4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must have played "Pick up the Pieces" in CD-4 for everyone I knew back in the '70s. It was truly a quad track that made an impression. (Sadly, as with most of my quad demos to others, no one leaped at the opportunity to get a quad system of their own)
I have people come to my house to listen to surround sound, but I don’t know of anyone who has been convinced to set up their own system. I guess they think it’s cool, but too expensive. Of course, just about everyone I know is retired, so they’re set in their ways.

"failing" a Quadio BD of the AWB 😅 i'd very merrily take a 4 disc buffet silver platter of any of these WEA treasures
(in no particular hors d'oeurve.. 🤤 )

View attachment 95026

James Gang " Miami", Eagles "On The Border", Frank Zappa "Apostrophe", Bette Midler "The Divine Miss M.", James Taylor "Gorilla", Eagles "One Of These Nights", Herbie Mann "Reggae", Gordon Lightfoot "Sundown"

View attachment 95027

The Spinners; "Spinners", "New & Improved", Pick Of The Litter", Dionne Warwicke "Then Came You", Gil Evans "Svengali", Charlie Mingus "Mingus Moves", Duke Ellington "New Orleans Suite", Donny Hathaway "Extension Of A Man"

View attachment 95028

Graham Central Station; S/T, Ain't No Bout A Doubt It, Roberta Flack "Killing Me Softly", Deaf School "2nd Honeymoon", America "Holiday", Deep Purple "Machine Head", Sergio Mendes "Sergio Mendes" (underappreciated imho, has a super discrete Quad mix).

Pretty good batch of CD-4's there fredblue, but really, no "Late for the Sky"???

"failing" a Quadio BD of the AWB 😅 i'd very merrily take a 4 disc buffet silver platter of any of these WEA treasures

View attachment 95026

James Gang " Miami", Eagles "On The Border", Frank Zappa "Apostrophe", Bette Midler "The Divine Miss M.", James Taylor "Gorilla", Eagles "One Of These Nights", Herbie Mann "Reggae", Gordon Lightfoot "Sundown"

View attachment 95027

The Spinners; "Spinners", "New & Improved", Pick Of The Litter", Dionne Warwicke "Then Came You", Gil Evans "Svengali", Charlie Mingus "Mingus Moves", Duke Ellington "New Orleans Suite", Donny Hathaway "Extension Of A Man"

View attachment 95028

Graham Central Station; S/T, Ain't No Bout A Doubt It, Roberta Flack "Killing Me Softly", Deaf School "2nd Honeymoon", America "Holiday", Deep Purple "Machine Head", Sergio Mendes "Sergio Mendes" (underappreciated imho, has a super discrete Quad mix).
The Frank Zappa has not been controlled by Warner for at least 37 years. So I would have added a title that has been added to the Warner catalog, like... um... ZZ Top.

The Frank Zappa has not been controlled by Warner for at least 37 years. So I would have added a title that has been added to the Warner catalog, like... um... ZZ Top.
Hope to get new Atmos and 5.1 mixes along with new quad transfers in an inevitable Apostrophe/Over-Nite Sensation box set from UMe.

It’s the 50th anniversary of those sessions this year so we should be seeing an announcement soon. Over-Nite Sensation was released in September 1973 and Apostrophe in March 74.

View attachment 95026

View attachment 95027

View attachment 95028

I love that Deaf School album!!!!

i generally want titles that were not released on Q4 so Jackson Browne is at the top of my list..then...Joni-Court and Spark, Eagles -One of these nights, and Seals & Crofts-Summer Breeze. In the first lot ''Paranoid" was my first choice by far because the Q4 was unobtanium. I had recently bought the Paranoid CD-4 and it cost me $70 plus shipping, so getting the quadio in the package deal was amazing. My guess is the next batch will include hot tuna, carly or joni, a jazz title and maybe another starship. Like you all, I have many box sets sitting around just looking pretty, so these quadios are my FIRST CHOICE in surround music. They are fantastic!

