is well bad.....

I’ve never been able to watch 3D TV in action because I lost most of my vision in my right eye in 2007 due to GLACOMA ☹

But I’m sure it’s pretty much a dead medium anyhow ....

IMHO was a gimmick to get more folks to spend more $$$ on TV’s
[/QUOTE

Sorry about the loss of vision in your right eye but I have to disagree with your theory that 3D is a tired old gimmick.

With the advent of LG's OLED 3D TVs, for the first time I was able to REALLY enjoy 3D at home. It's absolutely stunning and actually extends the parameters of one's TV to way beyond the actual screen size. And most well replicated 3D movies almost look like stunning 4K.

Most unfortunately, like Hi Res surround music, 3D will always remain a niche market and for one reason or another, Joe Public has failed to embrace the format so TV manufacturers and software companies ceased production of the format.

A few 3D titles are currently being released in Europe [Region Free] and sporadically, a few are being released stateside but akin to even sales of UHD 4K titles, it seems the majority of consumers are unimpressed.

Had 3D transitioned to Native 4K, I can only imagine the momentous uptick in resolution but if and when that happens, I have to say I'm VERY impressed at the capability of current technology in resolving superb 3D images, the likes of which have neve before been available to the home consumer.

I thought I was done with 3D but when Warner Braaaas announcement of the forthcoming Aquaman, it interested me again. Placed a pre-order on Amazon and a few days later, I received an email, the 3D version had been canceled. My guess is that there probably wasn’t enough preorders. So, I’m done. :rolleyes:

Bummer. Keep an eye out for a possible European release [region free] as there's still interest overseas for 3D. https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/aquaman-3d/11999756.html

BTW, if you pre~order AQUAMAN 3D from Zavvi NOW, they're offering a further 10% discount if you enter OSCARS in the promo code box. With s/h to the States total price is £21.98. [$28.67 US]. I did pre~order it.

Last edited:
I thought I was done with 3D but when Warner Braaaas announcement of the forthcoming Aquaman, it interested me again. Placed a pre-order on Amazon and a few days later, I received an email, the 3D version had been canceled. My guess is that there probably wasn’t enough preorders. So, I’m done. :rolleyes:
For a certain strange reason, in Mexico almost every movie that has been released theatrically in 3d is also released in blu ray 3d......right now in Amazon Mexico you can buy it as a preorder.

Back