4x RCA to HDMI for Quadraphonic Record Player / Quad Demodulator to Use On HDMI Only System

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have need for that sort of crimping tool but here's two of the wire strippers I have.
This one is adjustable and I use it for 18 gauge and smaller, mostly pc stuff:
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=wire strippers&refinement=4294965654
This one has provisions for various size wire and is a hoss:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-Wire-Strippers/3095867
I've been using both for years.
I found one just like that on Amazon. Seeing so many of the exact same crimpers by different brands, you could probably have them put your name on it and sell them as your own brand! Sitting here without a manual trying to think if the " function mode record output" is the same as a Pre-amp and will work to a powered sub... 🤔 I'm trying to get this out put through RCA but if I have to run speaker wire to the sub I can but I'll need to buy a couple line to RCA adapter.

Attachments

• PXL_20230312_020937720.jpg
    PXL_20230312_020937720.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I don't have need for that sort of crimping tool but here's two of the wire strippers I have.
This one is adjustable and I use it for 18 gauge and smaller, mostly pc stuff:
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=wire strippers&refinement=4294965654
This one has provisions for various size wire and is a hoss:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-Wire-Strippers/3095867
I've been using both for years.
My Ideal stripper has seen over 50 years of reliable use. I’ve replaced the blades once, and have a spare set, so I figure I’m set until I’m 105.

One of the great things about this forum , the current original poster will find, is that there are knowledgeable discussions about things that one may not even have thought was a question.

The lack of multi channel inputs is a problem here at QQ. Unfortunately it is NOT a problem for the manufacturer's of retail consumer equipment because they don't care about Quad vinyl of any stripe, nor of people using Surround masters, nor even do they seem to care about people playing DVD-A and SACD and BD-A. (and preferring to use Oppos excellent D/A converters rather than the ones in receivers and processors).

You are not going to be able to go from four channel RCA (a format that was commercially obsolete in 1976 or so) into HDMI. If you want to play your quad LPs you will need to get something that has analog inputs. Like say a ten or fifteen year old Pre Processor. You could then get a two matching stereo amps and put those speakers on speaker selector switch boxes.

I note that you are in St. Louis and I have a SchMarantz AV7005 pre processor that is at the moment , not hooked up. I might be able to be lured into bringing it over.

Also if there was any chance of doing what you are trying to do, it is likely that someone here would have already tried it. However from time to time we have posts and inquiries and things we would like to do that just are not doable. I think your situation falls into that unfortunate category.
Just following up on this and I posting something similar in another thread and figure since you are local we should plan a quadraphonic jam session, if we have to rent out a place or get in touch with a record store nearby to throw the idea up as time is not on our side with vintage electronics in the world we live in today. In the past few weeks it seems people are harvesting these quad systems to grow more. I hope that's the case, as people brag they have 2-50 quad amps sitting in their storage. Seeing how active this thread is I might as well ask here, if anyone has one hooked up I really just want to hear what it's all about. I will fly out to you and bring some of my favorite quad and non quad albums to compare how it sounds. If I can hear a difference I'll keep trying to find my own, if I can't then I can say I actually heard wave matching tech in person before there were none left to hear it at all.

I bought a lug kit back in the day that had a crimper stripper like that. It bit me hard and it actually could have been much harder but I was lucky and young and still had reactions. Since then I have called those out whenever I have seen them and told whomever would listen to throw them away.

Ratcheting crimpers do make a better crimp.

https://www.grainger.com/product/STA-KON-Ratchet-Crimper-10-AWG-12-4XMR5
https://www.grainger.com/product/WE...IDP_Switch_Save--Link2&sas_sku_original=4XMR5
Can you recommend anyone local that can repair a horrid hum on the left side and wa wa wa like a SQ gone rogue? Any idea the average repair cost to go in and replace a bunch of caps? I'm within a return policy and seeing what I can find out in 14 days or less.

It's been an interesting month, my Ebay adventures, scored an AT20Sla from Germany the seller refused to put it in a box and customs twice won't allow a padded envelope to leave the country. I scored a Lafayette LR-5000 that came with no padding from the shippers paid shipping service and would not turn on. I scored a LR-4000 and it hums and crackles all over the right channels and the quad SQ literally has the wa-was! The one positive I got which I haven't even had time to test is a AT15SS guy was selling a stylus for it that would fit the AT20Sla I never ended up with, and he threw in the cartridge! It's not the boron version but happy something came through after everything else! Glad to say the switch and the LA-64 work quite well having a built in SQ-L decoder. Been trying out stereo records with SQ on to hear what it does and it really sounds better than I've ever heard music otherwise.