Last edited:
"you are the one, the one i truly need.." 🙏🤞💘

View attachment 95025

sadly there was no Quad Reel to Reel of this beauty back in the day, AWB was only ever released on Q8 tape and CD-4 LP, yet through the sandpapery cracklefest and hissy haze of ye olde Quad formats we can still enjoy what i am willing to declare one of the all-time best "Rock & Pop" Quad mixes ever, yep. this is the one, the one you truly need. (oh shit, i've done that joke already 😆🤦‍♀️ )

if ever a WEA Quad deserved the Quadio treatment, this my fellow Quad addicts, is it.

oh g'waan oh Foraging one, put a fat old drunk out of his misery this October, will ya..!? 🙏😳🤯🍻

pretty please?? with 192kHz on the top! 😅🥰🤞
The Q8 was one of the first two (and so far only) I picked up. It's a great album and a great mix! And a perfect candidate for a Quadio makeover, @ForagingRhino. 😉

I must have played "Pick up the Pieces" in CD-4 for everyone I knew back in the '70s. It was truly a quad track that made an impression. (Sadly, as with most of my quad demos to others, no one leaped at the opportunity to get a quad system of their own)

Accounting for inflation, good sound or Hi-Fi systems (as they were once called) were expensive. We had some nice kit in the house when I was growing up, and lived in a trailer for much of it. The speakers, phono, and receiver were the nicest things my parents owned. I can't imagine how expensive getting compatible gear for quad playback (plus an extra set of good speakers) cost.

Now the entry to the hobby is much less expensive overall, and if thinking purely digital, very flexible as you can also play movies in surround off the same setup.

i'm such a good wee Quaddy i ran out and got some more CD-4's from storage to take a few piccies for more forum fun 😅😆

these would all be super cool in Quadio form as well of course but i can't see any making it out on Blu-ray in October, maybe 1 or 2 of the bigger albums might be up for consideration down the line, who knows if the next batch do well anything's possible i guess..!? 🤔

IMG_0593.jpeg

Souther Hillman Furay Band; S/T & "Trouble In Paradise", Gordon Lightfoot "Cold On The Shoulder", James Taylor "One Man Dog", Joni Mitchell "Court & Spark" (can't find my CD-4 of "Hissing.." 🤷🏻‍♀️😭 ), Arlo Guthrie "Last Of The Brooklyn Cowboys", Mickey Newbury "Frisco Mabel Joy", Best Of The New Seekers

IMG_0594.jpeg

Seals & Crofts; "Unborn Child", "Diamond Girl", "Summer Breeze", "I'll Play For You", Bill Wyman "Monkey Grip", Brad Miller "Sound In Motion" (maybe in the form of bonus tracks on the end of a short album?), Mystic Moods "Love The One You're With" (another long shot but it's the only Quad of theirs that DTS didn't release on DTS CD), Herbie Mann "Hold On, I'm Comin'"

IMG_0595.jpeg

Carly Simon; "Playing Possum", "S/T", "No Secrets", "Hotcakes", The Best Of Carly Simon, Bread "Baby, I'm A Want You"

i'm such a good wee Quaddy i ran out and got some more CD-4's from storage to take a few piccies for more forum fun 😅😆

these would all be super cool in Quadio form as well of course but i can't see any making it out on Blu-ray in October, maybe 1 or 2 of the bigger albums might be up for consideration down the line, who knows if the next batch do well anything's possible i guess..!? 🤔

View attachment 95039

Souther Hillman Furay Band; S/T & "Trouble In Paradise", Gordon Lightfoot "Cold On The Shoulder", James Taylor "One Man Dog", Joni Mitchell "Court & Spark" (can't find my CD-4 of "Hissing.." 🤷🏻‍♀️😭 ), Arlo Guthrie "Last Of The Brooklyn Cowboys", Mickey Newbury "Frisco Mabel Joy", Best Of The New Seekers

View attachment 95040

Seals & Crofts; "Unborn Child", "Diamond Girl", "Summer Breeze", "I'll Play For You", Bill Wyman "Monkey Grip", Brad Miller "Sound In Motion" (maybe in the form of bonus tracks on the end of a short album?), Mystic Moods "Love The One You're With" (another long shot but it's the only Quad of theirs that DTS didn't release on DTS CD), Herbie Mann "Hold On, I'm Comin'"

View attachment 95041

Carly Simon; "Playing Possum", "S/T", "No Secrets", "Hotcakes", The Best Of Carly Simon, Bread "Baby, I'm A Want You"
Those are some GREAT titles.. :SG

View attachment 95026

View attachment 95027

View attachment 95028

Love it but needs more Tres Hombres if Rhino is listening.

Heard the name way back but not their music.
Surprised they were released in Quad.
Need to find me some samples.
the Deaf School Quad is a fairly obscure Warner UK CD-4 LP release from late in Quad's life.

Warner in the U.S. had called it a day already but we're a bit behind the times in Blighty 🇬🇧 so Warner UK staggered on for another release or 4 before throwing in the towel in late 1976 😋

it's got a really fun mix that's surprisingly active with round the room pans and cool stuff like that 🥳🤩

Back