5.1 Super Sessions & 1st B.S & T

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texquad

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Al Kooper has finished mixing surround-sound versions of Super Session--the album he cut with the late Michael Bloomfield--and the first Blood, Sweat and Tears album, Child Is Father to the Man. He says they will be out in March. Kooper is also working on a new studio album called Songs From the Basement. He says he has more than 130 unreleased tracks in his basement.

texquad said:
Al Kooper has finished mixing surround-sound versions of Super Session--the album he cut with the late Michael Bloomfield--and the first Blood, Sweat and Tears album, Child Is Father to the Man. He says they will be out in March. Kooper is also working on a new studio album called Songs From the Basement. He says he has more than 130 unreleased tracks in his basement.

I saw Al live last month. GREAT SHOW!! A couple of those new tunes are good. I hoping someone in the U.S. will release the new CD. Al says only a Japan release is confirmed so far.

Since SUPER SESSION was issued in quad, don't feel as bad about it as CHILD, which wasn't issued in 4-channel but would have been great that way and, IMO, a superior album. Sigh....

ED :)

Since SUPER SESSION was issued in quad, don't feel as bad about it as CHILD, which wasn't issued in 4-channel but would have been great that way and, IMO, a superior album. Sigh....

I have a Quad R/R copy
of that B/S/Tears not released
Ron

I have a Quad R/R copy
Ron
Hello,

I recently loaned my very good condition Canadian Q8 of the BS&T selftitled release to Gerardo for conversion. If you were to do the same with your title, the two could be combined for release on the same disc via QpS.

Just a thought...

Hello,

I recently loaned my very good condition Canadian Q8 of the BS&T selftitled release to Gerardo for conversion. If you were to do the same with your title, the two could be combined for release on the same disc via QpS.

Just a thought...

Sounds like a plan to me!:D

Justin

Hello,

Just a thought...

I whole heartedly second this idea.

I have a Quad R/R copy
Ron

Hello Ron,

Not sure if you are familiar with the Quadraphonic Preservation Society but this BS&T title that you have is just the sort of thing that the members aspire to preserve. Would certainly understand your reluctance to let this jewel out of your sight.

Maybe you could hook-up with ChristpherLees to dub a copy for the society to work with.

Forever the optimist:)...David

All I have the S/T BS&T on is Quad LP. I converted it already to DTS, and boy it sounds good! As far is Child Is Father...try running it though a TATE or a good SQ converter. Its sounds pretty darn good. Not as good obviously as what can be done nowadays, of course.

I revive this very old thread to add something I found in Wikipedia (not always the whole thruth and nothing but)
In late 2004 Al Kooper released this statement:
“ To the best of my knowledge, based on an unnamed source, the new head of SONY/BMG shut down the 5.1 SACD department and let everyone go. A year and a half ago I remixed Super Session and Child Is Father To The Man for them in 5.1 SACD. They both came out incredible and so I mastered them with Bob Ludwig.Now it seems they will languish on the shelves under the current administration of SONY/BMG., ........ Typical, in soooo many ways."
Their comment may or may not have anything to do with it.
The reason for this is that a legal challenge has been made that Super Audio disks contain up to three complete recordings of a work; one in the Hybrid CD compatible layer and two in the SACD layer, a stereo version and a possible multiple channel version.

Of course, if this is true, record companies could be legally liable for up to three sets of royalties. Since this would make the record much more expensive, it appears that most companies are avoiding this issue, if there is any contention at all, by simply cancelling the release of the SACD version.

Sad, very sad.

We've discussed the 'triple royalties' issue before, but it should come down to this: if the labels took the approach that these were boutique titles, it would have made sense simply to pay the extra royalty fees and charge the consumer appropriately. This would have added extra cost, of course, but also would have got the product to us. Since these titles would not have sold in huge numbers anyway (as most reissues only do modest business at best), this should have been a fair and sensible solution.

Of course the other solution would, equally logically, have been to simply issue a 5.1-only disc, or a CD/DVD-A edition with separate discs, as many have already done. Or, release them in, say, England, where royalty calculations are different, leaving us to buy them as imports.

If people would pay $30 for a "Gold Disc" 20 years ago, then an SACD or DVD-A with 3 mixes on it surely could have held the same niche marketplace. Remember, Columbia, RCA, WB, they all got into the Gold Disc game at one point.

The duplicate royalty for DVD-A and triplicate royalty for SACD is a big problem, so is the additional mixing and manufacturing cost, but the bigger problem appears to be demand at any price that makes it all work. Surround music is a premium product that justifies a premium price for some but so far not enough. One format with a unified effort from all music companies is what needs to happen and hopefully it will.

Chris

Back