To me, another great reason to have a way of converting multi-channel analog audio outputs to HDMI is the fact that the room correction/compensation technology (e.g., Audyssey) in modern receivers do not work for sources connected to the multi-channel analog inputs. So even if you have a Surround Master connected to your receiver through the multi-channel analog inputs, you won't get the benefits of whatever room correction/compensation system your receiver can use for other inputs.

To me, another great reason to have a way of converting multi-channel analog audio outputs to HDMI is the fact that the room correction/compensation technology (e.g., Audyssey) in modern receivers do not work for sources connected to the multi-channel analog inputs. So even if you have a Surround Master connected to your receiver through the multi-channel analog inputs, you won't get the benefits of whatever room correction/compensation system your receiver can use for other inputs.
Perhaps, but you also spare your music another a>d>a conversion by staying analog.

Do you have both analog and HDMI inputs?
Only asking 'cause if you have HDMI you could still run the speaker setup, Audyssey/Dirac/Whatever.
You wouldn't be measuring the equipment so much as the room/speaker acoustics.

It should be a goal that if your source/system/speakers/room is set in best possible you don't need digital room correction/compensation. With effort that's how it worked out for me.

Do you have both analog and HDMI inputs?
Only asking 'cause if you have HDMI you could still run the speaker setup, Audyssey/Dirac/Whatever.
You wouldn't be measuring the equipment so much as the room/speaker acoustics.
I don't quite understand your response. My point was that you can't run speaker setup for the multi-channel analog inputs on modern equipment, and any vintage or modern quad decoder only has analog outputs, not HDMI.

Just a quick note. It would be helpful if people mentioned Exactly what type of Amp they have and are taking about. That way, we can help by checking the manual for a particular piece of equipment to see what it can or cannot do. Thanks.

It should be a goal that if your source/system/speakers/room is set in best possible you don't need digital room correction/compensation. With effort that's how it worked out for me.
Should be a goal to build a perfect room, select only furniture appropriate for the sound devices, optimally place all equipment?
Ah come on Wiz.
My audio is in a crowded bedroom. If it weren't for room correction I'd be royally, well messed up. ;)

Should be a goal to build a perfect room, select only furniture appropriate for the sound devices, optimally place all equipment?
Ah come on Wiz.
My audio is in a crowded bedroom. If it weren't for room correction I'd be royally, well messed up. ;)
I certainly don't claim to have a perfect room. But it is good gear carefully set up and attention paid to room acoustics . It is "good enough" that I can't see what dig room correction would bring as an improvement. Analog out from my SM or Oppo into my Anthem analog in sounds great. The Anthem is straight through no processing except for balance/volume that is also analog.

I guess the bigger point I'm failing to make is if Analog direct in a receiver sounds noticeably worse than with processing then do what you can to analyze why and fix it if possible .

I agree the more challenging a play back environment is the more it would benefit from dig room correction like yours. And maybe its even more useful with ATMOS, I dunno. But I get the impression that too many people use this as a crutch not a band aid.

Last edited:
I certainly don't claim to have a perfect room. But it is good gear carefully set up and attention paid to room acoustics . It is "good enough" that I can't see what dig room correction would bring as an improvement.
Closer-to-linear/ideal frequency (magnitude) and timing response, for one. No loudspeaker is perfectly flat (anechoically), and it's often impossible to get identical distance-to-MLP for each speaker.

I certainly don't claim to have a perfect room. But it is good gear carefully set up and attention paid to room acoustics . It is "good enough" that I can't see what dig room correction would bring as an improvement. Analog out from my SM or Oppo into my Anthem analog in sounds great. The Anthem is straight through no processing except for balance/volume that is also analog.

I guess the bigger point I'm failing to make is if Analog direct in a receiver sounds noticeably worse than with processing then do what you can to analyze why and fix it if possible .

I agree the more challenging a play back environment is the more it would benefit from dig room correction like yours. And maybe its even more useful with ATMOS, I dunno. But I get the impression that too many people use this as a crutch not a band aid.
Well I have no idea what other people do in the general populous, though if I am correct at least some find programs like Dirac Live useful.
I no longer have the luxury of a large, wide open room to select speaker placement. I'm in a crowded, smallish room, and there are only so many options for speaker placement.

Please note I'm not taking this personally. But like the man says, walk a mile in my shoes.

Whether you and those who agree with your post think so or not, the bullet meets the bone when you find a solution that works - when optimal speaker placement is not possible.
For any to say it's a crutch, which implies lack of trying or maybe even laziness...well all can think what they will. I have moved my overhead speakers several times in pursuit of the optimal sound. So picture a 73 year old with multiple physical problems up on a ladder doing these things, all because I want the best from what I have.
As far as Atmos, that's not actually the point here, is it? Other than more speakers require more obstacles to overcome and defeat.

Again, when it comes to analog out, I really don't care what method people employ to enjoy their music, I prefer HDMI but I'm not an evangelical witness for it. All should do as they see fit.

Back