A birthday Gift

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secondslc

Ever since I got my 4400 my brother has been obsessed with setting up a true quad system in order to listen to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Since I got the 4400 for the scope and to run under bridged mode, I never really looked into this stuff. Now, I have a crazy idea, I want to set him up with an SQ system. From what I understand, thats what Pink Floyd quad albums were released with (at least...the ones I can afford/find).

I have been told that Pro-Logic II decodes SQ quite well, but I like the look and sound of vintage receivers. Does Pro-Logic IIx work, as thats all I'm finding. Since I know nothing about post 1980s stuff, what brand/model should I look out for?

I know there is DVD-A and SACD versions, but those are encoded differently, and I really want to give it to him in vinyl.

I was looking at vintage receivers with built in SQ decoders to save a bit of cash, but the consensus is that the built in decoders left a lot to be desired. My last, most preferred, but most expensive resort is to invest in another Marantz quad. A pre-out for future expansion leaves me with the 4400, 4300, and 4270. THEN, i have to get a decoder, is the SQA-2 the best I can get? I have a SQA-1 for the 4400 that I have to install, will that even do its job?

Can anybody suggest another SQ quad setup that would be marantz quality without the price tag? I am looking for pre-outs and SQ capability as minimal requirements.

Oh, he has a decent Technics Turntable with a new Grado cartridge, I think that would work for now.

No modern decoder can decode SQ properly. You need a vintage SQ-specific decoder to get the best results. mtgc's suggestion for a Lafayette SQ-W is a good one. If you're on a budget, the Lafayette SQ-L will do nicely but is not as good as the SQ-W. If you're serious and want the best SQ decoder, hold out for a Fosgate Tate II 101a.

I'm not familiar with the decoding quality of the Marantz plug-ins for the 4400, but I'm sure others who are will chime in.

I'm not a Marantz expert, but if you can find the SQ-A2 plug in card for your receiver, you will get decent SQ performance. The earlier version are lacking definition.

As for outboard boxes, take Cai's suggestion and find a Lafayette SQ decoder. There are a TON of Sony and Columbia decoders out there, and many of them are total junk.

I got a Sony SQD-2050 off eBay for about 10 bucks because the case was kind of beat up.

I was totally surprised by the quality of the decoding from this unit. Separation is more than adequate and the fidelity is great.

I redid the case and now it looks good too.

Doug

Get the RM (QS) version of DSOTM from Japan, that will decode well with a DPLII decoder. That is an option if you don't already have the SQ record.

vinylguy4

Back